From Councillor Fletcher’s open house:

Your Question: Who will be paying for putting a line underground?

Peter’s Answer: We will be paying for putting the Riverside section underground the same way the rest of the Ontario Line will be paid for - by government funding. Interestingly the most recent Business Case for the line shows it will cost up to $3B less than originally thought which gives financial room for these changes. Peter
Rob Kaufman, Assistant to Peter Tabuns, MPP

Where do those $3B lower costs come from?

Also, Government Funding sounds great. Certainly not my money out of my wallet. Sounds great. But wait, where does any government getting money from? a) printing press b) ???
Do you have a link to the open house?

From Councillor Fletcher’s open house:

Your Question: Who will be paying for putting a line underground?

Peter’s Answer: We will be paying for putting the Riverside section underground the same way the rest of the Ontario Line will be paid for - by government funding. Interestingly the most recent Business Case for the line shows it will cost up to $3B less than originally thought which gives financial room for these changes. Peter
Rob Kaufman, Assistant to Peter Tabuns, MPP

Where do those $3B lower costs come from?

Also, Government Funding sounds great. Certainly not my money out of my wallet. Sounds great. But wait, where does any government getting money from? a) printing press b) ???
Even then, if they found 3B dollars in savings, there are so many better places to spend that money. You can extend OL north to Sheppard. You can extend the Sheppard Line to McCowan. You can even grade separate Sunnybrooke Park and the eastern end of the Eglinton Line.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Modern elevated rail is hardly any more intrusive than the 4, 5 and 6 lane arterials we have all over the place. If an elevated guideway means narrowing lanes/roads with the attendant traffic calming effect, I would sign up for that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I do not see it. Was it the past virtual event that was hosted on Jan 22?
Yes, correct. I received the answers to my questions today from Tabun’s office.

Answer to my second question:
“Your other Question: The Gardiner is causing pollution. Why aren’t we getting rid of an elevated highway instead?
Peter’s Answer: That is a good question. That is a piece of City infrastructure, the Ontario Line is Provincial. Peter”

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Modern elevated rail is hardly any more intrusive than the 4, 5 and 6 lane arterials we have all over the place. If an elevated guideway means narrowing lanes/roads with the attendant traffic calming effect, I would sign up for that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Yes they can be pretty decent. But then the question should turn to Eglinton W, where there's a large grassy space next to the road. Or say SSE where there's an elevated ROW that will eventually be sitting vacant (w/ a formerly-planned ROW continuation all the way up to the desired termini - Sheppard). If what's good for the goose is good for the gander...then let's see it. But we won't.

Yes, correct. I received the answers to my questions today from Tabun’s office.

Answer to my second question:
“Your other Question: The Gardiner is causing pollution. Why aren’t we getting rid of an elevated highway instead?
Peter’s Answer: That is a good question. That is a piece of City infrastructure, the Ontario Line is Provincial. Peter”
also, lowering the elevation of the road by 10m will certainly make the pollution magically go away!

Yes they can be pretty decent. But then the question should turn to Eglinton W, where there's a large grassy space next to the road. Or say SSE where there's an elevated ROW that will eventually be sitting vacant (w/ a formerly-planned ROW continuation all the way up to the desired termini - Sheppard). If what's good for the goose is good for the gander...then let's see it. But we won't.
Absolutely, we should be pushing for Eglinton West to be elevated. Unfortunately no politicians are offering that option. Its either underground, or smack dab in the middle of the street, and between those 2 options, underground is better. However if you want to start a movement to elevated Eglinton too, I'd gladly stand by your side.

Absolutely, we should be pushing for Eglinton West to be elevated. Unfortunately no politicians are offering that option. Its either underground, or smack dab in the middle of the street, and between those 2 options, underground is better. However if you want to start a movement to elevated Eglinton too, I'd gladly stand by your side.
Also, it is 'too late' for EWLRT. I'd rather they go ahead and finish it. But the whole line is a bit of a Frankenstein's monster, and it's too late to fix it. So better to learn for future projects, including Ontario Line.

Also, it is 'too late' for EWLRT. I'd rather they go ahead and finish it. But the whole line is a bit of a Frankenstein's monster, and it's too late to fix it. So better to learn for future projects, including Ontario Line.
Unfortunately, but hey, c'est la vie.

Here's a full road crossing further up just past the station (crossing the street to get to the tunnel portal behind the viewer).
Both the complex with the Safeway grocery store and the building (rental apts) on the apex corner were built/redeveloped after the line.

zc6SVaD.png

Tunnel portal:

n3zzLaG.png

PS - if the guideway is down the median, note that you can have offset columns to accommodate left turn lanes without the through lanes swerving around.

H235T6u.png

Last edited:
Here's a full road crossing further up just past the station (crossing the street to get to the tunnel portal behind the viewer).
Both the complex with the Safeway grocery store and the building (rental apts) on the apex corner were built/redeveloped after the line.

zc6SVaD.png

Tunnel portal:

n3zzLaG.png

PS - if the guideway is down the median, note that you can have offset columns to accommodate left turn lanes without the through lanes swerving around.

H235T6u.png

These are good examples of why I think people would be against this in Toronto (anywhere in Toronto), especially if they believe it can be put underground.

zc6SVaD.png

Tunnel portal:

n3zzLaG.png

H235T6u.png

The GREY of the guide-way copies the GREY of the buildings. 😠 :eek:

Too bad they couldn't copy the tree canopies. Maybe they should add trees along them, bad news is that it would take decades before they look decent.
From link.
ginkgo3_thumb.jpg

cypress1.jpg

bonn1_thumb.jpg

carvalho3_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, trees would be considered "art" and would be cut because it is "gravy" and unneeded to be "functional". Trees would be cut from the budget.

Last edited:

Back