I'll put my money on Scotiabank Square first, given everything they've taken over the naming rights for (and domination of), from movie theatres, to Nuit Blanche to now Caribana.

-ScotiabankTrans

Naming a station Mississauga Centre as the main descriptor is contrived to say the least. A subheading is more appropo (e.g. Bay-Yorkville).

To append CC's list from Cawthra onwards I'd recommend: Cooksville, Burnhamthrope, Square One. The City Centre would need at least two stations, one directly on Hurontario at Burnhamthrope and the other Rathburn/Duke of York Blvd.

Scotiabankhatru thinks it'd be humorous if all the subway lines end at "centres."

Scotiabankhatru would also like to reiterate that there really aren't any options here that need debating...this is a proposal for a subway line from Dundas West to Union to Pape, and possibly replacing Transfer City lines beyond these points.

ScotiabankTrans would like to thank Scotiabankhatru for reminding everyone to get back on topic of the Scotiabank Downtown Relief Line here at the Scotiabank Toronto Forum.

Now, if we did call the proposal the Scotiabank DRL, could we instantly get more support? At least the line's colour is Scotiabank Red.

After all, we should be prosperous to afford a much needed subway line - Toronto's Richer Than It Thinks.TM

Scotiabankhatru thinks it'd be humerous if all the subway lines end at "centres."

Very true - we're getting Vaughan Corporate Centre (really, Ikea and Wal-Mart and a mega-interchange), and a much-advocated Scarborough Centre Station, and a Richmond Hill Centre Station, why not a Mississauga Centre Station, then? But if we got a DRL, it would change the whole thing we got going.

Scotiabank Cognoscente likes the idea of every subway line ending at a Centre. MCC, VCC, RHC, STC. Seems logical to me.

Maybe I should make cute little labels for all the Scotiabank DRL stations? If someone would be so kind to write down the stations the DRL would be hitting? And then kindly make the labels themselves? :p

SCOTIABATE54 thinks corporations already have too much say in the branding of public buildings/infrastructure (Skydome now Rogers Centre, Hummingbird Centre now Sony Centre) to allow infiltration to the extent of permanently tattooing a company's name onto station walls :rolleyes:!!

The problem with naming by monument over intersection, it creates more confusion for commuters since most directions are given by address and not by major destination(s) nearby.

Still, I don't see the Square One name going anywhere anytime soon. It would be like Yorkdale changing its name. Or Eaton Centre changing its name.

I agree that it should be called Mississauga Centre. Don Mills is not Fairview, Dundas is not Eaton Centre, and King is not Scotiabank - CIBC because the naming of stations is for streets first, neighbourhoods second, and if overlap still exists then landmarks are used and I seriously hope it stays that way. I think "North York Centre" and "Scarborough Centre" are the precedents that should be followed.

I seriously hope the current Vaughan subway station names don't stick either. "Vaughan Corporate Centre" is too long and Vaughan Centre sounds like a better name. "Highway 407 Transitway" is also too long a name and naming a station after an intersecting transit route doesn't seem right. I would suggest "Vaughan 407" or "Jane 407" or something similar.

I had the wrong address for our Facebook Advocacy Group in my first post on this thread. It's since been fixed, but if anyone's confused, just click this...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10757265438

BTW, for now we are going to use the following logo for our group. We may change it in the future, but I think it works well at this stage in the game. If anyone wants to propose others, we'd still be happy to consider.

drllogoblack.jpg

We have 239 members on the group and are waiting a reply from another 389 so our numbers are pretty decent for only being active for five days. Please keep spreading the word people!

^ I just signed up at Facebook for the first time ever, just for this occasion :)!

I agree that it should be called Mississauga Centre. Don Mills is not Fairview, Dundas is not Eaton Centre, and King is not Scotiabank - CIBC because the naming of stations is for streets first, neighbourhoods second, and if overlap still exists then landmarks are used and I seriously hope it stays that way. I think "North York Centre" and "Scarborough Centre" are the precedents that should be followed.

I seriously hope the current Vaughan subway station names don't stick either. "Vaughan Corporate Centre" is too long and Vaughan Centre sounds like a better name. "Highway 407 Transitway" is also too long a name and naming a station after an intersecting transit route doesn't seem right. I would suggest "Vaughan 407" or "Jane 407" or something similar.

Lol! I think Don Mills could be renamed to Fairview actually since the area surrounded the mall has adopted the name as well (Fairview public library, Fairview Mall Dr). Eaton Centre's applicable to more than one subway. In fact with two entrances, Queen Stn. has a greater case for being Eaton Ctr. Stn. NYC should have been Empress but this one isn't terribly bad.

None of the new Vaughan stops sound right agreed. The 407 could be named Beechwood after a local landmark. VCC as a descriptor should be Highway 7/Seven Stn. (likewise Richmond Hill Centre could double as Langstaff Stn.).

^ I just signed up at Facebook for the first time ever, just for this occasion :)!
PM me your name and I'll make you an officer.

Lol! I think Don Mills could be renamed to Fairview actually since the area surrounded the mall has adopted the name as well (Fairview public library, Fairview Mall Dr). Eaton Centre's applicable to more than one subway. In fact with two entrances, Queen Stn. has a greater case for being Eaton Ctr. Stn. NYC should have been Empress but this one isn't terribly bad.
I agree that station should have been named Fairview. Not only for the reasons you stated, but also because the heart of Don Mills is more like Don Mills & Lawrence (not Sheppard) and a future DRL stop should have the Don Mills moniker instead.

Back