Something to point out during today's meeting is that Metrolinx envisions a western extension of the line on Roncesvalles or Dufferin with somebody else suggesting an extension of the line to Mimico. This can be found at 1:02:04.

I made a few different scenarios of a western/northern extension of the line on Google My Maps. Link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=14H-dpkml_ZV4DkGB1EEgoxpMcw_dy-ng&usp=sharing

Ontario Line North (Don Mills Rd)

View attachment 316065
Stations:
Don Mills (Lawrence Ave)
York Mills East
Sheppard-Don Mills
Van Horne
Finch-Don Mills
Seneca College

Ontario Line West Scenario #1 (Dufferin St)

View attachment 316066
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
King-Dufferin
Queen-Dufferin
Little Portugal
Dufferin Mall
Dufferin
Dupont West
Corso Italia
Rogers
Fairbank
Glencairn West
Lawrence-Dufferin
Yorkdale West
Wilson

Ontario Line West Scenario #2 (Roncesvalles)

View attachment 316067
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
Queensway
Roncesvalles
Dundas West

Ontario Line West Scenario #3 (Jane St)

View attachment 316068
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
Queensway
Windemere
Jane
Annette
St Clair-Dundas
Alliance
Jane-Eglinton
Jane-Lawrence
Wilson West
Exbury
Jane-Sheppard
Yorkwoods
Jane-Finch
Shoreham
Pioneer Village

Ontario Line Scenario #4 (Mimico)

View attachment 316069
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
Queensway
Windemere
Humber Loop
Park Lawn
Mimico

Sorry for such a long response!

Sunnyside beach (the southern park of High Park and the south shore of Grenadier Pond) is a sandbar. No underground because it would be below the level of Lake Ontario. It is mostly landfill, including the railway (originally 2 set of tracks).

sunnside-in-1908_thumb.jpg

From link.

Right, I knew I was missing something from the map!

Scenario #5 (Queensway)

View attachment 316071
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
Sunnyside
Windemere
Humber Loop
Park Lawn
Royal York South
Islington South
Kipling South
Sherway Gardens
I like the Queensway alignment. It would offer better transit to southern Etobicoke and Sherway gardens plus it could be elevated or in the rail corridor making an inexpensive extension.

My preference in the west is Parkside Dr elevated, roughly Howard Park to get back to the rail corridor for a Dundas West interchange, exit the rail corridor for Junction and Stockyards stations on Keele with a terminal at Mount Dennis and light rail on the Queensway and Jane (north of Eglinton and terminating at Mount Dennis by cutting east via either the rail Corridor or West Rd).

In the east I'm really unsure... Alignments that use the Finch hydro corridor to reach Seneca Newham and end at Unionville seem the right overall fit, but I can make good arguments either way for using the Richmond Hill corridor or following Don Mills proper. Similarly, I do see a good case for going NW to Richmond Hill Centre and more or less replacing Richmond Hill GO. Frankly branching doensn't seem unreasonable here. OTOH I also see real appeal to going LRT north of Eglinton and integrating the swing east with a Steeles line.

In a perfect world I'd probably build a Don Mills LRT ASAP and look at an Ontario Line extension more in the context of being a possible approach to getting full service on the Richmond Hill GO corridor and extending that line to Aurora.

My preference in the west is Parkside Dr elevated, roughly Howard Park to get back to the rail corridor for a Dundas West interchange, exit the rail corridor for Junction and Stockyards stations on Keele with a terminal at Mount Dennis and light rail on the Queensway and Jane (north of Eglinton and terminating at Mount Dennis by cutting east via either the rail Corridor or West Rd).

In the east I'm really unsure... Alignments that use the Finch hydro corridor to reach Seneca Newham and end at Unionville seem the right overall fit, but I can make good arguments either way for using the Richmond Hill corridor or following Don Mills proper. Similarly, I do see a good case for going NW to Richmond Hill Centre and more or less replacing Richmond Hill GO. Frankly branching doensn't seem unreasonable here. OTOH I also see real appeal to going LRT north of Eglinton and integrating the swing east with a Steeles line.

