Am I wrong to think that the Ontario Line may never actually happen? Doug Ford's PCs are likely to win a majority in 2022, but very unlikely to do so by 2026. By 2026 the new Liberal government may just cancel the thing.
I'd think the project would be far too advanced by 2026 to cancel, even if there were no penalties.

Though I think you may be wrong about the Ford PCs winning a majority in 2022. The most recent polling indicates a minority. And unless it's a very strong minority, I very much doubt that either the NDP or Liberals would support a minority - so Ford needs a majority to stay in power.

That being said though, if things go well, the advanced works contracts will be structured so it's very difficult to cancel in 2022. As much as I oppose aspects of the Ontario line - cancelling it would be an even worse mistake. We need to stop the reset of projects like this at every change of government.

That's not really an OL issue per se though (especially considering the original TTC alignment for RL have the station even further east) - but the East Harbour GO station matter. I don't believe the OL platforms are ever intended to link the Corktown well.
Not per se, but when Ontario line straddled the GO, with combined platforms, and the platforms did bridge the Don, it did provide a better connection.

I don't even see a pedestrian bridge over the Don in the current plans!

Not per se, but when Ontario line straddled the GO, with combined platforms, and the platforms did bridge the Don, it did provide a better connection.
I don't even see a pedestrian bridge over the Don in the current plans!

A minor issue that could be rectified by the inclusion of a pedestrian bridge - not really a deal breaker one way or another (I wasn't too hung up over the cross-platform transfer aspect of the original plan in any case - and if separating OL and GO simplifies the design/operation and saves some money, so be it).

AoD

A minor issue that could be rectified by the inclusion of a pedestrian bridge - not really a deal breaker one way or another (I wasn't too hung up over the cross-platform transfer aspect of the original plan in any case - and if separating OL and GO simplifies the design/operation and saves some money, so be it).
What irks me, is how Metrolinx constantly hypes improvements like cross-platform transfers, when it turns out that they aren't actually a priority. It's like there's a complete disconnect between public relations and reality.

They swore up and down at the public meeting that there'd be good connections to Corktown Commons. I should file a complaint with PEO about the lack of good faith in community consultation.

I'm confused. What do you mean by no? I said Riverdale was 250 metres from the GO platform at Eastern. What did I say wrong?
You were implying that "stations" are too close to each other.
But the stations that are closer to each other are not on the same line or system - so it's not really an issue.
The Ontario Line platform and the GO platform at East Harbour are still next to each other as needed for a transfer.

Unless you are arguing that the East Harbour Ontario Line platform should be moved further to the east
(ie straddling Eastern Ave and still maintaining a transfer connection to the Go platform)
while Riverdale Ontario Line station can be eliminated?

What irks me, is how Metrolinx constantly hypes improvements like cross-platform transfers, when it turns out that they aren't actually a priority. It's like there's a complete disconnect between public relations and reality.

They swore up and down at the public meeting that there'd be good connections to Corktown Commons. I should file a complaint with PEO about the lack of good faith in community consultation.

Early on, seamless cross-platform transfers were one of the biggest selling points of this line, and why it made sense for it to share the GO corridor above ground.

If what we're seeing now was initially proposed then I think our reactions would've been different.

Perhaps it was the plan all along? A lot harder to justify this to locals based on the current configuration.

Early on, seamless cross-platform transfers were one of the biggest selling points of this line, and why it made sense for it to share the GO corridor above ground.

Cross platform transfers always favour one direction of travel over another - so when travelling the other direction, you'd have to do a down and up transfer.
I think that the conventional transfer corridors will provide more flexibility for GO operations in the future.

Cross platform transfers always favour one direction of travel over another - so when travelling the other direction, you'd have to do a down and up transfer.
I think that the conventional transfer corridors will provide more flexibility for GO operations in the future.

I agree. I think it just speaks to the disconnect @nfitz mentioned.

You were implying that "stations" are too close to each other.
I was both imply they are too close (between Gerrard and East Harbour) AND that the retrofication of not using the TTC location at Eastern/Broadview because it was too from from the East Harbour GO station were out the window. I wasn't trying to imply that the new subway station locations were 250 metres apart - which is why I said GO platform.

But the stations that are closer to each other are not on the same line or system - so it's not really an issue.
It's still too close together, Shifting Queen south is too close - should go back to the Queen/Carlaw location.

The Ontario Line platform and the GO platform at East Harbour are still next to each other as needed for a transfer.
No, they aren't right next to each other. Now the Ontario line only has an island platform, meaning that you need to go down stairs, through the concourse, and up another flight of stairs. In the original Metrolinx design you could simply walk across the platform, for journeys that continued both into, and out of, town.

Meanwhile they've shifted the Ontario line station at Gerrard further west as well - which makes their initial excuse of cancelling the Gerrard Smartrack station (that it was now in the way of the portal), null and void. Which explains they are now using the "it's too close to East Harbour" excuse!

Reactions: syn
No, they aren't right next to each other. Now the Ontario line only has an island platform, meaning that you need to go down stairs, through the concourse, and up another flight of stairs. In the original Metrolinx design you could simply walk across the platform, for journeys that continued both into, and out of, town.

Meanwhile they've shifted the Ontario line station at Gerrard further west as well - which makes their initial excuse of cancelling the Gerrard Smartrack station (that it was now in the way of the portal), null and void. Which explains they are now using the "it's too close to East Harbour" excuse!

That's how transfers happen at most of our subway stations anyways - it's not a big deal.

Considering SmartTrack is just GO, it makes very little sense to have a Gerrard station so close to East Harbour - and unlike OL or even regular subways, GO is heavy and slow to accelerate.

AoD

Ok back to line.

My questions
1) Will there be a western extension
2) will this western extention go up Dundas West/Keele to Mt Dennis.
3) If there isn't, why not?
depends on political funding might take 10 years after opening for it to be even planned
personally id favor it going up dundas west. some might prefer it going along the waterfront or maybe going north through keele

Ok back to line.

My questions
1) Will there be a western extension
2) will this western extention go up Dundas West/Keele to Mt Dennis.
3) If there isn't, why not?
To answer all your questions in one shot: nobody knows.

All we know is that there is a provision for a western extension, when/to where is anyone's guess. I'd hedge my money on a northern extension happening first, because you know politics. We dont do things that make the most sense first, those things are at the bottom of the priority list.

To answer all your questions in one shot: nobody knows.

All we know is that there is a provision for a western extension, when/to where is anyone's guess. I'd hedge my money on a northern extension happening first, because you know politics. We dont do things that make the most sense first, those things are at the bottom of the priority list.

It should go North first up Don Mills all the way to Sheppard at least to connect with the Sheppard Subway! Ideally going all the way to Steeles would be optimal. I predict by the mid 2020s once TTC is maxed out and people are pissed about congestion Ford will announce funding for the extension North till Sheppard at least if not farther up North. This is his legacy project and his baby that everyone will remember him for so why not get it more up North.

This is whats happening with the EGLRT it hasn't even been finished and likely wont be until 2023 but yet the line is already being extended West to Pearson with shovels already in the ground!

What is everyones thoughts on this?

I'd hedge my money on a northern extension happening first, because you know politics
Politics? Going north on Don Mills would do the most to relieve the capacity crunch on Line 1. It will be good politically, yes, but it's also objectively the most important extension after the initial phase as per all the studies over the years.

Back