I wonder how accurate it is - I can only find 1 crossover for the entire line - between Pape and Cosburn.
Ignoring the lack of crossovers at the terminals, this does seem about right for the length of line and actual prospects for less than full line operation. I do also note a single crossover at the MSF entrance though.

Is it just me or does the interactive map hint at platforms larger than 100m and more to the size of standard TTC platform length ?
Idk how accurate the map is but it's just something I noticed I might just be nitpicking.

Is it just me or does the interactive map hint at platforms larger than 100m and more to the size of standard TTC platform length ?
Idk how accurate the map is but it's just something I noticed I might just be nitpicking.
The station box doesn't mean platform length. It has to be longer than 100m to include storage, janitor rooms, electrical rooms and ventilation shafts. 20-40m is pretty reasonable to reserve for these.

Feels bad for all those River-City condos and south Corktown condos that thought they were getting a station. They got more screwed than the Distillery.

Feels bad for all those River-City condos and south Corktown condos that thought they were getting a station. They got more screwed than the Distillery.

Honestly the new station is closer to the Distillery than the RL Corktown location, and it's now right by the office node that is the old Toronto Sun block. You win some, you lose some.

AoD

Last edited:
It is only a 10 minute walk from River City to the future stop at King and Parliament Streets, and the 504 is accessible as well. Plus, there's a bus route from River City through the Canary District to Union Station.

Was thinking about what the Ontario Line trains could look like. Built upon my previous drawing. Sketched this out during lunch today.

AF04D45B-CC31-4AD1-ACF1-2E1A6463580E.jpeg

Was thinking about what the Ontario Line trains could look like. Built upon my previous drawing. Sketched this out during lunch today.

Very nice. Lots of talent. I'd like to see some retro angular vibes. Effectively a modified Lotus Esprit / early BART front end, and perhaps a tight floorplate and roof that tapers outwards toward the centre of the side giving a hexagonal profile.

London's Underground trains are shaped to "fit" the tunnels.

train_fronts.jpg
From link.

Toronto's subway trains have a curve in their roof, to fit into the tunnels.
Toronto_Transit_Commission_5201-a.jpg
From link.

Not sure yet what shape the tunnels will have, which would dictate the shape of the Ontario Line trains.

Last edited:
Seeing the new plans for Quayside, including a destination performing arts centre, makes me even more sure that we'll regret not building a Cherry St. station. Seems like the obvious place to transfer to a streetcar or walk to access the emerging waterfront community at Quayside, Silo Park, North Keating, Villier's Island and the rest of the Portlands. You could even build a tunnel to a station entrance on the south side of the rail tracks (maybe a bit of a stretch but not unfathomable).

What's the best alternative route in the current plans? Broadview streetcar in the Portlands from East Harbour? Queens Quay E streetcar from Union? A bus down parliament from Corktown station? They all seem less than ideal.

I know there are practical constraints to construction, but I think there is so much to gain from figuring this one out. Probably won't happen and we'll just regret it once all the development is finished and people start to move in...

Seeing the new plans for Quayside, including a destination performing arts centre, makes me even more sure that we'll regret not building a Cherry St. station. Seems like the obvious place to transfer to a streetcar or walk to access the emerging waterfront community at Quayside, Silo Park, North Keating, Villier's Island and the rest of the Portlands. You could even build a tunnel to a station entrance on the south side of the rail tracks (maybe a bit of a stretch but not unfathomable).

What's the best alternative route in the current plans? Broadview streetcar in the Portlands from East Harbour? Queens Quay E streetcar from Union? A bus down parliament from Corktown station? They all seem less than ideal.

I know there are practical constraints to construction, but I think there is so much to gain from figuring this one out. Probably won't happen and we'll just regret it once all the development is finished and people start to move in...

I agree. There should be a station that directly serves the WDL and DD. Seems like an oversight, though I fear it's likely way too late in the process to be reconsidered.

The Ontario Line process confuses me. Why do we still not know the rolling stock? We knew the rolling stock for Eglinton and Finch LRTs years before construction started. There are people on the internet that will wax poetic about the amazing capacity of Ontario Line rolling stock, but we don't know what it is. Why is everything a secret?

IIRC, the response Steve Munro got as to why Cherry St station cannot happen is that the incline at that section of the Ontario Line is too steep to be able to include a station. Do with that what you will.

Back