I like names that speak to the character and history of the area for sure. Victoria Memorial Park and the Wheat Sheaf are probably the most important landmarks near King and Bathurst, especially since there are War of 1812 military tombstones in the park. I like Victoria Memorial Park as a name. The most important historical features near Queen and Spadina are probably the old textile warehouses, The Grange (1818), and the Black Bull (1822). It's not in China Town, though John Street nearby is the biggest media centre in the country (National Film Board of Canada, Toronto Film Festival, CBC, AGO, City TV, Bravo, CTV, etc.). Call it McLuhan Station and you capture the area's media arts energy and a world famous Toronto icon, Marshall McLuhan.
Call it "T.V. Station"

"Subways" come in various different sizes, electrical configurations, and headways.

drib.png

From link.
"Simplified icons for each of North America's heavy rail rapid transit systems."

Even in the same city, the trains can be different. These are from London, England (not London, Ontario). From link.
train_fronts.jpg

Rubber tires!

My gosh, Metrolinx ... can they ever be clear? How many different types of vehicle does Paris use? And Vancouver ... most people think of the more common SRT-type trains there, not the wider (but very short) Canada Line trains.
Metrolinx likely doesn’t even know yet, since that’ll be up to the vendor. Similar to how we have no clue what RER rolling stock will be.

"Subways" come in various different sizes, electrical configurations, and headways.

drib.png

From link.
"Simplified icons for each of North America's heavy rail rapid transit systems."
Top: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Camden (NJ), Chicago, Cleveland
Middle: Los Angeles, Miami, Mexico City, Montreal, northeastern New Jersey, New York City
Bottom: Philadelphia, San Juan (PR), San Francisco Bay Area, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington DC

Well Ottawa was so.
The history of the Ottawa LRT will explain that.

When Phase 1 was designed, the intent was that the LRT would enter at grade sections in the phase 2 portions in the suburbs. They changed their minds when it came to actually design Phase 2 however and maintained a fully grade separated system, effectively making it a light metro. Hindsight is 20/20 and they likely would have gone with light metro technology like ICTS or similar had they known they would maintain 100% grade separation, but alas.

The history of the Ottawa LRT will explain that.

When Phase 1 was designed, the intent was that the LRT would enter at grade sections in the phase 2 portions in the suburbs. They changed their minds when it came to actually design Phase 2 however and maintained a fully grade separated system, effectively making it a light metro. Hindsight is 20/20 and they likely would have gone with light metro technology like ICTS or similar had they known they would maintain 100% grade separation, but alas.
I actually worked as a transportation engineer on the project. I had even founded a grassroot community to have a light metro system instead of the proposed LRT.

Back