My general sense is that there's support at Metrolinx for a DRL, especially since it feels like they're going to concede on the Eglinton Crosstown for LRT. A DRL is very important for the overall success of the regional network, so there's no reason why MX won't be on board if the City pushes for it. And the city's backing was precisely what was lacking before. And now that it's there, there's no reason why MX should deny what may be the most financially feasible (if not profitable) line in the entire RTP.

Is that true? Is the eglinton crosstown really likely to be scrapped? That would suck as that route is needed also...

Is that true? Is the eglinton crosstown really likely to be scrapped? That would suck as that route is needed also...
I don't think that's what it said. I thought it said that Metrolinx were going to concede that Eglinton be built as an LRT, rather than as a subway or using Skytrain technology.

Council wants the DRL fast tack and put into Metrolinx 15 year plan.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...g-fast-tracking-the-downtown-relief-line.aspx

The cost to do Core to Coxwell to Eglinton is $2.3B

It shows what a few ppl can do before TTC commissioners and I was one of them.

I prefer to see the line go to Jane and Bloor, It would tie in the Jane line and part of my U that I saw before Transit City came along.

It shows some of the old thinking within TTC is getting push off to the side.

The Jane line might be in a tunnel in the south section... what about continuing north as subway instead of light rail tunnel?

Agreed. Front Street is easier to build and is at the heart of where substantial present and future Toronto development is occurring.

The Eglinton Crosstown makes perfect sense as LRT if a DRL subway is built, especially if it continues north to Eglinton. The two can complement each other very well.

A better name for the Downtown Relief Line could be the Downtown Loop Line, nicknamed The Loop.
Boo! It's been done - too Chicago. South Crosstown (South Cross) is pretty good but it's a big generic and sounds like it's right out of London. I like Grand Trunk because it's historically significant to Toronto (and Montreal) plus the name reflects the importance of the DRL.

I'm thinking a Wellington alignment makes a lot of sense. It would avoid building a new station under Union, instead building two smaller stations at Yonge and University. The new stations would be right in the middle of King, Union, and St. Andrew so it would disperse the crowds somewhat and offer multiple transfer points. Essentially all five stations could be turned into a single massive hub.

This news is extremely welcoming and I'm glad the TTC is opening its eyes and actually trying to alleviate some of the pressures on the Yonge Line and the E-W streetcar routes. There's one thing that I did find a bit concerning, and that's the two Councillors who withheld their endorsements:

There were two holdouts in endorsing Toronto's approval of the Yonge Subway extension yesterday with many conditions attached: councillor Joe Mihevc (St. Paul's) a proponent of light rail, and Norm Kelly (Scarborough Agincourt), a member of the Metrolinx board.

He said council's request to move up the downtown relief line to take the pressure off the Yonge line is pointless because Metrolinx has already studied and weighed its $50-billion worth of transit projects.

"The door is closed," he said.
from the National Post article here.

I'm not so sure "the door is closed", but if this is coming from the Councillor on the Metrolinx Board, then there may be some resistance. I believe Norm Kelly is also the Councillor for the area east of Vic. Park where the Sheppard LRT is getting steamrolled through.

I think Mihevc's opposition is purely optics. As a MX Board member, you do not want to be seen voting against a document you just voted to approve a month ago and would taint the process once the City does request the Board to review the decision. I don't think Metrolinx will stand in the way if this is what the city wants.

I'm thinking a Wellington alignment makes a lot of sense. It would avoid building a new station under Union, instead building two smaller stations at Yonge and University. The new stations would be right in the middle of King, Union, and St. Andrew so it would disperse the crowds somewhat and offer multiple transfer points. Essentially all five stations could be turned into a single massive hub.

It might make more sense to build a single station at Wellington/Bay, which could be connected underground to Union, as well as possibly St.Andrew and King.

That might work, but the transfers would be long, and nearly the entire ridership of the line would be trying to exit from the same platform in the morning rush hour - not pretty. Another station in the University-Simcoe area would serve the convention centre and the new developments around Simcoe Place better, as well as SkyDome.

Running under Wellington would be less disruptive to the existing lines and stations, and it's in just the right place to serve the financial centre as well as Union, Air Canada Centre, etc. In some ways it's a very strong option.

This is amazing news. I had no idea the relief line was all that serious but I am quite happy to hear this. The Queen & King street cars are unbearable right now, with overcrowding, as is the Yonge subway. We downtowners definitely need some RELIEF!

I'm a bit suspicious of this. It goes without saying that this is good news, but I don't really know if Council's heart is in the right place. I'm not sure if they are proposing this because there is really a strong support for the DRL (which their ought to be) or if they are simply doing it to scuttle the Yonge extension.

City Council can be very passive aggressive sometimes. If their ridiculous 5 billion dollar list of 'conditions' for the Yonge extension haven't phased the province, then maybe they are just doing this to add another two-three billion. They could easily prioritize this over, say, the Jane, Sheppard & Scarborough LRTs instead of the Yonge extension. It could be argued that those three LRTs are less beneficial than the extension, and the costs are pretty much the same. Considering most of the RHC ext. is being funded by YR & the Province, while a good chunk of TC is municipal, shouldn't Council walk the walk?

EDIT: Nonetheless, Kudos to Darkstar416.

Last edited:
This is fantastic news, thanks to everyone who made an effort to get this on the agenda.

From Urban Toronto's perspective let's thank Darkstar416 for his effort in setting up the DRL facebook page.

The whole idea is that the DRL would eliminate the need for very expensive capacity expansions that would be required before the Yonge line could be extended to Richmond Hill. It only makes sense that the DRL should be built first.

I'm a bit suspicious of this. It goes without saying that this is good news, but I don't really know if Council's heart is in the right place. I'm not sure if they are proposing this because there is really a strong support for the DRL (which their ought to be) or if they are simply doing it to scuttle the Yonge extension.

City Council can be very passive aggressive sometimes. If their ridiculous 5 billion dollar list of 'conditions' for the Yonge extension haven't phased the province, then maybe they are just doing this to add another two-three billion. They could easily prioritize this over, say, the Jane, Sheppard & Scarborough LRTs instead of the Yonge extension. It could be argued that those three LRTs are less beneficial than the extension, and the costs are pretty much the same. Considering most of the RHC ext. is being funded by YR & the Province, while a good chunk of TC is municipal, shouldn't Council walk the walk?

Don't forget that reason the DRL was proposed in the first place - in the current incarnation - was so the Yonge extension could be built! Not to scuttle it.

The point is we need so much in the way of Yonge line capacity improvements that the money is better spent building the eastern section of the DRL now (instead of down the road) as to:
1) Make some/all of the capacity improvements not necessary
2) More importantly ... not to make the capacity improvements that are planed to be built today a complete waste of money once the DRL is finally built. Some stats were floated around that after the DRL the ridership at Bloor even after all the extensions are complete would be less then it is today.

Back