Okay I'm just noticing now we have the report. Is anyone else pissed that the Relief Line isn't red? Their chosen colour? Pink! And it looks like Finch West will be red. Unbelievable. Maybe it's my OCD, but IMO there's no doubt in my mind that the Relief Line has to be red.

Just be thankful it's a City graphic. If this were a Metrolinx plan, they would have hired an expensive consultant to come up with designer colours, all with stupid names. That's Midtown Magenta, not pink.

- Paul

King alignment had higher ridership. Queen was chosen because of better passenger distribution. Likely meaning less pressure on Union Station.

King alignment had higher ridership. Queen was chosen because of better passenger distribution. Likely meaning less pressure on Union Station.
I think Queen was chosen because it seems cheap. I looked at the evaluation table and honestly can't seen how it came out ahead. Well, it will certainly promote walking, as it won't be near most people's destination, and it will make transferring to line 1 onerous.

Last edited:
As expected, Nathan Phillips Station will be on the northeast corner of Bay/Queen, with pedestrian tunnels connecting to Yonge and University
Northeast? Under Old City Hall? Though might be easier with the underground parking lot in the northwest corner.

Though big question is where do the almost 200-metre long platforms sit - keeping in mind it's only 600 metres from University to Yonge.

Okay I'm just noticing now we have the report. Is anyone else pissed that the Relief Line isn't red? Their chosen colour? Pink! And it looks like Finch West will be red. Unbelievable. Maybe it's my OCD, but IMO there's no doubt in my mind that the Relief Line has to be red.

I'm more disappointed that the Eglinton-Crosstown isn't blue. Red is the default colour for all surface routes, so it makes more sense that they wouldn't duplicate it on TTC maps.

Yeah, but remember also as the City states, King is more for solely the 9-to-5 business crowd meanwhile Queen has 24/7 ridership appeal. Anyone whom happens to be around King and Bay at 8:00 pm knows this. It's a dead zone.

People visit the Eaton Centre and Nathan Philips Square at all hours.

Yeah, but remember also as the City states, King is more for solely the 9-to-5 business crowd meanwhile Queen has 24/7 ridership appeal. Anyone whom happens to be around King and Bay at 8:00 pm knows this. It's a dead zone.

People visit the Eaton Centre and Nathan Philips Square at all hours.

The King alignment also has higher daily ridership.

My understanding is that the reason Queen was selected was to avoid pedestrian capacity issues at King. AM rush hour pedestrian traffic in the Union Station area is already madness. RER will double the pedestrian traffic. We don't need the Relief Line there to compound the issues. Pedestrian traffic needs to be distributed, which the Queen alignment does successfully.

Another benefit of the Queen route is that King can still be converted to a streetcar transitway relatively easily. Both will be well used. Add in RER on the GO lines and you have a reasonably complete transit system for the downtown core.

And here we have the ridership projections

http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/City Managers Office/Intergovernmental Relations/Files/PDF/SmartTrack Ridership Forecast With Relief Line.pdf

The findings in this Summary Report make clear the importance of the Relief Line. It is apparent that both the Relief Line and SmartTrack will be required in the future to ensure the efficient operation of the existing and proposed future transit networks. Additional work is required to assess the potential benefits of extending the proposed Relief Line north of the Bloor-Danforth subway to Eglinton Avenue and potentially to Sheppard Avenue.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    368 KB · Views: 500
  • 3.png
    3.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 474
  • 4.png
    4.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 492
  • 5.png
    5.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 472
  • 2.png
    2.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
New Relief Line report plainly says that the planned Relief Line cannot address Yonge crowding:

"Combined, the two lines further reduce these transfers by up to 53%. Thus, both lines individually and in combination have the potential to greatly reduce the problem of crowding from transfers at Bloor station. As discussed above, Yonge line crowding still generally remains a concern, however, due to the heavy volumes boarding the line from the north. The little-J RL options cannot address this problem directly"

Little J = Relief Line Short (to Danforth)

Back