Please explain the Eglinton Crosstown extension then?
the underground crosstown alignment TBM and elevated over humber river was one of the methods studied by the city, once elevated was ruled out. the city opted for at grade because "it was easier to access" but in reality was probably due to cost. The city website is gone now but if i can find the city eglinton west at grade extension study, ill link it for you.

Please explain the Eglinton Crosstown extension then?
okay found the firms website that did some designs for the city of toronto, 2006-2018. Metrolinx took it over 2019.

so metrolinx took over the project and to save time, because the project it at risk of being cancelled if political winds change.

the underground crosstown alignment TBM and elevated over humber river was one of the methods studied by the city, once elevated was ruled out. the city opted for at grade because "it was easier to access" but in reality was probably due to cost. The city website is gone now but if i can find the city eglinton west at grade extension study, ill link it for you.
Never forget this hilarious image:
1617599739997.png

And people say that Metrolinx spins stuff to suit a narrative.

Never forget this hilarious image:
View attachment 310382
And people say that Metrolinx spins stuff to suit a narrative.
There is one thing about these city designed grade separation, each direction has its own side platform WITHOUT A CONCOURSE. If you want eastbound, you have to cross the road on the south side and vice versa. This was true for all the stations.

okay found the firms website that did some designs for the city of toronto, 2006-2018. Metrolinx took it over 2019.

so metrolinx took over the project and to save time, because the project it at risk of being cancelled if political winds change.
I don’t understand your argument.

You blamed the city/TTC’s love of tunneling for use of TBM everywhere.

I asked about the tunneled EWCE and you pointed me to a study advocating for at-grade LRT and said “so metrolinx took over the project and to save time, because the project it at risk of being cancelled if political winds change.” But it wasn’t tunneled before Metrolinx took over, and is tunneled after. So why is the city/TTC to blame for the tunneling on this project?

The 'not preferred' was not intrusive in any sense. It's in the middle of an empty field ffs.
They also purposely designed the elevated station to look as massive and overbearing as possible.

Elevated stations are just not designed that way over the middle of an intersection. They are put to the side with 1-2 sets of accesses, not 4 from each corner of the intersection.

I mean, compare the City's rendering to what a typical skytrain station looks like:

It's not like the Eglinton ROW doesn't have space for a station like that either.

They also purposely designed the elevated station to look as massive and overbearing as possible.

Elevated stations are just not designed that way over the middle of an intersection. They are put to the side with 1-2 sets of accesses, not 4 from each corner of the intersection.

I mean, compare the City's rendering to what a typical skytrain station looks like:

It's not like the Eglinton ROW doesn't have space for a station like that either.
This is typical for these types of reports and studies. They already have a predetermined result and are just shaping their study to suit the result. Its skewed and honestly a waste of time.

I would be thrilled to have elevated rail and stations like that on my local suburban arterial.

I do think a bulkier structure would be needed for our TR trains because they're so much larger than Vancouver's vehicles.

But it's a small price to pay for affordable rail in the suburbs.

Besides, our suburban roads are so wide that any marginal extra bulkiness in the elevated structures will not be noticeable anyway.

I would be thrilled to have elevated rail and stations like that on my local suburban arterial.

I do think a bulkier structure would be needed for our TR trains because they're so much larger than Vancouver's vehicles.

But it's a small price to pay for affordable rail in the suburbs.

Besides, our suburban roads are so wide that any marginal extra bulkiness in the elevated structures will not be noticeable anyway.
I was discussing it in the context of Eglinton West, which would be running shorter, lighter LRV vehicles which would make for much less bulky stations.

I asked about the tunneled EWCE and you pointed me to a study advocating for at-grade LRT and said “so metrolinx took over the project and to save time, because the project it at risk of being cancelled if political winds change.” But it wasn’t tunneled before Metrolinx took over, and is tunneled after. So why is the city/TTC to blame for the tunneling on this project?

I don't get it either.

The TTC and city have built plenty of above-ground sections of the subway that work very well.

I can't figure out how downtown elites in High Park, Old Mill and Rosedale are good with above-ground subway trains but it's unacceptable (along with streetcars, LRTs, etc.) for the suburbs.

Okay so part of the study the city did was grade separate and on street. The city did choose the on street version but had studied the below grade option. So soil testing was done, an alignment was chosen and station placement.

This work was used by metrolinx because they wanted grade separation. And is very very similar to underground option the city studied.

If the city had concluded that cut and cover was recommended metrolinx would probably just gone with that method.

Same goes if the city's elevated option wasn't so unfavorable, mtrolinx would probably just continued that design. To save time. Notice they took 1 year from concept to percurement.

The city's transit design is either median lrt or deep bore subway.

Hope this makes it alittle more clear.

Back