The liberals are touting the Metrolinx plan, extremely heavily. I have a feeling that other than the scarborough subway plan (which really was more of giving permission for the city to seek federal funding) they will stick to the current Metrolinx investment strategy.

Getting back on topic for a second, I'm still not sold on a Don Mills originating DRL, I'd rather see a shorter DRL that serves the downtown population (directly replacing the streetcar route on King/Queen/whichever road it follows) while increasing the frequency and electrifying the GO network at the same time. I feel like actually building a RER network to fix the problems commuters are facing would work better than misusing subways like we have on the YUS and BD. Subways shouldn't be for long-run commutes imo, they should be focused on serving dense areas where surface networks can no longer keep up with the numbers of people trying to move through.

I agree with your general point. I mentioned earlier that if the DRL tries to serve long distance commutes and local service it won't be good at either. Well that describes what our subway system on the whole has been doing for the last 50 years. We now have slow subway commutes from outer suburbs that would be better served by an RER type network, and even slower commutes on streetcars in areas that should be served by subway. Based on the Big Move, Metrolinx seems to at least partially understand this.

I
Getting back on topic for a second, I'm still not sold on a Don Mills originating DRL, I'd rather see a shorter DRL that serves the downtown population (directly replacing the streetcar route on King/Queen/whichever road it follows) while increasing the frequency and electrifying the GO network at the same time. .

I still don;t see why a DRL means no streetcar for king/Queen etc. The people who take or who will continue to take the srteetcar are people who live in the surrounding area. The DRL is for people leaving the downtown core

Where do people get this insane idea? If the downtown section under King or whatever isn't express like Yonge in North York no one would want it or use it?

As long as there are less stops than taking yonge, people would use it. And quie frankly, the station spacing would have to be really small to equal the spacing on yonge/bloor.

In fact one good reason for making the DRL express is to avoid competing with Streetcars. The proximity of Liberty Village and City Place to the financial district means that there is theoretically a huge demand for local transit that can continue to be met with the King and Queen Streetcars, while the DRL can serve the main purpose of relieving the Yonge line. Regardless of what Ford and others think, it would be a shame to lose those iconic streetcar lines.

calimehtar:

Not against the notion of sentimental value per se, but it is important to note that those lines are saturated and getting rather unreliable - their utility is increasingly in doubt in the context of future densification of the core. It's not even time competitive with walking at certain periods of the day.

AoD

Last edited:
Getting back on topic for a second, I'm still not sold on a Don Mills originating DRL, I'd rather see a shorter DRL that serves the downtown population (directly replacing the streetcar route on King/Queen/whichever road it follows) while increasing the frequency and electrifying the GO network at the same time. I feel like actually building a RER network to fix the problems commuters are facing would work better than misusing subways like we have on the YUS and BD. Subways shouldn't be for long-run commutes imo, they should be focused on serving dense areas where surface networks can no longer keep up with the numbers of people trying to move through.

DRL whose primarily goal is local service, will not have ridership to justify its very expensive construction.

Rainforest said:
DRL whose primarily goal is local service, will not have ridership to justify its very expensive construction.

MisterF said:
I mentioned earlier that if the DRL tries to serve long distance commutes and local service it won't be good at either. Well that describes what our subway system on the whole has been doing for the last 50 years. We now have slow subway commutes from outer suburbs that would be better served by an RER type network, and even slower commutes on streetcars in areas that should be served by subway. Based on the Big Move, Metrolinx seems to at least partially understand this.

calimehtar said:
In fact one good reason for making the DRL express is to avoid competing with Streetcars. The proximity of Liberty Village and City Place to the financial district means that there is theoretically a huge demand for local transit that can continue to be met with the King and Queen Streetcars, while the DRL can serve the main purpose of relieving the Yonge line. Regardless of what Ford and others think, it would be a shame to lose those iconic streetcar lines.

There's a lot of mangling of express/local going on here and how big of an impact it would have. We could serve both local and express demand reasonably well with a station spacing of ~700m through the E-W downtown section and >1km outside of that. Again, we don't need to think too creatively about this. The Yonge and Spadina subways both clearly out-compete GO at least until Hwy 7, despite having <500m station spacing south of Bloor to Union.

Further, to the DRL's relief impact, the only section of the DRL that matters is between Pape Station and downtown, and station spacing here is pretty much laid out by geography. Almost certainly, you're talking about 2 stations between Yonge and the Don River and 2-3 stations (depending on route) from there to Pape Station.

If you built a subway along King or Queen from Leslieville to Parkdale, the total transit time would be <15m from end to end assuming ~700m spacing. Since express trips would only be half of that (one extremity to the CBD), you're talking about a total travel time of ~7m. The difference between ~700m and a more 'express' spacing along such a short distance would only add up to one or two minutes. And ~700m spacing is still perfectly acceptable for urban local service. Especially since all new stations will have two exits spaced apart, the effective street level spacing between entrances would probably be closer to ~600m.

