Oops .. Gormick's article is exemplary idiotic.

One can reasonably debate the benefit of replacing the OL plan with the previous, higher-capacity DRL plan. Even that looks a bit risky now (sort of one bird at hand vs two in the sky), but if it can made certain that DRL is going to be built, then that's an upgrade over OL.

But suggesting that no RL is needed at all .. on which planet is he vacationing? The Yonge North subway design work is going ahead, at this point YNSE will be built no matter what. Once it opens and builds up its ridership, the downtown section of the whole TTC subway system will choke from extreme demand, if no RL is in place by then.

Cancelling the Ontario line at this point might be the most egregious mistake made in the history of Toronto Transit, even if there is a proposed alternate plan. We have been waiting way too long for some form of relief line, resetting the timeline now would be disastrous with the proposed Yonge extension very likely still happening.

Cancelling the Ontario line at this point might be the most egregious mistake made in the history of Toronto Transit, even if there is a proposed alternate plan.
Only because it would delay something by another decade or two. Which may make it no more egregious than all the other similar cancellations that have taken place since the 1970s. Remember when the DRL was supposed to open in 1980?

Only because it would delay something by another decade or two. Which may make it no more egregious than all the other similar cancellations that have taken place since the 1970s. Remember when the DRL was supposed to open in 1980?
Also a "something" that the city's infrastructure could afford to delay in 1980, but no longer today; the Eglinton Line and YNSE will overload the Yonge Line beyond its use, which is now at or over capacity.

Pathetic Toronto Star back at it... Guess it must be a slow day down there. No alternatives discussed. Pointless article.

I'm not someone who was excited by the changes from DRL to Ontario Line, but this opinion piece is worthless. Where is the evidence that it is "cheaper and faster"? I have evidence from 1985 that housing in Toronto is affordable.

Cancelling the Ontario line at this point might be the most egregious mistake made in the history of Toronto Transit, even if there is a proposed alternate plan. We have been waiting way too long for some form of relief line, resetting the timeline now would be disastrous with the proposed Yonge extension very likely still happening.

They reset the timeline a few years ago by canceling the Relief Line.

I'd rather see them do this properly than get than building it for the sake of it.

They reset the timeline a few years ago by canceling the Relief Line.

I'd rather see them do this properly than get than building it for the sake of it.
That's what they said when the OL was introduced ...

I prefer the original Relief Line plan over the OL, but at the same time, this is a project whose utility is increasing, and that increase is getting larger with the upcoming opening of the Eglinton LRT, SSE, and planned YNSE.

Gormick is obviously subtweeting Michael Schabas in that op-ed, and I grabbed the popcorn as I read that.

(Schabas himself made a similar argument that we don’t need a relief line because GO Expansion in a very problematic review of provincial/Metrolinx projects 8 years ago. Now he’s consulting for Metrolinx and pushed forward his own DRL vision.)

Otherwise this op-ed is terrible. There are things I don’t like about the Ontario Line, and I have my continued suspicions of Metrolinx, but the OL helps fill many needs, and while closing two blocks of Queen Street for 5 years is ridiculously long, you have to tear up streets sometimes to build transit.

Though I enjoyed the comments about Schabas, it read like a tantrum more than an informed article. This is unfortunate, as Gormick did some fine work on passenger rail consulting and advocacy.
Pathetic Toronto Star back at it... Guess it must be a slow day down there. No alternatives discussed. Pointless article.

okay this is a funny article:

"JuSt UsE rIcHmOnd hIlL lINe" LOL

Thats his only argument jfc
I mean, it's an opinion piece. People are mad, but this is what we're stuck with. Let's make the best of this.

Last edited:
Agree with nfitz, wouldn't be more egregious than cancelling the DRL south/DRL North. Doesn't mean we should do it. Personally, the rolling stock will be deciding factor at this point. If they cave and use the rockets, there really is no reason to cancel it other than that you don't like Ford's plan, which has it flaws (Ontario Place?)

Agree with nfitz, wouldn't be more egregious than cancelling the DRL south/DRL North. Doesn't mean we should do it. Personally, the rolling stock will be deciding factor at this point. If they cave and use the rockets, there really is no reason to cancel it other than that you don't like Ford's plan, which has it flaws (Ontario Place?)
They most likely wont go with the Toronto Rockets.

Also a "something" that the city's infrastructure could afford to delay in 1980, but no longer today; the Eglinton Line and YNSE will overload the Yonge Line beyond its use, which is now at or over capacity.

That's what they said when the OL was introduced ...

I prefer the original Relief Line plan over the OL, but at the same time, this is a project whose utility is increasing, and that increase is getting larger with the upcoming opening of the Eglinton LRT, SSE, and planned YNSE.

Is it? We're getting some more information and it's great to see some renderings etc.

However, the inherent issues with this plan (capacity, for example) have not been addressed.

Is it? We're getting some more information and it's great to see some renderings etc.

However, the inherent issues with this plan (capacity, for example) have not been addressed.

That's true, but Gormick doesn't want to switch from OL back to high-capacity RL South.

He wants to abandon both OL and RL, and rely on the enhanced GO service alone to decongest Yonge. Following that advice would lead to disastrous outcomes.

Back