Wasn't sure where to put this, but would it be possible to make Union a transfer station when the new platforms are finished? So make trains stop and reverse at that point instead of looping? Or maybe just do this during certain times of day?

Wasn't sure where to put this, but would it be possible to make Union a transfer station when the new platforms are finished? So make trains stop and reverse at that point instead of looping? Or maybe just do this during certain times of day?

There are crossovers east of Union (from the original Yonge Subway), so I suppose it would be possible, although given the frequencies it would be an operational nightmare.

Operational nightmare for sure. Trains are coming from both directions remember, not just one (as is the case with terminal stations). I imagine trains being backed up due to lack of sufficient tracks at and just before the platforms.

More studies!

Metrolinx studies relief line to ease TTC crowding
A first round of public consultations will take place this fall.
By: Tess Kalinowski Transportation reporter, Published on Fri Sep 06 2013

There’s no money to pay for a “downtown relief line” yet. But Metrolinx will begin public consultations this fall as part of a preliminary study to be released in the spring on options for alleviating crowding on the Yonge subway.

A “long list of alternatives” will be presented to the public next summer.

Among the alternatives being considered will be whether GO trains can take some of the burden off the TTC.

Although a report before the Metrolinx board on Tuesday suggests there’s no additional room on GO during the rush hours, either, off-peak capacity bears more study, said a Metrolinx spokeswoman.

Anne Marie Aikins said GO and the TTC are already working closely to come up with ways to better integrate and align their services.

The growing call for a relief line points to increasing demand for transit in the Toronto region, as new services fill almost as quickly as they are built.

Since launching the largest service expansion in GO’s history this summer — all-day, 30-minute service on the Lake Shore East and West lines — GO’s ridership has increased by 30 per cent.

That response, in the slower summer months when word is still getting out, has been “heartening,” Aikins said. The numbers could be higher by the next ridership report in December.

“That’s our vision for all seven lines. We’ll be very happy when the day comes we’ll be able to have that expansion on all our lines. It’s not going to happen overnight, but we’re getting there,” she said, citing the expansion of the Georgetown South GO line that carries riders to Kitchener and Brampton.

For decades, the relief line has been envisioned as a subway that would run in a U-shape directly downtown off the west and east ends of the Bloor-Danforth line, and potentially further north, to connect with the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT.

Listed among a so-called second wave of projects in Metrolinx’s Big Move transit plan, it’s considered a prererequisite for extending the Yonge subway north to Richmond Hill.

Both the TTC and Metrolinx acknowledge that, even with an upgraded signaling system and new trains that will increase Yonge’s capacity, there’s simply no more room on the TTC’s busiest subway line.

After releasing a study on the relief line last year, the TTC is already studying potential routes, and Metrolinx is recommending that the updated Toronto Official Plan protect the line.

The TTC’s study suggests the first phase would cost about $3.2 billion.

The province is considering implementing new taxes as part of a Metrolinx investment strategy to pay for the “second wave” of projects.
But Metrolinx no longer refers to the “downtown” relief line.

“We’re talking about providing relief on the entire system for people coming through the Toronto region,” Aikins said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...studies_relief_line_to_ease_ttc_crowding.html

The TTC’s study suggests the first phase would cost about $3.2 billion.

According to the Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study, Dundas West to Pape will cost $6.2 Billion. Pape to King would be $3.2. Another $2.1 Billion would built it to Eglinton. Metrolinx is planning to spend about $7 Billion on the project, so that should build the entire DRL south of Bloor.

According to the Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study, Dundas West to Pape will cost $6.2 Billion. Pape to King would be $3.2. Another $2.1 Billion would built it to Eglinton. Metrolinx is planning to spend about $7 Billion on the project, so that should build the entire DRL south of Bloor.

I would rather see from say Bathurst and King up to Eglinton and Don Mills as opposed to from Bloor to Danforth via downtown. That is of course if budget is a concern. To me getting the eastern branch up to Eglinton is more important than getting the western branch to Bloor.

The Dundas West - Pape alignment is more "traditional". That's why most people seem to assume that is what will be built. But I agree with you that going to Eglinton is far more important.

Also one of the benefits of this is that the line is much more likely to be extended west from St. Andrew/King sooner then it would to be extended north from pape. It would also be a catalyst for a subway on Don Mills, which I would imagine would provide massive relief to Yonge north of eglinton.

How many of us would have guessed that Bloor to Wellesley is the most overcrowded part of the system? Either Wellesley is used much more than it appears, or that section is just a little over 100% capacity.

Also take a look at how the Yonge North extension will crush the line south of Steeles and even more so at Sheppard-Yonge. With it nearly at 100% capacity, people who live in Toronto are going to have a tough time catching a ride on the Yonge Subway. Even more reason to extend the DRL along Don Mills to Finch.

And initially I was surprised that St. Andrew - Union - King was at less than 50% capacity, though I really shouldn't have been. Union has less than half the ridership of Bloor (YUS), which is just under 100% capacity.

Nice to see the Spadina line is intact. Unsurprisingly, Finch West won't have much of an impact.

rs3GgoE.png

How many of us would have guessed that Bloor to Wellesley is the most overcrowded part of the system? Either Wellesley is used much more than it appears, or that section is just a little over 100% capacity.

This makes it very clear that the transfers at Y-B, and to a somewhat lessor extent, St. George, are the critical locations. That is a problem with the Scarborough planning - both the LRT and the Subway extension dump all the new riders along the B-D and many of these will still transfer at Y-B, especially the ones whose destination is not directly on the DRL. If those transfering passengers could be distributed between the B-D line and the Eglinton line, then riders would have twice as many locations to make their transfers. This would result in lower dwell times for the Yonge interchange stations, thus the capacity of the Yonge line could be increased. The decisions being made now on Eglinton and in Scarborough are just making it that much harder to solve the over-capacity on the Yonge line.

Also take a look at how the Yonge North extension will crush the line south of Steeles and even more so at Sheppard-Yonge. With it nearly at 100% capacity, people who live in Toronto are going to have a tough time catching a ride on the Yonge Subway. Even more reason to extend the DRL along Don Mills to Finch.
+1

If we want the DRL to relieve Yonge, it must run parallel to Yonge for a great enough distrance to actually siphon off the riders from Sheppard, Finch and Steeles. Maybe a single Design Build project from Bathurst (or Dundas West) to Seneca College.

And initially I was surprised that St. Andrew - Union - King was at less than 50% capacity, though I really shouldn't have been. Union has less than half the ridership of Bloor (YUS), which is just under 100% capacity.

Nice to see the Spadina line is intact. Unsurprisingly, Finch West won't have much of an impact.

I thought Sorbera told us the reason for extending the Spadina line to Vaughan was to balance out the ridership with the Yonge line. It still would be at less than 50% at Dupont! Either this forecast is wrong or we were lied to.

I would put money down that the Yonge extension gets built before the DRL. As soon as a Conservative government gets into power in Ontario or seriously contends for power Yonge will take priority and any talk of a DRL will be shelved. That is why I essentially give up and support all suburban subway expansion projects. Each approved suburban subway project is one step closer to a DRL, maybe not for me, but for my children or grandchildren.

I thought Sorbera told us the reason for extending the Spadina line to Vaughan was to balance out the ridership with the Yonge line. It still would be at less than 50% at Dupont! Either this forecast is wrong or we were lied to.

We were lied to. How the hell would extending the subway north west to Vaughan "balance out" ridership. Nobody coming from as far west as the Spadina Subway line would ever go to Yonge anyways.

Back