As to whether it would eliminate demand for the surface streetcars, I don't know. I've never heard of a case where a streetcar survives having a subway installed underneath it. I personally think Queen/King's surface ROW could be much better used than having streetcars trundling along at walking speed. You could have 1L of traffic either direction, a sweet bike path and probably some small sidewalk extensions/streetscape improvements.

TL;DR: There's no obvious difference between an 'express' and a 'local' DRL, at least on the CBD-Pape-Eglinton leg (which is all that matters for relief). I challenge anyone to give me competing 'express' vs. 'local' station layouts for a potential DRL route. At most you'd add or subtract a single station, which is hardly a big deal.

IMO, primary goal of DRL should be medium and long range trips within 416, and relieving Yonge. It can still have some local role.

DRL could have two stations between Yonge and the Don River (say, Sherbourne and Rivers Street; exact locations can vary), and two between Don and Danforth / Pape (presumably at Queen / Broadview and at Gerard Square).

Streetcar service will remain everywhere it runs now, but some routes and frequencies can be changed. The 502 Kingston Road route can run between the Broadview South station and Vic Park, without going downtown. The main branch of 501 can continue to run through downtown, but a rush-hour branch to the Broadview South station can be added.

DRL stations north of Danforth: Cosburn, Thorncliffe, Flemmington, Eglinton / Don Mills.

That will keep DRL competitive.

King to Pape: 5th station using DRL, vs 10th using Yonge and BD.

King to Eglinton / Don Mills: 9th station using DRL, vs 14th using Yonge and Eglinton LRT.

In both cases, DRL will give a saving of 7-8 min, and less crowded cars as a bonus.

I think if the DRL was to be implemented on King with semi-local stop spacing, we would only lose King street service, and maybe roncasvalles. The streetcars would continue to operate on Queen, Dundas, College, Bathurst, Spadina, Queens Quay, etc.

The DRL primarily goal is to relieve Yonge subway congestion. It is not local service. In fact, current streetcar and bus services should remain to provide local service. As such, the Eglinton Crosstown Line and Bloor-Danforth Line would be feeders to the DRL, along with local lines.

The question should be, where would most of the passengers be going? Those final downtown destinations should be where the stations should be located. They should not transfer to another line downtown nor should there be a long walk from there.

The DRL primarily goal is to relieve Yonge subway congestion. It is not local service. In fact, current streetcar and bus services should remain to provide local service. As such, the Eglinton Crosstown Line and Bloor-Danforth Line would be feeders to the DRL, along with local lines.

The question should be, where would most of the passengers be going? Those final downtown destinations should be where the stations should be located. They should not transfer to another line downtown nor should there be a long walk from there.

my question is, why not both? the Streetcars need relief as well, they are over capacity.

there are currently 11 stops between Pape and King, travelling on the bloor line to the yonge line.

As long as the DRL has less than that, it can serve as relief. To me, it could effectively replace the streetcar with 6 stops, but 7 would be preferable. 7 stops would be: Pape-Gerrard-Carlaw/Queen-Canary-Parliament-Jarvis-King/Yonge. 6 stops would be: Pape-Gerrard-Carlaw/Queen-Canary-Sherbourne-King/Yonge)

Similarly, The west side currently takes 13 stops to go from Dundas West to St. Andrew on current routes. a DRL could effectively replace both with 10.

Dundas West-Howard Park-Queen-Jameson-Dufferin-Liberty Village-Strachan-Bathurst-Spadina-St. Andrew.

Last edited:
The DRL should be for adding more coverage and relieving both Bloor and Yonge lines with local stops. The GO service can be for taking people out far distances, which would also relieve both Bloor and Yonge.

my question is, why not both? the Streetcars need relief as well, they are over capacity.

there are currently 11 stops between Pape and King, travelling on the bloor line to the yonge line.

As long as the DRL has less than that, it can serve as relief. To me, it could effectively replace the streetcar with 6 stops, but 7 would be preferable. 7 stops would be: Pape-Gerrard-Carlaw/Queen-Canary-Parliament-Jarvis-King/Yonge. 6 stops would be: Pape-Gerrard-Carlaw/Queen-Canary-Sherbourne-King/Yonge)

Similarly, The west side currently takes 13 stops to go from Dundas West to St. Andrew on current routes. a DRL could effectively replace both with 10.

Dundas West-Howard Park-Queen-Jameson-Dufferin-Liberty Village-Strachan-Bathurst-Spadina-St. Andrew.

If the new streetcars are replacing the old streetcars one for one? The TTC has an option to increase the new streetcar order from 204 to 264, so overcapacity could be a force to do the option.

Back