Another interesting note is that East Harbour will now have GO platforms for all tracks. This will allow express trains to stop at East harbour. The transfer won't be cross-platform, but a shared concourse should still provide fairly convenient transfers. It will still end up as one of the fastest transfers on the network.

Fashion District Station is a much more suitable name for Queen/Spadina. Chinatown pretty much ends at Sullivan St which is a 5 min walk north.

Fashion District Station is a much more suitable name for Queen/Spadina. Chinatown pretty much ends at Sullivan St which is a 5 min walk north.
I mean it's technically on the edge of the fashion district, but on the street it doesn't feel like it, and the name makes much more sense for Bathurst/King station

Seems slightly less invasive for Jimmie Simpson Park (which is the one people seemed to be protesting about more), and slightly more for Bruce Makey, but the overall footprint of the corridor seemed to be smaller in general. Let's hope the community doesn't have too many complaints about this alignment as to not slow things down any further.

The pink line of the western/northern most OL track is now closer to the black property line, but what kind of impact to the park will there be? Tree clearing? I don't think the OCS poles would be outside the property line?

Your comment reminded me of where residents put their 'line' (before today's map release). They put it much further to the west/north than the property line. This of course was before today's news. CTV Toronto report here.

In one part of the video, the residents are shown near 8 Wardell Street (Google Street view of the location here).

(February 2018)

1617737311546.png

Screengrab from CTV Toronto report on March 27, 2021:

1617736675147.png

Yet on today's map, the property line is further to the east of the location where the residents are showing. I've added the red arrow below to where I think the residents are standing, pointing in the direction of the screen grab above.

1617736123471.png

So are some residents in this area worried that Metrolinx will add OCS poles/other OL needs/clear trees between the property line and where they are standing? I'm not an expert but it looks like there's enough room below (see the blue arrows). I wonder if the switch to 2 OL tracks + 4 GO will make a difference.

1617736943408.png

Attachments

• 1617736979250.png
    1617736979250.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
Reactions: syn
1617729506610-png.310831

If the OL is right at the very edge of the Metrolinx property line is there going to be any room for noise reduction barriers and additional landscaping?

Even with the GO tracks shifted it seems like very, very tight fit.

I'd expect the wall seen at the edge of the sidewalk to become a full height wall with a soundwall at the top. Definitely a loss of vegetation, but this is a station location. Further north, at the park, there will be space for trees between the wall and the park. Yes, it is a neagtive impace for locals at this end of DeGrassi st, but they do get a new station within a stones throw of their house.

1617739746902.png

If they plan construction appropriately, the impact to the street and park can be greatly reduced. There's no reason why they can't build up the wall and embankment in 1 year, and from there construction happens up on the embackment with minimal local impact.

Entertainment District for Queen Spadina, and Fashion District for Bathurst.

Couldn't they just be called Queen West and King West? I very much hope the City moves away from doubling down on cringeworthy, made up "district" names by naming subway stations after them.

"Entertainment District" sounds like a designated special economic zone wherein the state Communist Party can monitor and control our behaviour while we engage in sanctioned leisure activities.

Most of the clubs, bars & theatres have essentially almost all been closed and replaced by condo towers, so it's no more entertaining than several other districts where one might go to be entertained in this city.

As for "Fashion District", there once may have been a cluster of tailor shops around Spadina & Adelaide at some point in the distant past - but "fashion"? ...A bit of a stretch.

Couldn't they just be called Queen West and King West? I very much hope the City moves away from doubling down on cringeworthy, made up "district" names by naming subway stations after them.

"Entertainment District" sounds like a designated special economic zone wherein the state Communist Party can monitor and control our behaviour while we engage in sanctioned leisure activities.

Most of the clubs, bars & theatres have essentially almost all been closed and replaced by condo towers, so it's no more entertaining than several other districts where one might go to be entertained in this city.

As for "Fashion District", there once may have been a cluster of tailor shops around Spadina & Adelaide at some point in the distant past - but "fashion"? ...A bit of a stretch.
Its not the city in this case but Metrolinx which mandated the naming conventions we now use. The City and TTC were perfectly content with the old naming conventions as seen with Finch West Station. We would have also had a Steeles West but committee tomfoolery got in the way of that. Since the OL is a Metrolinx project it will be subject to Metrolinx's rules.

Its not the city in this case but Metrolinx which mandated the naming conventions we now use. The City and TTC were perfectly content with the old naming conventions as seen with Finch West Station. We would have also had a Steeles West but committee tomfoolery got in the way of that. Since the OL is a Metrolinx project it will be subject to Metrolinx's rules.
Having more distinct station names is important as the network grows and becomes more regional. When you only have 2 lines, an Eglinton and Eglinton West makes sense, but as you have more lines and people travelling from further regions, you start to introduce confusion. The station names will seem odd at first, but over time the neighbourhood will adjust to the new names. Here's some suggested names:

For Queen-Spadina:
  • Graffiti Alley Station
  • Cameron St Station
For King-Bathurst:
  • Tavern Station
  • Victoria Square Station
  • Brock Bridge Station

Having more distinct station names is important as the network grows and becomes more regional. When you only have 2 lines, an Eglinton and Eglinton West makes sense, but as you have more lines and people travelling from further regions, you start to introduce confusion. The station names will seem odd at first, but over time the neighbourhood will adjust to the new names. Here's some suggested names:

For Queen-Spadina:
  • Graffiti Alley Station
  • Cameron St Station
For King-Bathurst:
  • Tavern Station
  • Victoria Square Station
  • Brock Bridge Station
I like names that speak to the character and history of the area for sure. Victoria Memorial Park and the Wheat Sheaf are probably the most important landmarks near King and Bathurst, especially since there are War of 1812 military tombstones in the park. I like Victoria Memorial Park as a name. The most important historical features near Queen and Spadina are probably the old textile warehouses, The Grange (1818), and the Black Bull (1822). It's not in China Town, though John Street nearby is the biggest media centre in the country (National Film Board of Canada, Toronto Film Festival, CBC, AGO, City TV, Bravo, CTV, etc.). Call it McLuhan Station and you capture the area's media arts energy and a world famous Toronto icon, Marshall McLuhan.

Back