And now I see Salsa’s attempt at refutation. Y’know what, I may have to take a break from posting in this thread. Obviously the onslaught and attempts at ridiculing this proposal won’t cease any time soon. I’ve only skimmed over your argument,

Salsa rebuttal was well thought out. It certainly wasn't ridiculing it.

Salsa. Needless to say, it won’t be very hard to refute. I may take my time in doing it, but it will be a cakewalk.

Go ahead an refute it then, instead of making empty threats.

And now I see Salsa’s attempt at refutation. Y’know what, I may have to take a break from posting in this thread. Obviously the onslaught and attempts at ridiculing this proposal won’t cease any time soon. I’ve only skimmed over your argument, Salsa. Needless to say, it won’t be very hard to refute. I may take my time in doing it, but it will be a cakewalk.

You seem to not be taking the criticism from other forum members well. I can understand why; you obviously invested a lot into this proposal. But the entire point of participating in this forum is to share and be critical of our ideas and opinions. We're not here to always agree with each other. If you're not willing to be open to genuine criticisms (and for the most part, the criticisms have been genuine), then maybe it is time you take a break.

Why isn't a station at Queen and Broadview considered?

It seems like it has great redevelopment potential in all directions from the intersection, is in proximity of the Unilever site, has access to Broadview and Queen streetcars, and is considerable walking distance to both Queen East and River stations.

I totally agree. I'm sure it will be considered, and undergo a cost-benefit analysis.

I totally agree. I'm sure it will be considered, and undergo a cost-benefit analysis.

While we're on this, I'm not sold on having just 1 station (Sherbourne) between River and Yonge.

If we kept consistent stop spacing, stations at Jarvis and Parliament fit well. Sherbourne is the busier route, but it is arguably in walking distance to both. It's a tough call. Having three stations on all three streets is perhaps too much if we want to maintain the relief aspect of this line.

It also can depend highly on which route through downtown the DRL ends up taking.

Also, since the idea of a DRL alignment on Adelaide with stations entrances/connections on both Queen and King streets drew criticism for being impractical or too long and whatnot... How about a Richmond alignment?

My understanding would be that Richmond is easier to dig under than Queen would be, it is in very close proximity to Queen allowing for a subway entrance on Queen, close enough to Adelaide to provide a more feasible subway entrance with shorter escalators (Adelaide is an easy walk from King), and would be easier to bring back to Queen in the west, probably under Niagara street or something.

While we're on this, I'm not sold on having just 1 station (Sherbourne) between River and Yonge.

If we kept consistent stop spacing, stations at Jarvis and Parliament fit well. Sherbourne is the busier route, but it is arguably in walking distance to both. It's a tough call. Having three stations on all three streets is perhaps too much if we want to maintain the relief aspect of this line.

It also can depend highly on which route through downtown the DRL ends up taking.

Jarvis and Parliament makes perfect sense. Jarvis would be a little close to Yonge (550m), but I think it's better than going more than a kilometre without a station. And stations that close to each other aren't unusual for the subway downtown.

The eastern right of way is genuinely trickier (as is the Eglington spur), so I'll let others dissect that. They'll need to pull off a second GTS (Georgetown South) megaproject east of Union, to make SmartTrack possible, with a few trenches, tunnels, and maybe raised rail... But they can reduce that need by more efficiently utilizing the corridor capacity to only need perhaps one additional track (plus two only in certain sections).

I do hope that since Metrolinx declares SmartTrack being under the GO RER umbrella, the province might insist on full sized electricified GO RER trains (like the Paris RER, they use a mix of single levels and bilevels running subway-style frequencies) to make efficient use of corridor capacity. That way, they can safely substitute some of the existing local GO service with SmartTrack, reducing need for extra trackage (separation of GO/SmartTrack). The province, who is funding a 'share' of the construction, can theoretically withhold until the SmartTrack specs satisfactorily meets GO RER criteria, using huge Paris-style electric MMU trains rather than tiny UPX-style trains

No doubt. I’m actually a bit confounded why Toronto City Hall is debating and voting on something that is essentially a Prov and Metrolinx project. Council recently had a vote about funding the study. As it stands there’s unanimous support for SmartTrack. But in a few years, with Ford and Mammo still making news and garnering resistance, will that last? Our dysfunctional Council has dropped the ball so many times transit-wise, it would be a great shame if they screwed the pooch for a project as regionally important as RER.

