It's all very conceptual at this point. They'll be further evaluations of that in the near future.

The SmartTrack ridership forecasts demonstrated that there is significant latent demand for a Central Etobicoke to Downtown rapid transit line, with SmartTack showing peak demand of 11,415 pphpd eastbound into Dundas West Station at 5 minute headways. With SmartTrack now planned to have significantly reduced headways, it would make sense to bring the Relief Line up to Mt. Dennis to pick up some of that demand. Hopefully it gets added to the plan sometime soon.

YLIazyN.png

It would become very easy if the Missing Link gets built. Bam, you could acquire an existing surface ROW from CP. The trick will be navigating it around the GO trench at West Toronto.

It would become very easy if the Missing Link gets built. Bam, you could acquire an existing surface ROW from CP. The trick will be navigating it around the GO trench at West Toronto.

That's a good point, but I don't think the would even be necessary. North of St. Clair, along the Weston rail corridor, there is a significant amount of room where the subway could fit on the surface (with property acquisitions). South of St. Clair it would likely need to be tunnelled.

Way too small. Should be going to eglinton and Dundas west at least.

Guess you can't (cannot) read. This is the first section they want to build. The other extensions would send it up Don Mills to, at least, Eglinton, and/or up to Dundas West.

What should happen, is they should be continuing to build the other parts after the first part is completed. They should not, stop and then start planning. They should be planning for the extensions as they are building.

Wow, a lot of pitchforks out among the Pape NIMBYs at tonight's meeting. I hope it doesn't derail the process.

Wow, a lot of pitchforks out among the Pape NIMBYs at tonight's meeting. I hope it doesn't derail the process.

Love the work the City/TTC have done with the past meetings, and was originally keen on going tonight. But something about the Prov's $150M for themselves to take over the DRL file (and the shoddy closed-door work they've done so far on it) rubbed me the wrong way and made me pessimistic about the whole thing even happening. And was busy.

But what exactly were the "pitchforks" about? The new station at Queen/Pape, or just general issues about construction/development at Danforth, Gerrard, and Queen?

I know they're placeholders at this point, but I like the hyphenated station names.

University-Queen
Yonge-Queen
Queen-Sherbourne
King-Sumach
Eastern-Broadview
Queen-Pape
Gerrard-Pape
Danforth-Pape

Although the fact that the line is partially N-S and partially E-W makes it challenging to be consistent with station naming here.

For the N-S portion, the names make sense to me with the cross-street followed by the street the line is following, therefore Queen-Pape, Gerrard-Pape, Danforth-Pape. The important part of the station name is which cross-street you're passing so it goes first. The second part is important because overall for the line it shows you what street the station is running under.
However for the E-W portion of the line, this isn't always the case.

The portion along Queen does have University-Queen and Yonge-Queen, but then switches to Queen-Sherbourne, King-Sumach and Eastern-Broadview, which in my mind should be reversed and named Sherbourne-Queen, Sumach-King and Broadview-Eastern, putting the cross-street first and the less important info (the street it's running under at that point) second (here, Queen, King and Eastern).

Of course, that's how I would name the stations.

You could also go the other direction and name the street being travelled on first, and then cross-street, the way LA does ("Wilshire/Western", "Wilshire/Vermont", "Wilshire/Normandie"; "Hollywood/Western", "Hollywood/Vine", "Hollywood/Highland").

If we did that then we would end up with:

Queen/University
Queen/Yonge
Queen/Sherbourne
King/Sumach
Eastern/Broadview
Pape/Queen
Pape/Gerrard
Pape/Danforth

Actually I kinda like the LA way...

Love the work the City/TTC have done with the past meetings, and was originally keen on going tonight. But something about the Prov's $150M for themselves to take over the DRL file (and the shoddy closed-door work they've done so far on it) rubbed me the wrong way and made me pessimistic about the whole thing even happening. And was busy.

But what exactly were the "pitchforks" about? The new station at Queen/Pape, or just general issues about construction/development at Danforth, Gerrard, and Queen?

North - the residents of Pape have not been paying attention and don't like the idea of a tunnel under their homes. They are concerned about noise, dust, operation vibration, magnetic fields, construction vibration, words like cut and cover and that Carlaw is a wider ROW that makes more sense to them. The city of Toronto planner who was there was a masterful MC and told them that previous consultations had had extensive support for a Queen and Pape stop. Then she told them that she'd consider leaving out the stop entirely. A lot of ill informed people overall who have not been following developments as closely as they should have and were very taken aback.

Last edited:

A few themes. The most predictable one was the construction impacts and noise along the street. Many were asking to quantify exactly how much noise the new subway was going to give off. Many of the people there mentioned that this was the first time they were hearing that there would be a subway through their neighborhood, with sob stories mentioning that that they would lose their house to expropriation or their property value going down because of the subway (that was probably the stupidest thing I heard there). People were also outraged that the subway would be along Pape, which is very narrow, and not Carlaw or the GO row. Basically, NIMBY.

Edit: Beaten by Bart

A few themes. The most predictable one was the construction impacts and noise along the street. Many were asking to quantify exactly how much noise the new subway was going to give off. Many of the people there mentioned that this was the first time they were hearing that there would be a subway through their neighborhood, with sob stories mentioning that that they would lose their house to expropriation or their property value going down because of the subway (that was probably the stupidest thing I heard there). People were also outraged that the subway would be along Pape, which is very narrow, and not Carlaw or the GO row. Basically, NIMBY.

That summary is less punchy and tongue-in cheek than mine. Tx. Go Reck.

Was there any talk about a train yard?

What are the options?
  1. Build a giant Y at Danforth-Pape
  2. Have a separate tunnel from Pape/Gerrard or Eastren/Broadview to the Greenwood yard - this is 1 or 2 kilometres
  3. There will likely be a cross-over and tail tracks north of Danforth so you are half way to Cosburn already. Continue the tunnel north on Pape to the Don Valley, bridge across the valley, and put the yard near the water treatment plant. A bit more costly, but greatly reduced disruption when phase 2 begins - and the cost is not wasted because that length needs to be built eventually (and the sooner the better).
The other question is whether there are plans to rough-in the DRL station at Eglinton. Has nobody asked this at the open houses?

I do kinda get where they're coming from though. The majority of Pape between Queen and Danforth is non-developable, a very narrow quiet leafy street, nor is it through street. South of Riverdale Ave, Carlaw seems most logical from both a construction and development perspective IMO. If living on Pape, I'd wonder too where things like emergency exits and ventilation shafts would fit. It's not exactly a suburban arterial with a 100m roadway allowance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do kinda get where they're coming from though. The majority of Pape between Queen and Danforth is non-developable, a very narrow quiet leafy street, nor is it through street. South of Riverdale Ave, Carlaw seems most logical from both a construction and development perspective IMO. If living on Pape, I'd wonder too where things like emergency exits and ventilation shafts would fit. It's not exactly a suburban arterial with a 100m roadway allowance.

Its a subway that's underground. Who cares how wide the road is above? And exits and ventilation are easy. Any number of individual houses that could be taken down. How's this?

1280px-Spadina_TTC_85_Spadina_Road.JPG

Attachments

• 1280px-Spadina_TTC_85_Spadina_Road.JPG
    1280px-Spadina_TTC_85_Spadina_Road.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 628

Back