Anything is possible, but constructing an interchange at Broadview is more trouble than it's worth. ...

It can work, and I think it is worth it. Twin bored tunnels, platform in the middle. As you’ve shown in your image of Finch West, the entire platform area doesn’t need to be opened to the surface during construction - which is a common practice. So yes, the 504 and 505 can be disrupted, or it can be kept going with some engineering work (more likely the former over the latter). But even if it does require diverting, it’s not that big of an issue. Those lines can be looped on Broadview at Queen, Dundas, or Gerrard; and buses can hit up Broadview in their place. I'm assuming such will be the case when the DRL intersects with Line 1 if under King or Queen. And again, the gradients and curves in this section are nothing crazy. And nothing here is “hanging off the side of the valley†(that's a bit rich). And you're right that Broadview has a bend at this point, which is a complication. But it's nothing that will rule out construction. Here's a slapdash image to show possibilities:

don-crossing-at-danforth_both.png

One thing I didn't mention yet is that recent reports on a DRL study mentioned the need for a wye junction with the Danforth subway, so that trains could reach Greenwood Yard. ...

As for a switchover to B/D...I don’t want to get into that quite yet because I don’t know what vehicles I’d like to use. I’ve always been partial to LRT. Heck, I wouldn’t care all that much if it were recycled CLRVs coupled together. If you say the ridership will be so low, then surely an LRT solution can work. But long and short, I have thought about it. I’m just not fully decided yet.

Those who ride the BD line during the morning rush know that overcrowding gets pretty bad these days by the time you get to Pape, let alone Broadview. ...

As for the slightly higher ridership at Broadview, it won't necessarily stay that way. ...

How can you say the 504 and 505 on Broadview would remain intact, ...

Bus routes can be altered. And I’ve already mentioned my (yet to be published) parallel fantasy idea about extending the 504/505 up Broadview and looping it back to service Pape Village and draw more riders to Broadview. It can work quite well, even if it involves single track sections. Transit City-lite, yo! Fact of the matter is that Broadview has more usage, and buses that otherwise go to Pape can be diverted to Broaview - thus bumping up the the ridership further. As for worrying about providing relief to B/D...I think SmartTrack has got that covered. IMO that line is more of a B/D relief than Yonge.

Where are we doing it again? ....

Originally when I posted this idea back in Sept/Oct, I said I wanted the Prov to undertake this proposal for the sole reason that they’re less likely to sway to NIMBYism. Loot at the Georgetown South and UPX project: High frequency diesel behind people’s backyards, deafening pounding of pilings...and they got it done! Like I said before, I know this park and what the viaduct through Riverdale would entail. I actually thought of the idea whilst standing on the pedestrian bridge connecting the two parks. I’m not saying there won’t be opposition. But these issues can be remedied with meetings and promises (e.g tree plantings to hide the viaduct, improved baseball diamonds, improved/asphalt running track, aesthetically pleasing design). The tree-planting idea I think would go a long way to allowing this proposal. Bring Back the Don and TRCA has continually been identifying areas for planting and naturalization. And a similar point about renaturalization post-bridge construction was made in the Yonge North study. The traditional DRL bridge between O’Connor to Thorncliffe is even closer to a larger number of homes. The same issues will arise there, and similar promises will have to be made to allow it.

It's 3.5 km, not 4. ...

Stupid or not, the Scarb Subway was voted on and supported by a majority at Council; plus the Prov and Feds. Even Tory recently said he prefers the 3.5km stop spacing. So it’s not really all that “unprecedentedâ€. And 3.5km is still larger than my 3.1km, not to mention with an actual population bypassed in between. Unless you think a stop at Brickworks is logical, it should be pretty obvious why there’s such a large gap between stops when crossing the valley at that point. And guess what, most cities build transit like I’ve proposed: more direct routes, use of greenspace, use of open air sections for a line, sacrifices for cost-savings. In case you weren’t aware, transit costs nowadays – but more specifically in TO – are absolutely astronomical. The Crosstown alone is up there with some of the world’s most expensive RT projects. Honestly, I think most cities building anything akin to the DRL, for such ridiculous costs, would avoid the disjointed “fair†approach of serving every neighbourhood along the way.

My logic (and that of TTC and Metrolinx) for the DRL be built through Gerrard Square ...

