Interesting as Sheppard is still left as 'Sheppard East extension' instead of a 'Sheppard East LRT'- are we going to see a subway extension there?

I think this also dovetails perfectly into Doug Ford's interest in Ontario Place's redevelopment. What better to make Ontario Place instantly more 'developable' than to have a subway running through it?

Overall, sentiments are in the middle- but the bigger question remains about RER, which I think is still crucial, perhaps more than some of the other ongoing transit projects.

Overall, i'm not disappointed with this plan. The best outcome is we get a DRL, and the other lines all face delays and get canceled by the next government.

The biggest hole in this that I see is the $17 billion in funding that isn't covered of the $28 billion cost.

From what Yurek said, it seems like it's going to possibly be a light rail based system. This doesn't make sense for the DRL.

When asked about the fiscal prudence of the SSE, he said 'Scarborough deserves subways'. Overbuilding capacity where it's not needed and under-building where it is entirely due to politics.

If I recall, the LIberals had announced a $30 billion expansion plan - I'm not sure this is the biggest, as they claim.

Of course it's about optics - farbeit from me to argue there's nothing political about all this.

But to be fair: a subway to Ontario Place - an under served site with massive potential - is not a subway to Pickering.

There are two ways to look at Ontario Place..... a great site to be sold off for luxury condos (in which case, the land value just jumped) or a publicly owned jewel to be developed in some other form (in which case the transit ought to be further north, probably north of the GO line)

- Paul

Even if we were talking about Ontario Place circa 1985, you could argue the subway isn't crazy; it's quite a hike from the Exhibition Loop.

If they're actually adding year-round uses (don't forget, this is 10 years away, at best), it's not the worst idea. Yes, I share the cynicism about him doing this do some campaign donors can build condos there but, as I said above, if he can actually get this thing built that's really not the dumbest idea.

Interesting as Sheppard is still left as 'Sheppard East extension' instead of a 'Sheppard East LRT'- are we going to see a subway extension there?

I think this also dovetails perfectly into Doug Ford's interest in Ontario Place's redevelopment. What better to make Ontario Place instantly more 'developable' than to have a subway running through it?

Overall, sentiments are in the middle- but the bigger question remains about RER, which I think is still crucial, perhaps more than some of the other ongoing transit projects.
Interesting video- I think this confirms that Ford intends to extend the subway to Scarborough from Sheppard. The combination of the Bloor Extension and the Sheppard extension is interesting- are they combining the lines?

Even if we were talking about Ontario Place circa 1985, you could argue the subway isn't crazy; it's quite a hike from the Exhibition Loop.

If they're actually adding year-round uses (don't forget, this is 10 years away, at best), it's not the worst idea. Yes, I share the cynicism about him doing this do some campaign donors can build condos there but, as I said above, if he can actually get this thing built that's really not the dumbest idea.

I'm actually quite pleased to see the line continuing west of University, that is a big ridership area served. It's the balance of Ontario Place versus the whole Liberty/Exhibition/Parkdale that needs to be thought out, plus the connectivity to the Humber and beyond. A waterfront alignment is a bit troubling. However, a hub at GO Exhibition would make a lot of sense.

A walk from Ontario Place (as we know it today) to the streetcar loop and GO station is not unreasonable, whereas a hike from Liberty Village to the shoreline seems like making the line unmarketable to a lot of potential riders.

- Paul

Higher resolution map.

"The Ontario Line, provincial officials say, will be a "free-standing artery" — independent of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) — in order to boost "current, proven and much less costly" technology.

It will be a light rail line that's mostly underground with the potential for an elevated track along certain portions of the route, like crossing over the Don River. The project is slated to be finished by 2029,or two years earlier, and will include the possibility of driverless trains."

This is absurd. The DRL needs subway capacity, not light rail.

Apparently the same technology that would be treating Scarborough like '2nd class citizens' is good enough for the busiest area of the country.

We constantly hear that building a subway in Scarborough is for the future - why would you not build a fully integrated subway solution where demand is already high?

Depending on the stop location people could also use this line to head to events at the Ex grounds as well.

A walk from Ontario Place (as we know it today) to the streetcar loop and GO station is not unreasonable, whereas a hike from Liberty Village to the shoreline seems like making the line unmarketable to a lot of potential riders.

I think it's pretty unreasonable. Google says it's 1km from the loop to the amphitheatre. And that's excluding the dumb, long walk you need to do to actually get IN to the loop, around the fencing etc.

I'm open to the idea that a subway for Ontario Place is excessive and merely a means for Doug to incentivize unwanted development there.

BUT I don't accept that the current transit connection is "reasonable." It's a big hike across inhospitable parking lots and that's for an able-bodied person.

And yes, as posted above, it also provides an alternate/south access to the CNE. Who knows where the final stations would be but having multiple points to access CNE and BMO Field - these are all good things, potentially.

A reaction from the 905: Nothing in it for us (Interesting that the Hurontario LRT is included on the map).

Also some in municipal government in the 905 expressing concerns that the gas tax allocations may be shifted to divert funds from 905 municipalities to pay for this.

- Paul

A reaction from the 905: Nothing in it for us (Interesting that the Hurontario LRT is included on the map).

Also some in municipal government in the 905 expressing concerns that the gas tax allocations may be shifted to divert funds from 905 municipalities to pay for this.

- Paul

York Region is in 905 and they are very happy with this announcement.

The Yonge-North extension appears to be 2nd in priority now.\

Also in the press conference Ford reiterated that the Hurontario LRT is moving forward.

"The Ontario Line, provincial officials say, will be a "free-standing artery" — independent of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) — in order to boost "current, proven and much less costly" technology.

It will be a light rail line that's mostly underground with the potential for an elevated track along certain portions of the route, like crossing over the Don River. The project is slated to be finished by 2029,or two years earlier, and will include the possibility of driverless trains."

This is absurd. The DRL needs subway capacity, not light rail.

Apparently the same technology that would be treating Scarborough like '2nd class citizens' is good enough for the busiest area of the country.

We constantly hear that building a subway in Scarborough is for the future - why would you not build a fully integrated subway solution where demand is already high?
It doesn't need subway capacity if the terminus is Ontario Place, to be frank.

Crush peaks on this line may be a little bit of a squeeze soon after opening day, which is lamentable. Is it warranted though if it means that the line actually gets built?

Back