The western edge of the city is drowning in a pathetic streetcar mess that needs relieving ASAP.
If the streetcars weren't there, it would be a pathetic car mess. If the cars weren't there, it would move fine.

The cheapest solution is to remove the cars from where the tracks are.

If the streetcars weren't there, it would be a pathetic car mess. If the cars weren't there, it would move fine.

Maybe start by going back to using cobblestones or some other rough surface between the streetcar tracks.
x13816832.jpg

To discourage car drivers from using the streetcar tracks.

Attachments

• x13816832.jpg
    x13816832.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 351
It's not much of a relief if it's 500m from the Yonge line. A western relief would be around Dufferin, or Roncesvalles. The western edge of the city is drowning in a pathetic streetcar mess that needs relieving ASAP.

Only in downtown is it that close. The further north it goes, the further west it goes.

[Spadina is] not much of a relief if it's 500m from the Yonge line. A western relief would be around Dufferin, or Roncesvalles. The western edge of the city is drowning in a pathetic streetcar mess that needs relieving ASAP.
Yes, Spadina is not a Downtown West Relief Line. It is a Yonge Relief Line, and is quite good at that, and about to get a little better, once it intercepts western Finch and Steeles riders.

Yes, Spadina is not a Downtown West Relief Line. It is a Yonge Relief Line, and is quite good at that, and about to get a little better, once it intercepts western Finch and Steeles riders.

That's great and all, but the current plan for the DRL is Pape>>Downtown>>Dundas West. Therefore the west needs to be part of this 'south of Bloor' relief. The entire discussion about going to Eglinton is just that, a discussion with no firm commitments. If the eastern edge goes to Eglinton that is great news, but the western portion has to get built as well.

It is a fine streetcar mess that is about to get finer once the frequencies go down post-implementation of our $1 billion dollar streetcar purchase. Can't wait to ride the 501 then.:eek:

Speaking of Spadina, with the new streetcars with their removed stops, ROW, and off-board payment, and perhaps even signal priority, do you think it is possible that it could relieve some pressure from the west?

Also, could all day GO service along the Richmond Hill line and a connection to the Eglinton line help control demand in the east?

Just throwing it out there.

It is a fine streetcar mess that is about to get finer once the frequencies go down post-implementation of our $1 billion dollar streetcar purchase. Can't wait to ride the 501 then.:eek:
If you read the details, rather than just listening to the media, you'd be aware that 501 AM peak is planned to stay the same or increase with the new streetcars.

If you look at Steve Munro's article last year http://stevemunro.ca/?p=6923 - particularly his chart on deployment - http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/StreetcarFleetPlan201210.pdf you'd see the then current 31 ALRV vehicles in AM peak would be replaced by 33 new streetcars. (interestingly though, TTC is adding 5 CLRV trippers to this service on April 1 though - though the frequency of every 5.2 minutes isn't scheduled to change).

Off-peak loading standards are based on the number of seats per vehicle. The last page of the current service summary shows that the number of seats only increases from 61 to 70. That shouldn't cause a huge change in frequency ... hopefully the growing off-peak demand for TTC service in recent years will offset the minor change in capacity.

If you read the details, rather than just listening to the media, you'd be aware that 501 AM peak is planned to stay the same or increase with the new streetcars.

If you look at Steve Munro's article last year http://stevemunro.ca/?p=6923 - particularly his chart on deployment - http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/StreetcarFleetPlan201210.pdf you'd see the then current 31 ALRV vehicles in AM peak would be replaced by 33 new streetcars. (interestingly though, TTC is adding 5 CLRV trippers to this service on April 1 though - though the frequency of every 5.2 minutes isn't scheduled to change).

Off-peak loading standards are based on the number of seats per vehicle. The last page of the current service summary shows that the number of seats only increases from 61 to 70. That shouldn't cause a huge change in frequency ... hopefully the growing off-peak demand for TTC service in recent years will offset the minor change in capacity.

I live past Humber, so these frequencies mean nothing. Get back to me when you end up waiting 40 minutes for a streetcar, and we can discuss everything wrong with them.

I always get a good laugh watching the arrival times of streetcars at my stop. Usually goes something like: 5 mins, 7 mins, 15 mins, 39 mins...

I live past Humber, so these frequencies mean nothing. Get back to me when you end up waiting 40 minutes for a streetcar, and we can discuss everything wrong with them.

I always get a good laugh watching the arrival times of streetcars at my stop. Usually goes something like: 5 mins, 7 mins, 15 mins, 39 mins...
Yes, it's terrible service west of Humber. I'd recommend filing a formal complaint with TTC every time you have a 20-minute wait. Still, 501 shouldn't get worse with the new streetcars.

Though you should be at least somewhat heartened by the service improvements that they've announced for April 1st (no joke!) http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/mar501.jsp

Though I don't see the DRL doing anything for service between Long Branch and Humber.

Maybe or maybe not. As it was mentioned many times on this board, all major world-class cities have removed the tram lines from their city centres (I personally can attest to examples of London, Paris, and Moscow). They do build some LRTs now, but mostly outside of their cores. And, you know what, Paris and London are not in a pathetic car mess. Well, London can be a bit busy, but Paris is quite drivable, if one chooses so. I think the reason behind is very dense subway/metro network combined with PER lines.
I just came back from Paris where I was on business trip, but I also brought my family to go to Disney (well, what would you do with 3 and 8 yr olds, they cannot appreciate Louvre yet...), which is in Paris suburbs. I was overwhelmed when I realized that I could get there by taking PER (A4), which departs every 10-15 min, or take TGV (high-speed train), bus, or drive there! What was even more amazing is that you can take TGV from Disney to CDG airport, which takes only 11 min to get there! Only imagine--taking a high-speed train from Wonderland to Pearson... I know that Paris Metro is more than 100 yr old, but their PER and TGV started only in 70s...
I guess we need a government with vision that can inspire general public with what can be done and convincing people that without durable and substantial investment we will be in a perpetual lagging-behind mode.

And, you know what, Paris and London are not in a pathetic car mess. Well, London can be a bit busy, but Paris is quite drivable, if one chooses so.
Are you kidding? Paris is the worst car mess of any western city I've seen! You can walk downtown faster than the cars move at rush hour. That's why motorbikes are so common there.

And London mightn't be that bad now in downtown, but did you see it before the congestion charging?

I am talking from my own experience, and it is in 2001, 2010, 2013. You think I was lucky? I haven't had any experience driving in London (scary of driving "on the wrong side"), but, as a pedestrian, I felt it had a busier traffic than Paris.

Last edited:
Filip:

Most (if not all) of the proposed alignments of the DRL does not go west enough to provide a huge amount of relief to southern Etobicoke, and there are really no plans change that. It may provide some relief for the 501 depending on where the interchange occurs, but one's best bet for significant improvement is probably improving the reliability/dependability and speed of the existing portion of the 501 line up to that interchange point.

That, and/or a BD extension to Sherway? Again, it suffers from the problem of not being able to serve the area directly.

AoD

Eglinton to Roncesvalles along King would be better in one shot. With a Liberty Village connection at the rail corridor.

With the underpass under construction at Strachan, would the grade of the rail corridor be shallow enough to allow for a GO platform at King?

Back