Re: east of Union. I guess I meant to imply that this section will be the most finicky and worthy of looking at with googlemaps. You are correct that there are similarities between our rail corridors; and that what was built on the west side of the city can and should be built in the east. But there’s no denying the differences. Stouffville south of Steeles is a quiet narrow corridor that is almost entirely single track.

And while you're at it, you can also refute this finding from the TTC's Downotown Rapid Transit Study:

An initial phase of the project extending from the University Subway line in the downtown (St Andrews or Osgoode Station) easterly to connect with the Danforth Subway at Pape Station provides the greatest and most immediate benefit to relieving overcrowding on the Yonge Subway.

Or is that too easy to refute too? Maybe I should also take a break, because other posters are now chiming in and have said what I said.

Very easy to refute: I think it’s quite safe to say that intercepting B/D at Broadview would result in a greater diversion of Yonge-bound riders than if the intercepting line were to be further east at Pape. I may make some diagrams and charts to show this, but it seems to be a logical conclusion. Surely others agree with me on this?

Building such a line to Eglinton in the same timeframe as a DRL Phase I to Pape - funnily enough for the same reasonably-ballparked cost ($3.2bn), not to mention a shorter/faster BD to YUS path (4km vs 5km; 3 stations vs 4 stns) – it’s easy to reckon that the Don Line would go much farther in providing that ‘great’ and ‘immediate’ relief Yonge needs.

A small study showing one routing option, and a statement supporting that option, doesn’t mean I’m wrong.

__

Apologies that these next responses aren’t formally written. I may take the time later on to write something less sloppy. A few points I wanted to address:

@dunk
-River at Oak has seen a highrise proposal; a rather large one. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see more proposals b/n River and Bayview from Queen to Gerrard. Just like other areas outside the core, it's considered an underseved shoulder area. Whereas Pape/Gerrard will have ST, this will have nothing.

-“mediocre” growth compared to west of the Don where buildings can actually be highrises or high-density projects. There are no highrises around Gerrard Sq (save for one aluminum oddity on Logan). In another post I went on at length about the lack of high density in this quadrant of Old TO, opposition, and sea of Edwardians that I can’t envision going anywhere. growth on carlaw is midrise loft conversions and townhomes

-the Loblaws at Redway is less than 300m from my proposed Laird Stn. I assumed ‘walking distance’ to mean 500m to 1000m. If one developer were to buy that site, it's safe to say we'd be seeing calls for transit to built there

-King/River is pretty WDL. Unless you’re confusing WDL with LDL(?).

@wisla
Queen/Broadview is great and big things are happening. But I still consider it to be within walking distance of a theoretical station at Queen/River, as well it will have ST Unilever Stn

@Tiger
-I guess the word “ridicule” is ambiguous, and I was referring more to the use of non-sequiturs, sarcasm, and sweeping statements. E.g: something is bad because it’s not good; and something is terrible because it’s not something it should be; implying that there are significant engineering impossibilities when there aren't any, etc. And there’s no denying there’s been proper ridicule abound from numerous posters. I’ve always gone out of my way to approach debates amicably, unless in the situation where confronted with blatant derision from posters who tend to approach debates differently

-and I will refute them. But it takes time. And when debating the same arguments, but worded differently, it’s a bit tedious...considering I’ll be rewriting my same counterarguments.

More of an open statement: I’ve never once said anything negative about the DRL. I want it to happen. But if it’s not going to happen (which is a distinct possibility), then I’d like there to be a backup alternative which can fulfill almost all the original promises of a DRL. Some may prefer a rinkydink TC Don Mills LRT, but I think this plan is better.

Last edited:
More of an open statement: I’ve never once said anything negative about the DRL. I want it to happen. But if it’s not going to happen (which is a distinct possibility), then I’d like there to be a backup alternative which can fulfill almost all the original promises of a DRL. Some may prefer a rinkydink TC Don Mills LRT, but I think this plan is better.