Frankly, I think many will be in for a rude awakening regarding stations and density increases along the traditional DRL route south of Danforth. Much of the area is predominantly detached Edwardian homes. Edwardian means by default they have heritage value and it’s without a question there will be a vociferous uproar about a) removing rows of them for stations and development; and b) changing the neighbourhood’s character. Aside from a couple highrises directly south of Broadview Stn, there is only one tall building in that large quadrant south of the Danforth (it’s an aluminum-sided standalone oddity on Logan that sticks out like a sore thumb). The community opposition to higher-density development in this area isn’t hypothetical - there’s well-documented resistance. All the development in that area in recent memory has been lowrise and mostly townhomes. Carlaw is seeing midrise factory loft conversions, but I can’t think of a single area where high-density has been approved.

And if you need more proof about this opposition, look at the Danforth. It has a subway, but where’s the density? Why haven’t any tall buildings been approved? Interestingly, the only tall buildings between Broadview and Woodbine are at Broadview. Between Danforth and Mortimer, yes there’s a lot of density and I can see some growth potential. But as it stands the only highrise growth I’ve seen in that area in the last decade or so has been on Broadview at Pottery Rd. As for anything around O’Connor, much of that area is almost as suburban as Mississauga. Even adding a second storey to some homes is a complex undertaking that local NIMBYS routinely oppose.

So on top of having SmartTrack with direct service to the core, the non-high density area around Pape from Queen to Gerrard will also have underground subway service. Does such a heavy investment there seem realistic? Meanwhile you write-off River St even when I pointed out that a tower project has been proposed to adjoin another tower project, all next to a huge area in the throes of higher density redevelopment.

The difference between Kipling station and your version of Thorncliffe Park, is that Kipling is well connected...

An extension of Redway Rd as part of its extension to Bayview isn’t unrealistic. With Thorncliffe Pk Drive connected and looped to Beth Nielson, I think a solid grid could be created. At the very least something to run buses into a bus bay built as part of the station. The greenspace below the hydro corridor can be used for surface or station parking...which isn’t anything new for the TTC (e.g Finch). As for redeveloping manufacturing and warehouses into some other use (which can still involve land zoned for employment), that’s up to the City’s planning department. It can be done, and it has been done. Comparing this site to Kipling is actually quite apt, considering their similarities. There are numerous other sprawling TTC stations I can compare it to, but Kipling fits well because it also has a freight corridor next to it.

Laird station: yes it can connect to buses, ....

Yeah, well. There’s still some development opportunity there, and a current condo proposal closeby. Even the nearby Loblaws can be turned into a development. As for the Midtown Line...my proposal doesn’t rule that out.

Building a subway in the middle of a highway is one of the worst places to do it. ...

I don’t know about this “living next to a highway sucks†comment. There are people paying big money to live within spitting distance of the Gardiner, which is a proper expressway and is way worse than the Allen. I wouldn't do it personally, but others would. The Allen is just a short highway and hasn’t detracted from private interest. Like I’ve said, it’s local residents opposing development, not anything to do with the Allen itself. Or the odd station locations. As for the subway not travelling under Dufferin, sure it could’ve done that. But it would’ve been more expensive, and probably not have been built as a result. And even if it were, Dufferin may very well have remained as you describe it.

Wait, what? So you're saying that the Sheppard subway was a successful result ...

Never said Sheppard was successful. Merely that the Cdn Tire warehouse and ample land with “nothing there†is why the line got built. And nor am I saying that a Vaughan extension made sense, merely that it got built because ‘nothing was there’. I don’t agree with this method of building subways. But as history shows it’s how they get built in TO.

Although I’m not in any way against the traditional DRL alignment (contrary to how I’ve been labelled after posting my map), I will say with a straight face that development is a bigger driver of costly transit projects than simply building transit to existing neighbourhoods or current riders. Oftentimes it’s the swaths of greenfield, greyfield, and brownfield sites that are most attractive (i.e – what many here describe as “nothingâ€). As well, if there’s an opportunity to save $Billions of dollars at the expense of little ridership growth, most city’s would understandably take it. IMO existing riders simply switching from riding the Pape bus to walking into a future DRL station does not count as “growthâ€.

TTC version: $5.3 B
Your version: $3.2 B
Not half the cost, skips many neighbourhoods, will have low ridership.
I never said it's impossible.

I recall the word “miraculousâ€, which I interpret as meaning impossible. Not to mention the fact that you started that post by saying how the elevations were too high to properly connect under Broadview (they aren't), that there was nowhere to realistically launch tunnels (there's actually several perfect locations), and that you left blank spaces for more yet-to-be-determined theories as to why it's somehow technically unfeasible.

So an extra $2,100,000,000 for a little bit more development (or arguably less)? And a marginal increase in new ridership (or arguably less)? I dunno, I think my Don Line can give the traditional DRL a run for its money. Not trying to sound cocky, deluded, or trolling. But I believe in this proposal more now than I did before.

