Metrolinx CEO predicts approval of downtown relief subway line by 2014

See this link.

The bad news:

I'm starting to think that this thing may not be built. Construction may not start till at least 2017 or 2018. The Liberals wil probably still be in power by then, but there's a chance that the "Progressive" Conservatives (the name is a lie) will be in power by then.\

TTM:

The saturation of Yonge line ensures some form of relief line will have to be built - it isn't a "choice".

Slightly OT - I found the following bit a bit funny:

The board also heard from GO’s president on the regional transit provider’s intention to run trains every 30 minutes on the Lakeshore corridor starting Saturday, June 29, which Gary McNeil called a “paradigm shift”.
“Customers won’t have to look at their schedules, they’ll be able to get to a GO station and get their trains,” said McNeil. “It changes how you look at the service by moving toward a higher frequency.”

Since when did *anything* running at 30 mins frequency equate to not having to look at the schedule?

AoD

TTM:

The saturation of Yonge line ensures some form of relief line will have to be built - it isn't a "choice".

Since when did *anything* running at 30 mins frequency equate to not having to look at the schedule?

AoD

I think it's more of a paradigm shift in the sense of "if you're 2 minutes late you only waste 28 minutes of your life waiting instead of 58 minutes". I've had to do that once or twice (at midnight no less). Not fun.

I actually agree with him to a certain extent. Unless you literally get there as one train is leaving the station the wait won't be all that long. I know personally as a periodic user of GO I won't be looking at the schedule and planning according now. Given the nature of GO service as more of a long haul people don't worry as much about planning down to the last minute and just want a general time of arrival...especially on off peak times. Commuters who need the frequency get it for peak times.

I think it's more of a paradigm shift in the sense of "if you're 2 minutes late you only waste 28 minutes of your life waiting instead of 58 minutes". I've had to do that once or twice (at midnight no less). Not fun.

Yes this also. I don't know how I forgot but I actually had something like this happen last Saturday. I live in Cobourg and me and my Gf were driving to Whitby for dinner and a movie. On the drive I felt like going to Toronto instead so we were going to take the GO Train. I thought the new frequencies were already in place so I didn't bother even looking to see when the next train was...well when we got there the prior train had left 5 minutes earlier and the wait would have been 55 minutes. We decided to just stay in Whitby rather than wait. If the wait was 25 minutes we would have gone to Toronto...

TTM:

AoD

Because if you're 10 min late you only have to wait 15 min for the next go train.

TTM:

AoD

Everyone here at UT knows that the DRL is needed. But we're talking about politics here. The PCs will gladly screw Toronto for a few extra votes.

My prediction is

-a Toronto bid in 2015 for the 2024 Summer Olympic games.
-Toronto wins it in 2017
-The Feds and Province wants list of Infrastructure to be finance
-City of Toronto (with great relief) submits
A)DRL as a priority
B)Eglinton-Crosstown reaching Pearson Airport

I wouldn't be surprised if organizing the games would be what it takes to get it build quickly.

Vancouver did get the Canada Line and Montreal were able to almost drastically expend both the Orange and green lines because of the games.

My prediction is

-a Toronto bid in 2015 for the 2024 Summer Olympic games.
-Toronto wins it in 2017
-The Feds and Province wants list of Infrastructure to be finance
-City of Toronto (with great relief) submits
A)DRL as a priority
B)Eglinton-Crosstown reaching Pearson Airport

I wouldn't be surprised if organizing the games would be what it takes to get it build quickly.

Vancouver did get the Canada Line and Montreal were able to almost drastically expend both the Orange and green lines because of the games.

7 year construction for a DRL is quite ambitious in Toronto. The Eglinton line started in 2012 and is expected to be done in 2020 or 2021. The least we could do is have a route chosen prior to bid time.

A big reason for the long construction time on Eglinton is to spread borrowing over a longer time period giving a project a lower net present value cost to the province. With more upfront spending this could be accelerated.

Back