Unfortunately, despite the cost savings (which I think is the only reason you continue to advocate it) your meandering route through the Don Valley doesn't come close to fulfilling the benefits of a more conventional DRL. Metrolinx and the TTC would be better off waiting until more funding was available than to actually pursue such a plan. That isn't a personal attack but objectively analyzing your plan, it fails to connect key transportation nodes, residential areas as well as trip generating surface routes that would actually make it a viable and well utilized piece of infrastructure. Your plan likens the DRL to some sort of multi-billion dollar amusement park ride.

The Sherbourne problem could always be resolved like this:

Jarvis is the more important corridor in the core and there's no reason the 75 couldn't extend north along Jarvis from the Esplanade to Queen and loop in Moss Park were the DRL to have its station there. The SmartTrack station were in at Lower Jarvis and the Esplanade is already served by the 75 bus and such only an on-street transfer is necessary.

Jarvis and Parliament makes perfect sense. Jarvis would be a little close to Yonge (550m), but I think it's better than going more than a kilometre without a station. And stations that close to each other aren't unusual for the subway downtown.

If Bay and Yonge Stns less than 500 metres apart can exist, there's no sound reason to object to Yonge and Jarvis Stns on a DRL. They can be spaced out further as well if the Yonge station straddles the area between Yonge and Bay and the Jarvis station box lies between Jarvis and Sherbourne. Jarvis is the better location for access to St Lawrence Market and George Brown College. And Parliament lies in the heart of the Distillery District neighbourhood. If following a Queen Street alignment, then direct access to the high-density low-income Regent Park area is achieved.

Queen/Broadview is great and big things are happening. But I still consider it to be within walking distance of a theoretical station at Queen/River, as well it will have ST Unilever Stn

IMO, there should be four stations in between Carlaw and Yonge: Jarvis, Parliament, River and Broadview. River St is far enough away from Broadview and requiring a bridge crossing as such not to be convenient for walk-ins from Riverdale to use. UniLever Stn is better situated west of the Don to serve the WDL with pedestrian bridges to connect the station to the UniLever site.

If Bay and Yonge Stns less than 500 metres apart can exist, there's no sound reason to object to Yonge and Jarvis Stns on a DRL. They can be spaced out further as well if the Yonge station straddles the area between Yonge and Bay and the Jarvis station box lies between Jarvis and Sherbourne. Jarvis is the better location for access to St Lawrence Market and George Brown College. And Parliament lies in the heart of the Distillery District neighbourhood. If following a Queen Street alignment, then direct access to the high-density low-income Regent Park area is achieved.

IMO, there should be four stations in between Carlaw and Yonge: Jarvis, Parliament, River and Broadview. River St is far enough away from Broadview and requiring a bridge crossing as such not to be convenient for walk-ins from Riverdale to use. UniLever Stn is better situated west of the Don to serve the WDL with pedestrian bridges to connect the station to the UniLever site.

Yonge Line Stations can be so close because the subway runs almost directly under Yonge St. To cross from one end of the station to the other, you have to either cross the street, or cross under the tracks. Station frequency in the core is going to be largely dictated by depth. More depth means fewer stations. I imagine to cross under the existing subway line as well as the Don River, the line would be very deep by Toronto standards.

Even so, I still think a station near Broadview (or south of Broadview) is a good idea, regardless of how far south the line dips. I'd personally rather serve the Unilever site with a Subway station on the same side of the river. This can be accomplished by punching Broadview Ave through the rail corridor with a Streetcar ROW to connect to Saulter Street. Broadview Ave would then become the spine of the East Don Lands street grid, looking something like this.

Another factor here is if the station spacing is too frequent, you'd lose some of the time benefit you'd have received if you'd transferred at Bloor-Yonge instead. I'd personally prefer some wider stop spacing as to not make the local surface transit routes completely redundant.

Another factor here is if the station spacing is too frequent, you'd lose some of the time benefit you'd have received if you'd transferred at Bloor-Yonge instead. I'd personally prefer some wider stop spacing as to not make the local surface transit routes completely redundant.