In a perfect world I'd probably build a Don Mills LRT ASAP and look at an Ontario Line extension more in the context of being a possible approach to getting full service on the Richmond Hill GO corridor and extending that line to Aurora.
Crazy talk. There isn't anything on Parkside drive, and that's a big diversion just to head back east to Dundas west. Half of the line would run alongside a park and the other half is residential homes. If we have to cut that many corners just to get it up to Bloor, I'd rather we not even bother. To get to Dundas west, Roncey is the only acceptable option IMO - as a subway - though I'll admit the Jane option shown above would suffice too.

I don't even know how to respond to the idea of ressurecting the Don Mills LRT.

Is there any need, really, to extend to Line 2? GO expansion provides lots of connectivity that is very similar. Probably more cost effective to upgrade that further.

Don Mills LRT especially now would be quite ridiculous. YRT is planning to eventually build the Viva Rapidway all the way down to Don Mills Station along Leslie/Don Mills. This means along Don Mills we will have a 4km long BRT, 6km long LRT, then a light metro down to DVP.

I do think this crayoning discussion should be split into a separate thread from the general Ontario line discussion - especially noting that an western extension is not likely in the short or even medium term.

(For those unfamiliar, crayoning is a a useful term coined by London Reconnections.
Crayoning - strategic transport planning with a box of coloured crayons/pens, using them to draw lines on a map, without thinking through the implications)

I do think this crayoning discussion should be split into a separate thread from the general Ontario line discussion - especially noting that an western extension is not likely in the short or even medium term.

(For those unfamiliar, crayoning is a a useful term coined by London Reconnections.
Crayoning - strategic transport planning with a box of coloured crayons/pens, using them to draw lines on a map, without thinking through the implications)
Agreed! We already have a fantasy transit thread which is interesting but .....

Maybe the answer is to have a thread that is strictly project updates and another thread for discussion.

A west extension would be nice, but I'd rather see an extension to Don Mills first. It should be going to Don Mills now.

I'd also like to see Metrolinx actually consult with communities before imposing projects on them.

I like the Queensway alignment. It would offer better transit to southern Etobicoke and Sherway gardens plus it could be elevated or in the rail corridor making an inexpensive extension.
I think I'm leaning on a Queensway extension as well for reasons you've mentioned. A Jane alignment would also be nice as well and could take over the Jane LRT instead.
Is there any need, really, to extend to Line 2? GO expansion provides lots of connectivity that is very similar. Probably more cost effective to upgrade that further.
Maybe to Sherway but no further than that. A Milton RER could serve the City of Mississauga at a cheaper price than a Line 2 extension.
A west extension would be nice, but I'd rather see an extension to Don Mills first. It should be going to Don Mills now.

I'd also like to see Metrolinx actually consult with communities before imposing projects on them.
Agreed, a northern extension of the line should come first before any western extension.

Maybe to Sherway but no further than that. A Milton RER could serve the City of Mississauga at a cheaper price than a Line 2 extension.
would definitely be on board with a line 2 extension Sherway with an intermediate stop at east mall. The busses going along Dundas to and from Kipling get pretty packed during rush hour (pre covid) and there are lot of busses going along there. I think it would make a lot of sense and could be done fairly inexpensively.

would definitely be on board with a line 2 extension Sherway with an intermediate stop at east mall. The busses going along Dundas to and from Kipling get pretty packed during rush hour (pre covid) and there are lot of busses going along there. I think it would make a lot of sense and could be done fairly inexpensively.
To clarify, I meant there is no need to expect OL to extend to connect with Line 2. Lots of GO connectivity already, it would be kind of redundant.

The Milton Go line dips south to just north of Sherway at The West Mall. If RER comes to that line, it makes sense to add a Sherway stop (and probably a Cawthra stop). The Lakeshore is already served by Go and Queensway lacks density west of Islington to justify subway right now.

My understanding is that the Dufferin Loop is being replaced. I’d think the replacement will be an extension that reaches the OL Exhibition station. That would give Parkdale streetcars a feeder to the OL in the south and the new SmartTrack station at Queen and Dufferin. Not bad.

Back