There is no way the entire RL will be built or even funded "within the next 15 years", along with several of these other transit lines. But nice map though!
That map only has City Hall to Pape in the 15-year plan. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

Hang on, we're talking about Toronto here.
Oh, I agree. I remember them talking up the Downtown Relief line when I was in University - and I hope to retire in about 15 years.

But now it's been whittled down to a 5.5 km stubway with only a handful of stops - it's not unreasonable. Unlikely based on past history, but not impossible.

There is no way the entire RL will be built or even funded "within the next 15 years", along with several of these other transit lines. But nice map though!

Yeah. Even if work were to begin on the Relief Line extension today, it wouldn't be completed until a few years after 2031.

Note that last week Keesmaat mentioned that this map was for until 2040. So they don't envision it being too far behind the completion of the Relief Line Short, which should be competed between 2028 and 2031.

So if your job gets relocated to York Region, are you still gonna insist that anything north of Steeles doesn't matter? Are you still gonna oppose transit that would improve commutes to and from those areas?
I'd starting looking for a job and quit. Easier to get jobs in Toronto than elsewhere. Always worked downtown (south of Bloor, mainly south of Queen ) and at this stage of my life there is no way I am ending my career outside of Toronto

I'd starting looking for a job and quit. Easier to get jobs in Toronto than elsewhere. Always worked downtown (south of Bloor, mainly south of Queen ) and at this stage of my life there is no way I am ending my career outside of Toronto

Interesting how industries seem to limit people's choices of where to work. In many industries it seems most jobs are downtown, yet I've met many who live downtown who's dream it is to work downtown who apparently can only find work out in Scarborough or Markham and have long commutes out the the suburbs.

I always said those Relief Line Alliance folks were optimistic. We were never going to get a full relief line. I would posit that this is unlikely even if Smart Track fails. They'll just direct the extra spending at the suburban LRTs.

I always said those Relief Line Alliance folks were optimistic. We were never going to get a full relief line. I would posit that this is unlikely even if Smart Track fails. They'll just direct the extra spending at the suburban LRTs.

Mother is the necessity of all invention - they won't have much of a choice at this rate.

AoD

Last edited:
Disappointing that we're not talking about building a line from Spadina-Queen to Don Mills-Eglinton as the Phase One within the 15-year plan.

In case any of you are still wondering why Queen Street emerged as the preferred alignment:

Creates Dynamic Multi-Modal Hub in the Core
Opportunity to create interchange station in the psychological centre of the city (Nathan Phillips Square at City Hall)
Supported with strong pedestrian connections to Queen and Osgoode Stations on Line 1 and to the Financial District via PATH network

Fills Rapid Transit Void in the Core

Improves rapid transit connections to northerly areas of the core (between Union Station and Yonge-Bloor Station)
Recognizes That Downtown is Not Just 9-5 Provides alternative route for people to access jobs in the Financial District
Best for full array of daily travel needs and destinations, such as universities, hospitals and public institutions

Spreads Out Pedestrians
Does not add more pedestrian congestion to Union Station area
Supports more options for people to access jobs throughout the downtown

Performs Well with Other Transit Initiatives

Complements SmartTrack / GO RER connections into Union Station
Complements planned transit priority corridor along King Street
Connects to #6 Bay bus and bus lanes for onward connections north and south
Bike Station under Nathan Phillips Square to open soon

Supports Social Equity
Closest to Regent Park Neighbourhood Improvement Area (5 minute walk)
Closest to Moss Park at Queen & Sherbourne

Lowest Projected Cost
Avoids costly soil stabilization needs for crossing
Don River south of Queen Requires a shorter crossing of the Don River

Yey! Looks like sanity prevailed.

In case any of you are still wondering why Queen Street emerged as the preferred alignment:

Creates Dynamic Multi-Modal Hub in the Core

Fills Rapid Transit Void in the Core

Spreads Out Pedestrians

Performs Well with Other Transit Initiatives

Supports Social Equity

Lowest Projected Cost

Yey! Looks like sanity prevailed.

And before the planners came to that conclusion, they considered every possible alternative alignment that I could think of. I don't think any good options were overlooked.

Screen shot 2016-02-16 at 5.44.26 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-16 at 5.44.26 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-16 at 5.44.26 PM.png
    715.6 KB · Views: 461
Okay I'm just noticing now we have the report. Is anyone else pissed that the Relief Line isn't red? Their chosen colour? Pink! And it looks like Finch West will be red. Unbelievable. Maybe it's my OCD, but IMO there's no doubt in my mind that the Relief Line has to be red.

City-15yr-transit-fantasy.jpg

Attachments

• City-15yr-transit-fantasy.jpg
    City-15yr-transit-fantasy.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 763

Back