There are a number of ways to increase Union Station's capacity, one of which is to stop terminating trains there by interlining once service goes two-way all-day. "SmartTrack" for example turns the Kitchener and Stouffville lines into just one line, so no more shutting down for half an hour for them. There are other approaches that should also be investigated. We published a couple of stories detailing some of them a couple of years ago, here, and here.

So that $150 million...

Cj5umZVVAAInY0i.jpg

Courtesy of
Jessica Smith Cross

So that's what the $150 Million is for. My excitement has suddenly ramped up fivefold.

The chief planner posted this on twitter earlier today.

Cj3wCxfW0AAu7mP.jpg_large.jpg

Attachments

• Cj3wCxfW0AAu7mP.jpg_large.jpg
    Cj3wCxfW0AAu7mP.jpg_large.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 814
give me a break? Metrolinx trying to take over a subway line as the first step in taking over the TTC( This cannot happen
They are the ones putting up money, they best sure be involved. How much money has Toronto put up...

So that's what the $150 Million is for. My excitement has suddenly ramped up fivefold.

(Going out on a limb, and trusting this wasn't sarcasm)

The good news in the announcement is that it legitimises the DRL in the public eye. I think this muzzles the opposition, rather than the K/B faction. Looking at how the media is playing it, no one is likely to say "We don't need this". I wonder if it's actually meant to muzzle Tory - or paint him into a corner, maybe around ST?

The risk is that ML will want things their way, and not play nice with the City.

I don't think this is QP playing generous. Kind of like someone reaching for the cheque in a restaurant, knowing that the person they are with will then say, "No, I'll get it". When it comes time to drop the serious coin on this project, QP will point out that they already ponied up their share.

- Paul

They are the ones putting up money, they best sure be involved. How much money has Toronto put up...

Certainly zilch relative to the city wide tax for SSE extension.

The good news in the announcement is that it legitimises the DRL in the public eye. I think this muzzles the opposition, rather than the K/B faction. Looking at how the media is playing it, no one is likely to say "We don't need this". I wonder if it's actually meant to muzzle Tory - or paint him into a corner, maybe around ST?

The risk is that ML will want things their way, and not play nice with the City.

I don't think this is QP playing generous. Kind of like someone reaching for the cheque in a restaurant, knowing that the person they are with will then say, "No, I'll get it". When it comes time to drop the serious coin on this project, QP will point out that they already ponied up their share.

- Paul

QP will have to do more to be convince me than drop $150M for planning - it is in and on itself great, but let's not forget they actually banked money in a trust to fund Spadina extension. This isn't all that great a commitment in that context.

AoD

The DRL and the Yonge extension are both part of the Big Move Next Wave projects that the province announced in November 2012 (along with the Hurontario and Hamilton LRTs, various GO projects, and BRT in Brampton and Durham-Scarborough). They've since announced full funding for both the LRT projects. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be a significant investment in both the subway projects as well.

QP will have to do more to be convince me than drop $150M for planning - it is in and on itself great, but let's not forget they actually banked money in a trust to fund Spadina extension. This isn't all that great a commitment in that context.

AoD

But guys, I'm sure we can place much more hope in funding from the feds this time round, no? I mean, we got $850 million for SOGR...

The comments about the funding going to plan the western leg is also interesting. If we know DRL is coming, and is routed up the rail corridor, do we need ST to Mount Dennis? This may also be an opportunity to shut down ST.

- Paul

But guys, I'm sure we can place much more hope in funding from the feds this time round, no? I mean, we got $850 million for SOGR...

I am old enough to temper hope with show me the money, particularly on the transit file.

The comments about the funding going to plan the western leg is also interesting. If we know DRL is coming, and is routed up the rail corridor, do we need ST to Mount Dennis? This may also be an opportunity to shut down ST.

- Paul

Just what is ST anyways? It's been whittled down to basically RER, and that we need regardless.

AoD

Getting to "shovel ready" is an important milestone if new federal spending happens. So yes, this is fundamentally a constructive step.....if.....ML and the City can agree on it all.

- Paul

I wouldn't put it past Tory to muzzle Byford/Keesmaat and stop-work on everything the City/TTC has worked so hard on. Perhaps he'll hand the keys to Mlinx, dust his hands, and make it 100% their baby.

This is almost a certainty. Toronto doesn't have money to contribute to a DRL without substantially raising taxes and even Miller was loath to raise taxes to a level where we could tackle large projects.

The province and feds will pay for it, the province will maintain ownership (and future non-trivial maintenance bills!), and TTC may (or may not) be contracted to operate it.

- Paul
Tory is looking like a right fool for being stubborn on Relief Line vs. SmartTrack

The media has been exceptionally supportive of the Relief Line since the new year. I think this project is really at the forefront of public conscious today.

Back