People keep saying this but it just doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Even the most stop-happy DRL proposals have only 8 stations between Pape and King, max. The equivalent route on lines 1 and 2 has 11. There's no need to try to limit the number of stations on the DRL in the name of speed; it'll be faster no matter how many are built. And limiting the stations in an effort to preserve surface routes just limits the line's usefulness and wastes money by duplicating valuable operating resources. If a surface route is made redundant, it should be removed like they were when the other subway lines were built.

Last edited:
A few more things that I should add to my previous post:

Very easy to refute: I think it’s quite safe to say that intercepting B/D at Broadview would result in a greater diversion of Yonge-bound riders than if the intercepting line were to be further east at Pape. I may make some diagrams and charts to show this, but it seems to be a logical conclusion. Surely others agree with me on this?

A small study showing one routing option, and a statement supporting that option, doesn’t mean I’m wrong.

Amazingly, now you're trying to outsmart the team of experts who worked on that report for years, and dismiss it as a "small study". Obviously there's a lot more work to be done, but there has to be some logic as to why Pape has been the preferred option all along, including in the Network 2011 plan created back in 1985. I get what you're trying to say, but by that logic it can be argued that Sherbourne would provide even more diversion because it's further down the line and would thus allow more people to transfer. Problem is, trains are getting way too crowded down the line. Today it's already jam packed at Pape let alone Broadview, and that will not get any better with decades of future population growth even with the help of Smart Track. Pape appears to strike the best balance between diverting riders from Bloor-Yonge and creating capacity on the BD line, while also allowing for a northerly extention to Eglinton.

Queen/Broadview is great and big things are happening. But I still consider it to be within walking distance of a theoretical station at Queen/River, as well it will have ST Unilever Stn.

Interesting argument. Actually, that's completely valid, which I will now apply to Oak station. Queen/Broadview works out to be a 7 minute walk from Queen/River, which is perfectly acceptable. Here's what that looks like:

16271383515_1074483cd0_c.jpg

However most people are willing to walk longer than that. Planners typically use 10 minutes as the catchment area, as they did with the Dufferin LRT station for example. So lets see how far 10 minutes can get you:

16269590991_484cbf5b2e_c.jpg

Well isn't that interesting! Now what were you saying again...

River at Oak has seen a highrise proposal; a rather large one. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see more proposals b/n River and Bayview from Queen to Gerrard. Just like other areas outside the core, it's considered an underseved shoulder area. Whereas Pape/Gerrard will have ST, this will have nothing.

It turns out that the lions share of density around Oak is close enough to Queen/River station, especially the area between River and Bayview from Queen to Gerrard that you singled out for future development. What Oak station really does different, is benefit low-rise Cabbagetown at the expense of having no GO connection and one less streetcar compared to Queen/River. Meanwhile the 505 and 506 are still a good option for quick door to door transit to huge destinations like Eatons, Dundas Square, Ryerson and U of T, and personally I would rather use that then to take two subway trains to those same places. Underseved it isn't.

Now for some reason you can't seem to grasp the greater importance of a GO RER mobility hub at Gerrard Square and other places, so let me pull out some numbers this time. From that same report:

There appears to be a high number of transfers from GO Transit’s Lakeshore East and Richmond Hill services at Gerrard/Pape and Bayview/River stations. However, there is an additional reduction in passenger alightings from GO Rail services at Union Station due to the western leg. Specifically, there appears to be a high number of transfers at Dundas West, Roncesvalles and Queen/Dufferin stations from GO Transit’s Georgetown, Lakeshore West and Milton services respectively. Overall there are 10,000 less passengers alighting from GO Rail services at Union Station with both the eastern and western legs of the DRL, representing a 15% reduction in passenger activity at Union Station. Significantly relieving Union Station demands is an added benefit of this DRL option.

