Whoever said that is misinformed. Like the SSE, funding will be provided by the Province of Ontario and Metrolinx, but TTC and City Planning will be leading the project. This won't be like Crosstown, where Metrolinx is leading.

Yeah I'm sure Del Duca the Minister providing the money is misinformed.

Spoke with TTC staff at today's meeting about why Osgoode Sation is on east side of university rather than the west. They said that building footings for the office building on the northwest side come out to far too allow for the TTC standard 20 meter station box and building code requirements to fit into ROW. This is not permenant however and as the design moves forward they may be able to seek a variance to allow for the a more narrow station on the west side.

It should be noted that a West side station was the preferred option but that at this stage of design they did not yet conduct design analysis to the degree that they could justify the rational in request to allow for this variance. It is my impression that this is the direction that will be moving towards in the further design stages once they have the analytical data to support their variance request.

With respect to a connection to the proposed Bathurst Yard Satellite station. The TTC was in communication with Mteolinx about whether they would be adding a Bathurst Yard station and Metrolinx responded that they have no intention of doing so right now. As such the TTC no longer needed to connect the Relief Line with this now non-starter hub.

If Metrolinx had given indication that they would have built this station then yes, TTC would have routed the DRL to this hub.

TLDR, Bathurst North Station is not happening so DRL doesn't need to connect to it and can stay on Queen.

And who told you the City of Toronto will be owning and operating this line?

I don't know why you're getting so hung up over this. Everything leading up to this has been lead by the City of Toronto in consultation with parter agencies, including TTC and Meteolinx. See http://reliefline.ca/the-project/the-process

If you've been to the public meetings, you'll see that the staff there are TTC, City of Toronto staff with some staff from contacted firms. It's quite a stretch to say that this has been lead by Metrolinx, when they seemingly haven't done any major work since the YRNS release last July. If you ask Metrolinx for more information about the RL planing process, they send you straight back to the City.

Could that change in the future? Absolutely. It did change for the Crosstown. But the province hasn't indicated any desire to take over this file.

Ultimately though, this really doesn't matter. I don't understand why some people get hung up over these things.

With respect to a connection to the proposed Bathurst Yard Satellite station. The TTC was in communication with Mteolinx about whether they would be adding a Bathurst Yard station and Metrolinx responded that they have no intention of doing so right now. As such the TTC no longer needed to connect the Relief Line with this now non-starter hub.

If Metrolinx had given indication that they would have built this station then yes, TTC would have routed the DRL to this hub.

TLDR, Bathurst North Station is not happening so DRL doesn't need to connect to it and can stay on Queen.

Unfortunate. Isn't Union GO projected to be over capacity sometime within 20 years? Bathurst is something that should be moved forward on now to deal with that.

That said, I'm happy that this line won't have to be be routed down to Bathurst North. I've never agreed with diverting the line to facilitate connection with GO lines, which could be a detriment to RL ridership potential. A connection at Dufferin wouldn't negatively impact RL ridership.

Last edited:
Spoke with TTC staff at today's meeting about why Osgoode Sation is on east side of university rather than the west. They said that building footings for the office building on the northwest side come out to far too allow for the TTC standard 20 meter station box and building code requirements to fit into ROW. This is not permenant however and as the design moves forward they may be able to seek a variance to allow for the a more narrow station on the west side.

It should be noted that a West side station was the preferred option but that at this stage of design they did not yet conduct design analysis to the degree that they could justify the rational in request to allow for this variance. It is my impression that this is the direction that will be moving towards in the further design staves once they have the analytical data to support their variance request.

Any word on why City Planning now wants a station on University? Last time I talked to them, I was told that budgetary issues were the reason University wasn't included, and also why one of the stations were dropped from the eastern alignment.

It's not happening right away so we're going to cripple it by not taking it into account. That's short sighted and probably the stupidest reasoning I've ever heard.

It's not happening right away so we're going to cripple it by not taking it into account. That's short sighted and probably the stupidest reasoning I've ever heard.

There are still other connection opportunities, including the Waterfront LRT, Duferin/Queen GO and a downtown RER tunnel. I don't see much point in diverting the Relief Line for a GO station proposal that is quite vague at this point.

TTC staff said they would have probably diverted to it if metrolinx had given indication they would be building it. If this a case of metrolinx not being forward about their plans to build further into the future, the the fault lies with them in this miscommunication.

Also note that there is still a possibility that future discussion could change that. I'm just reporting what I heard and the situation right now.

Any word on why City Planning now wants a station on University? Last time I talked to them, I was told that budgetary issues were the reason University wasn't included, and also why one of the stations were dropped from the eastern alignment.

My undertanding from staff comments during the meeting session was that comments from the public were negative to a single stop idea and that they could achieve better connection and ridership with the dual stop model.

TTC staff said they would have probably diverted to it if metrolinx had given indication they would be building it. If this a case of metrolinx not being forward about their plans to build further into the future, the the fault lies with them in this miscommunication.

Also note that there is still a possibility that future discussion could change that. I'm just reporting what I heard and the situation right now.

I would like to see demand models before they make these decisions. GO RER lines are relatively low ridership compared to TTC subways, so it likely wouldn't make sense to divert the Relief Line to connect to GO lines that have potentially lower usage.

I don't know why you're getting so hung up over this. Everything leading up to this has been lead by the City of Toronto in consultation with parter agencies, including TTC and Meteolinx. See http://reliefline.ca/the-project/the-process

If you've been to the public meetings, you'll see that the staff there are TTC, City of Toronto staff with some staff from contacted firms. It's quite a stretch to say that this has been lead by Metrolinx, when they seemingly haven't done any major work since the YRNS release last July. If you ask Metrolinx for more information about the RL planing process, they send you straight back to the City.

Could that change in the future? Absolutely. It did change for the Crosstown. But the province hasn't indicated any desire to take over this file.

Ultimately though, this really doesn't matter. I don't understand why some people get hung up over these things.

I agree, Tiger. Seriously, someone take the reins and drive.

Possible motto: Either lead, follow or get the hell out of my way.

Back