Phase one from St Andrew to Danforth is what will be built first, ...

My focus is Phase I and III built in one shot.

Attachments

• don-crossing-at-danforth_both.png
    don-crossing-at-danforth_both.png
    1 MB · Views: 516
Those who ride the BD line during the morning rush know that overcrowding gets pretty bad these days by the time you get to Pape, let alone Broadview. The Scarborough subway will only exasperate this problem, so having the DRL interchange two stations sooner at Pape will provide more relief for BD than at Broadview. It's time that everyone stop pretending that the Yonge line is the only looming catastrophe that we are forced to deal with.

With the B-D extension to McCowan/Sheppard, all of Scarborough West of Kennedy would take a bus to the B-D line and be on it at Vic Park (if they are going downtown).

With the Transit City SRT/LRT, all of Scarborough West of Kennedy will take a bus to the S/LRT or Kennedy Station itself. They too would all be on the B-D at Vic Park.

I think the "Scarborough subway" will have virtually no effect on the number of riders in this discussion - the ones transferring at Pape/Broadview and/or Yonge. The only way to get them away from the B-D line would be to connect the SRT with the ECLRT. That way riders could go to the top of the DRL (Don Mills / Eg) and transfer there - never going on either the Yonge line or the B-D line.

SmartTrack actually CAN remove riders from the B-D line and reduce the transfers to the Yonge line at Bloor, depending on the route through downtown.

That is why I think the if Eglinton is not built grade-separated and connected to the SRT, then the DRL will not be built.

(There are also the political reasons that the downtown ridings that the DRL pass through will never vote for the PC''s, and the real goal is to provide transit to the outer 416 and inner 905 - because those are the keys to electoral victory. Also, without a high capacity line on Eglinton feeding the DRL, the push for the DRL would come from Thorncliffe and Flemindon - both areas with little clout at City Hall.

It can work, and I think it is worth it. Twin bored tunnels, platform in the middle. As you’ve shown in your image of Finch West, the entire platform area doesn’t need to be opened to the surface during construction - which is a common practice.

I'm not sure where you think it's "common practice", but the construction for Finch West Station - as for every single other station ever built in Toronto in the past, and to happen in the foreseeable future - was most certainly totally opened to the surface. It can be decked over once excavated, which is what you see in that photo, but it needs to be opened up to the sky first before that happens.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm not sure where you think it's "common practice", but the construction for Finch West Station - as for every single other station ever built in Toronto in the past, and to happen in the foreseeable future - was most certainly totally opened to the surface. It can be decked over once excavated, which is what you see in that photo, but it needs to be opened up to the sky first before that happens.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think it was clear that was the intent of the statement.

As you’ve shown in your image of Finch West, the entire platform area doesn’t need to be opened to the surface during [the full duration of] construction

I may've been purposely ambiguous, because I'm not certain about station construction. But I assume there exists methods to build station boxes and platforms almost entirely underground, and without having to open the box to the surface. Particularly in the instances where: a) a line is very deep; and b) where the surface can't be disturbed due to obstructions. At the very least the station can be carved out in separate section at different times.
I started watching a documentary someone here linked to about London's Crossrail. I'm sure if I finish watching it the answer to this may be a bit more clear.

I may've been purposely ambiguous, because I'm not certain about station construction. But I assume there exists methods to build station boxes and platforms almost entirely underground, and without having to open the box to the surface. Particularly in the instances where: a) a line is very deep; and b) where the surface can't be disturbed due to obstructions. At the very least the station can be carved out in separate section at different times.
How were St. Andrew, St. Patrick, and Osgood constructed? I always figured they were tunnelled somehow, because of the ceilings, but I don't know. The Snowdon interchange station in Montreal was tunnelled - you can still see the bedrock in spots between the platforms - but that's bedrock.

Generally, I think it's more expensive to tunnel it in soil, unless you are deeper than many, if not all, of our stations are set, given the advances in jet grouting and pile-walls in recent decades.

That is why I think the if Eglinton is not built grade-separated and connected to the SRT, then the DRL will not be built.

(There are also the political reasons that the downtown ridings that the DRL pass through will never vote for the PC''s, and the real goal is to provide transit to the outer 416 and inner 905 - because those are the keys to electoral victory. Also, without a high capacity line on Eglinton feeding the DRL, the push for the DRL would come from Thorncliffe and Flemindon - both areas with little clout at City Hall.

Downtown businesses have an interest in DRL, too; in order to bring their employees to the workplace. Business groups started pushing for it in the last few years.

Business groups and associations are partially how the CrossRail in London got the momentum to get built if I recall.