So there's a high number of transfers to the DRL, combined with a 15% reduction at overcrowded Union station. And as for station by station usage during the AM peak hour:

15651600563_7ef55d7d1b_z.jpg

Lets use Queen/River to represent Oak station, since they mostly overlap anyway. You said that Gerrard Square station is not justified because there happens to be less density there, and yet it has more boardings than Queen/River where there's more density. As I tried to say all along, density does not contribute as much ridership as as having good connections to surface transit routes. This just further proves my point that Gerrard is a better and more useful station. Not only that, but even Queen/River would get better numbers than Oak because there's more density, more streetcar connections, plus another GO station. I also think the report underestimates the volume of transfers from GO to DRL, because the 2031 reference networked didn't forecast Smart Track and GO RER. All it had assumed were these following extensions:
- Lakeshore West GO from Hamilton to St. Catharines
- Lakeshore East GO from Oshawa to Bowmanville
- Georgetown GO from Georgetown to Kitchener
- Stouffville GO from Stouffville to Lincolnville
- Milton GO from Milton to Cambridge.

More of an open statement: I’ve never once said anything negative about the DRL. I want it to happen. But if it’s not going to happen (which is a distinct possibility), then I’d like there to be a backup alternative which can fulfill almost all the original promises of a DRL.

You claim that your DRL costs about the same as phase I of the conventional DRL. If lack of funds prevent the conventional DRL from happening, then I don't see why your backup plan will happen instead.

Some may prefer a rinkydink TC Don Mills LRT, but I think this plan is better. Does anyone recall TC Phase II – Don Mills LRT? I think my proposal makes a lot more sense than having a trolley trundling along Overlea and Pape; or descending 150ft to the valley floor, meandering beside a river, then somehow abruptly ending at Castle Frank and having passengers connect to B/D via a 120ft-high and 500ft-long escalator tube. That was a bad idea for a relief line.

What the heck are you talking about? The Transit City map had the LRT go down to Pape station, not the Don Valley. More recently however, plans have changed to have the LRT terminate at Eglinton instead, because according to Steve Munro:
- Pape ave is too narrow for a ROW, so the LRT would have to go underground
- The Leaside bridge is not strong enough to carry LRT, so it would need structural modifications
- Because there's so much infrastructure investment required, it would be better to invest in a subway instead

My proposal allows for large-scale development - at least significantly larger than the traditional DRL alignment.

No it doesn't. Development at Thorncliffe Park is supposedly the best part about your plan that makes it a huge game changer over the conventional DRL, and that it will thus translate to more new ridership growth. That is not gonna happen. First of all, this recent article about several rezoning proposals at Don Mills & Eglinton demonstrate just how protective the city is of its employment lands:

Six major rezoning requests have been filed with the City by owners looking to rezone lots totalling 132.6 hectares near Don Mills Road. Re-zoning these lands to mixed use would allow new developments including condo towers, offices and retail spaces. All six requests were denied.

Celestica Inc. is one of the applicants in Don Mills. The company is seeking to convert its property, at 844 Don Mills Road, a former factory and office complex for IBM, to a mixed-use complex. The initial proposal detailed a plan to build eight new condo towers which would include 2,897 condo units. The city refused the application for an Official Plan Amendment; the company is appealing to the Ontario Municipal Board.

Many redevelopment proposals apply to sites which are currently industrial, which the City Toronto has been battling for years to retain for workplaces. “Jobs make better use of transit than residences as a land use,” Day says. “People who live along the corridor need a chance to work along the corridor as well, so it’s important to maintain the employment uses.”

Even at a prime location like Don Mills and Eglinton where there is strong desire to increase density, projecting jobs remain a higher priority. Meanwhile there's a highly dense, compact community of 15,000 people and high unemployment, but what you want to do is put your station in a remote location, gerrymander existing bus routes toward new side streets to access that station, and raze the entire business park so that you can create a new community instead of serving the one that exists today. But at the same time you oppose Gerrard station that would get more usage, because "oh look there's a tower proposal at Oak St".

You're also under the impression that Thorncliffe Park has mediocre development potential with the conventional DRL. Except that's also wrong. It's already among the densest neighbourhoods in Canada to begin with, but here are some of the possible development sites that don't involve tearing down office buildings (unless it's to make way for bigger ones):

16084923288_afdc29dec7_c.jpg

The main entrance of the station will likely be built in front of East York Town Centre, which is the main shopping hub of this neighbourhood. No resident faces more than a 10 minute walk to either the mall or the station, but this could be further enhanced by expanding the existing network of pedestrian paths in and around Burgess Park. Parking lots at the mall are available for Park and Ride commuters, but can eventually be moved underground and redeveloped. Existing TTC bus routes are already quite efficient to begin with, and do not have to be rerouted elsewhere to connect with the subway.

