interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Database file coming soon, but in the meantime, here is the first rendering:

07_Future Ontario Line station building at southeast corner of King St E and Berkeley St (Cork...jpg

Considering that IO is intending to build LOTS of towers on the adjacent First Parliament site it seems VERY odd that this is a one storey building. And what looks like a rather boring one too!

Considering that IO is intending to build LOTS of towers on the adjacent First Parliament site it seems VERY odd that this is a one storey building. And what looks like a rather boring one too!
I wonder if we're gonna see something similar to what Ottawa did at Lyon station. That was built as a one story building, and then a condo tower was added on top after the entrance was built.

I wonder if we're gonna see something similar to what Ottawa did at Lyon station. That was built as a one story building, and then a condo tower was added on top after the entrance was built.
That's fine, but I suspect one needs to plan for this in advance.

I certainly hope you're right about that, and that that will be par for the course for the stations on this line, the rule and not the exception.

Here's the neighbourhood context map:

olta_downtown_segment_maps_mx_engage_corktown_20220203_final.png

Meanwhile, the thread for the non-station buildings at this site is here.

Last edited:
Metrolinx has some pretty dense plans for development atop the station here:

Metrolinx has some pretty dense plans for development atop the station here:

I thought Infrastructure Ontario is driving it--not Metrolinx?

I find the renderings very misleading. Could IO and ML not cooperated to show what the stations would actually look like, at least conceptually for the TOD (massing etc.).

Just about done. So, once that’s clear- is the plan to do the archaeological dig up of the parliamentary foundations and move them elsewhere?
View attachment 392666
I think the archaeology is done. The First Parliament building was a wooden house and really had few foundations. The buildings were burnt in 1813 and not much there, an earlier excavation about a decade ago found burnt floors but not much else.

I actually like the low rise pavilion however given the location an added tower would make more sense. I think it would be advantageous if they could keep the interior as open as the rendering suggests...

I thought Infrastructure Ontario is driving it--not Metrolinx?

I find the renderings very misleading. Could IO and ML not cooperated to show what the stations would actually look like, at least conceptually for the TOD (massing etc.).
As far as I understand it, Metrolinx had the idea for the TOC, and then IO will handle the actual procurement of the project. Which very well could mean that IO hires a different architect for the towers than Metrolinx does for the stations. Effectively they are two separate projects at this point, which is probably why Metrolinx put out a rendering of the station by itself. Ideally they should have put like, a ghost outline of a building above, but here we are. We do have IO's renderings of the TOC, but it seems those don't have accurate depictions of the station structures anymore (although the main difference is IOs version is blockier, with no curved glass on the corners, otherwise, they're both glass structures with the same layout).

It's also possible that the towers will end up being developed after the station is complete (Metrolinx has said TOC's may be built after the stations), so we could see the station be a stand alone pavilion for a period of time. Something similar happened in Ottawa where Lyon station had it's entrance built as a stand-alone structure and then a while later they began building a condo around/above it.

I actually like the low rise pavilion however given the location an added tower would make more sense. I think it would be advantageous if they could keep the interior as open as the rendering suggests...
Infrastructure Ontario has published architectural plans for the TOC sites, and the subway station layout is very similar to what is shown in the rendering in terms of being an open space, with elevators located between the sets of escalators/stairs, and columns around the perimeter. So while the rendering lacks the tower above the station, it seems the layout shown in the rendering is designed to support an overhead tower with no major changes.

As far as I understand it, Metrolinx had the idea for the TOC, and then IO will handle the actual procurement of the project. Which very well could mean that IO hires a different architect for the towers than Metrolinx does for the stations. Effectively they are two separate projects at this point, which is probably why Metrolinx put out a rendering of the station by itself. Ideally they should have put like, a ghost outline of a building above, but here we are. We do have IO's renderings of the TOC, but it seems those don't have accurate depictions of the station structures anymore (although the main difference is IOs version is blockier, with no curved glass on the corners, otherwise, they're both glass structures with the same layout).

It's also possible that the towers will end up being developed after the station is complete (Metrolinx has said TOC's may be built after the stations), so we could see the station be a stand alone pavilion for a period of time. Something similar happened in Ottawa where Lyon station had it's entrance built as a stand-alone structure and then a while later they began building a condo around/above it.

Infrastructure Ontario has published architectural plans for the TOC sites, and the subway station layout is very similar to what is shown in the rendering in terms of being an open space, with elevators located between the sets of escalators/stairs, and columns around the perimeter. So while the rendering lacks the tower above the station, it seems the layout shown in the rendering is designed to support an overhead tower with no major changes.
IO is looking for a private partner to build the TOC, and the winner will bring whatever architects they want as past of their team, and that firm will have to accommodate what's going on re: the stations, whether the stations and the TOC are built in tandem or sequentially..

Back