As for the DRL's problems, Warsaw in Poland recently constructed a subway line underneath the Vistula river (a river many times the size of the Don) and tunneled under their downtown core without the cost or time length that the DRL is supposed to take.

Last edited:
Wisla - Indeed, older and more complicated cities manage to build new subways under their cores. New York, Prague, Rome, and Athens are among them off the top of my head. Paris has more than 20 metro crossings of the Seine. Given what other parts of the world have done, it's pretty weird seeing people talk about crossing the Don or tunneling under the financial district being too complicated.

What exactly are we managing on Eglinton? Between Yonge and Bayview there is only a stop at Mount Pleasant, but that will see the elimination of several intervening bus stops. Not necessarily a big deal, but there we are.

And, no, the purpose of the DRL is not to serve as a fabled "Queen Subway" but to relieve congestion on the Yonge line.

It is also completely wrong to suggest that that King and Queen cars are not "up to the task" - that's certainly the case with existing funding levels, but the notion that "nothing can be done" to improve streetcar (or any surface) routes) represents a failure of imagination. Long before we even have an EA done for a DRL, the new streetcars will be running on King and Queen, and we will have had years to introduce proof-of-payment, timed transfers, transit priority, and hopefully the elimination of street parking and finally adequate enforcement against illegal turns and stopping. You don't need a subway to enjoy good, frequent service, and implication of this argument is a general lack of knowledge about how, say, even buses work in countries and cities where transit is adequately funded.
Between Laird and Keele the Eglinton line will have 3 fewer stops than the Bloor line. That's still close enough to provide local service along its length. Yes, people will be walking farther to get to a stop but it's worth it to improve the overall level of service. Point being that a dense urban environment doesn't make stations fairly close together any less feasible.

True, the version of the DRL from the 80s wasn't meant to serve Queen directly but it was meant to partially meet Queen transit demand. But it was very much a product of its time, meant to build a subway on the cheap when there wasn't much in the downtown shoulder areas. There was no concept of GO RER back then, streetcars ran more efficiently, and the core of the city is now much, much more heavily populated. It was one brief version of the east-west transit line that has been talked about for a century. But needs have changed. With GO RER going full steam ahead, the 80s DRL would only duplicate that and be a big expense for little benefit. But GO RER can't solve two major problems: Bloor-Yonge overcrowding and the King/Queen streetcar issue. A DRL can do both and still provide a faster ride than the same ride on Bloor/Yonge. It would kill two birds with one stone and give a lot more bang for our buck.

The 80s DRL isn't really relevant anymore and that's reflected in the Big Move, which put the relief line conceptually on Queen St (of course, the final alignment still has to be determined through the EA process).

Finally, no, the King and Queen streetcars are in no way up to the task. Just this afternoon the Queen car was at a crush load well west of Bathurst. That shouldn't happen on a random Saturday afternoon. Yes the new streetcars will help and other things can be done like signal priority, removing car traffic, etc. But that can only do so much. The Bourke Street mall in Melbourne is often brought up as something that could be done in Toronto. The two lines that use that street have a daily ridership of 84,000, quite a bit more than the King car but still not really big numbers. Compare that with the Metrolinx core line ridership projections of 117 million annual riders, or 320,000 per day. It also projects a peak point load of 17,500 riders, more than any point on the Bloor line. That shows that the current service is maxed out and there's huge latent demand. So much so that for every improvement to the streetcars, more people will ride and they will continue to be overcrowded.

Absolutely correct, especially now, as the rookie councillor for Ward 26 has abandoned the DRL in favour of Smart Track.
That's absurd. No ward benefits more from the DRL than Ward 26, if they extend it to Eglinton, potentially with stations at Thorncliffe, Flemingdon, and Eglinton. How does SmartTrack have any benefits to Ward 26?

Tunnelling downtown will pose some challenges, but it won't be a significant issue overall. Enwave, for instance, built a substantial network of tunnels downtown. Most people haven't even heard of it let alone know where the tunnels are located.

I don't think that was clear at all. And even if it doesn't need to be open for the full duration of the construction, if it is at a relatively shallow depth than it does need to be open at some point - meaning that the land above the station and any buildings in the way need to be purchased and cleared - not an inconsequential task in the area of Broadview and Danforth.

I started watching a documentary someone here linked to about London's Crossrail. I'm sure if I finish watching it the answer to this may be a bit more clear.

Mining stations can and is being done in all sorts of places - Ottawa and New York are just two that are doing it now.