Your plan also ignores Flemingdon Park, where there could have been further opportunities for development. I haven't even highlighted some of the lowrise townhomes in the area.

16270906241_67de71c3c8_c.jpg

I think it can be well argued that my Don Line proposal:
1. relieves Yonge more than the conventional DRL
2. has greater potential for large-scale, high-density development than the conventional DRL
3. consequently has greater potential for new ridership growth than the conventional DRL
4. provides a faster/shorter trip than the conventional DRL
5. costs at least two billion dollars less than the conventional DRL

And to conclude:
1. If that were the case, I'm not seeing evidence of that in any new and old studies so far
2. Fail. Your idea of development goes against the Official Plan and will not be approved
3. You avoided many communities, you avoided important links to the RER network, you have fewer stations at the worst locations which rely on residential development that is out of touch with the city's best interests
4. Only because there's less stations, as if that was a good thing. Your line puts far more people at a disadvantage than those that benefit, so maybe it's times to stop using that misleading argument
5. And that's the only reason why you are still pushing this inferior transit plan

Last edited:
There appears to be a high number of transfers from GO Transit’s Lakeshore East and Richmond Hill services at Gerrard/Pape and Bayview/River stations. However, there is an additional reduction in passenger alightings from GO Rail services at Union Station due to the western leg. Specifically, there appears to be a high number of transfers at Dundas West, Roncesvalles and Queen/Dufferin stations from GO Transit’s Georgetown, Lakeshore West and Milton services respectively. Overall there are 10,000 less passengers alighting from GO Rail services at Union Station with both the eastern and western legs of the DRL, representing a 15% reduction in passenger activity at Union Station. Significantly relieving Union Station demands is an added benefit of this DRL option.

A little off topic, but we often fail to account for the relief that the Relief Line provides to Union Station. This will be critical in the next few years as GO RER and SmartTrack come online. I suppose SmartTrack, which is incorrectly viewed as a replacement for the Relief Line, may inadvertently make a stronger case for building the RL.

Interesting argument. Actually, that's completely valid, which I will now apply to Oak station. Queen/Broadview works out to be a 7 minute walk from Queen/River, which is perfectly acceptable. Here's what that looks like:

However most people are willing to walk longer than that. Planners typically use 10 minutes as the catchment area, as they did with the Dufferin LRT station for example. So lets see what 10 minutes looks like:

Regarding Broadview and Queen, most people don't live directly at Broadview and Queen, so their walk is substantially longer than 7-10 minutes. Further, forcing people to walk across a bridge over a river in subzero conditions in winter in order to reach a subway stop is not desired.

Regarding Broadview and Queen, most people don't live directly at Broadview and Queen, so their walk is substantially longer than 7-10 minutes. Further, forcing people to walk across a bridge over a river in subzero conditions in winter in order to reach a subway stop is not desired.

I agree with you, however 44 North decided to use that argument. I used it against him accordingly.

However most people are willing to walk longer than that. Planners typically use 10 minutes as the catchment area, as they did with the Dufferin LRT station for example. So lets see how far 10 minutes can get you:

I love all the images that you use in your posts, it helps illustrate your points. But I take issue with this image, You'll notice that the circle stretches north of Gerard and south of what would be Front. If you were to plop down that same circle a few kilometers west, you would have a single station with a catchment area that included Union, King, St. Andrew, Queen, Osgoode, Queen's Park, College, Dundas, and St. Patrick, and maybe even graze Wellesley, effectively the entire downtown loop.

I think when it comes to station placement, it should primarily be a function of expected usage. Additional stations are merited where there is high density and/or transfer traffic, and longer gaps (in excess even of a kilometer) can be reasonable if there is little traffic expected, given the high capital and operating costs of stations.

It's good that you point this out. Far too many people think that the DRL solely exists to relieve Bloor/Yonge station, when it performs many other functions, including the relief of Union Station necessary from going to an RER system.

Back