The issue is soil conditions. Both of those cities conveniently have bedrock located relatively close to the surface. For the most part, Toronto does not. While it certainly isn't impossible - the triple-track section north of Finch West Station is mined, for instance - it is a lot more complex, and more expensive too, and it may not even be possible in some places.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

How were St. Andrew, St. Patrick, and Osgood constructed? I always figured they were tunnelled somehow, because of the ceilings, but I don't know. The Snowdon interchange station in Montreal was tunnelled - you can still see the bedrock in spots between the platforms - but that's bedrock.

The University Line from Osgoode to Museum was definitely bored, and certain points were through bedrock. And good point about the unique circular ceilings and design of St Patrick and QP’s platforms. The cross-section schematic below seems to support the idea that they had their platforms bored, and that it’s not merely some architectural flair. Smallspy may have jumped the gun in saying the TTC has never built stations in this way.

subway-5103-04.jpg

subway-5103-05.jpg

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there was little disturbance on the surface during construction of the University Line south of Bloor. Or at least St Patrick and QP definitely didn’t have the 150m x 20m x 15m deep caverns some posters are saying would be required when building any subway station. Sure there’d obviously be access points and hoarding at ground level, but nothing even remotely as large or deep as an entire station’s footprint. TransitToronto also makes a note that area hospitals along the University Line were opposed to cut/cover work.

Here are some drone images from UT poster jasonzed. Although I want to share them for the simple fact that they are phenomenal, I also think they give a good idea of what we’re dealing with south of the Danforth for development around proposed SmartTrack or DRL stations. Namely that development will be low to mid-rise, low to mid-density, and confined to the main streets / well outside the sea of houses. I think that even with this added small-scale development the area may actually experience little to no population increase over that time. Reason: the remainder of houses used as apartments/rooming houses/triplexes will switch to single-family homes. Such is the case across most of Old Toronto. I predict a similar situation for Thorncliffe and Flemingdon: families of three or four generations sharing one apartment will change over to singles and DINKs.

Compared that with all the mid to high-density development in and around Regent Park, Moss Park, Distillery, Pan Am, WDL, and the subsequent highrise development that will be brought about along the periphery.

And although not approved, developers have been requesting 35-storey highrises along River St:
http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/oak-heights
9504-33363.jpg

Some might say I’m goading my detractors, but I’m going to make some bold statements which I believe to be true. I think it can be well argued that my Don Line proposal:

-relieves Yonge more than the conventional DRL
-has greater potential for large-scale, high-density development than the conventional DRL
-consequently has greater potential for new ridership growth than the conventional DRL
-provides a faster/shorter trip than the conventional DRL
-costs at least two billion dollars less than the conventional DRL

Not to mention that it’s more realistic than many posters are saying. Some negotiations for landscaping and tree planting, investment in park facilities and amenities, neat designs incorporating sound barriers - and I think the elevated section through Riverdale is very doable.

As for the supposed unfeasible technical and engineering challenges...they don’t seem to exist. Although other posters condescendingly imply that there are numerous issues, there doesn’t seem to be any. Re: Broadview and the supposed difficulties associated with slotting in an interchange station below; our current QP and St Patrick stations show that stations can be bored without carving out the station’s footprint from the surface. The B/D interchange can theoretically be situated under Broadview in any direction without issue.

Attachments

• subway-5103-04.jpg
    subway-5103-04.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 495
  • subway-5103-05.jpg
    subway-5103-05.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 512
  • 9504-33363.jpg
    9504-33363.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 520
Regarding University line station construction methods:

Recall that University Avenue is lined with hospitals and other medical facilities. While University Line was constructed, it was critical to disrupt the surface as little as possible to avoid disrupting the movements of ambulances and other emergency vehicles.

I have no way of verifying this, but given the sensitive nature of Univeristy Avenue, I think it's reasonable to assert that the stations were bored. Digging up four major instersections would be an undesirable situation.

That said, if anyone cares enough to look through the Toronto archives, it would likely put this debate to rest rather quickly.

I know it was reposted not too long ago. But there were a couple things I wanted to fix, mostly aesthetic. Last night I made a secondary map to more clearly show its alignment through Riverdale Park. The S-shaped viaduct would essentially hug the park’s periphery along Bayview and the DVP, and wouldn’t result in any major loss of park land. At most a baseball diamond or two would have to be shifted; as well the eastern ramp for the pedestrian bridge would require rebuilding. And because it’s a low bridge with simple concrete piers, the parkland below would still be 100% usable and accessible.

View attachment 40535

As other Toronto projects like Theatre Park have shown us, this is what the Toronto solution will really look like:

Image01.jpg

What you are proposing is what the rest of the world calls a bait and switch.

Attachments

• Image01.jpg
    Image01.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 475

Back