Now that we have timed fares I think it's less important to have washrooms at every station. With very few exceptions (Castle Frank?) you can just leave the station and use a public washrooms outside the station if you have to

Lets put aside those who are elderly, have medical conditions, are pregnant or who have young children for one moment...............

Are you actually sure there are open-to-the-public washrooms nearby every station.......at midnight? Or even in the middle of the day?

Lets try this.........

Victoria Park Station - nearest pseudo-public washroom - Metro at Shopper's World - Distance ~530M - closes at 10pm nightly

Main - Station - " - arguably the KFC that @tstormers keeps in business - distance ~180m - closes at 10/11pm nightly, doesn't open til 10:30am

Woodbine Station - " - Tim Horton's - 250M away plus - closes 9pm nightly; or maybe 'The Firkin' - doesn't open til Noon; closes as early as 10pm some nights.

I think you'll find washrooms are nowhere near as accessible as you may imagine.

That said, I wouldn't prioritize them for every station, particularly if we're doing gender-segregated facilities, because that then generally requires gender-specific security/janitorial staff and its a hassle to frequently check said facilities.

I think prioritizing transfer stations as per historic but never fully delivered TTC policy (St. George and Spadina would be on that list) and then higher volume stations that justify the staff presence, as well as those w/transfers to GO.

So Keele, Dundas West, Bathurst, Broadview, Main, Yorkdale, Sheppard West, York Mills, etc.

Lets put aside those who are elderly, have medical conditions, are pregnant or who have young children for one moment...............

Are you actually sure there are open-to-the-public washrooms nearby every station.......at midnight? Or even in the middle of the day?

Lets try this.........

Victoria Park Station - nearest pseudo-public washroom - Metro at Shopper's World - Distance ~530M - closes at 10pm nightly

Main - Station - " - arguably the KFC that @tstormers keeps in business - distance ~180m - closes at 10/11pm nightly, doesn't open til 10:30am

Woodbine Station - " - Tim Horton's - 250M away plus - closes 9pm nightly; or maybe 'The Firkin' - doesn't open til Noon; closes as early as 10pm some nights.

I think you'll find washrooms are nowhere near as accessible as you may imagine.

That said, I wouldn't prioritize them for every station, particularly if we're doing gender-segregated facilities, because that then generally requires gender-specific security/janitorial staff and its a hassle to frequently check said facilities.

I think prioritizing transfer stations as per historic but never fully delivered TTC policy (St. George and Spadina would be on that list) and then higher volume stations that justify the staff presence, as well as those w/transfers to GO.

So Keele, Dundas West, Bathurst, Broadview, Main, Yorkdale, Sheppard West, York Mills, etc.

I agree that at least the transfer stations should have one, as I have had a personal experience where it was a rough hold to get to Bloor Station from the East just to use the washroom and at those points you aren't thinking, "I'll get off and see if I can find one". That and a lot of those places mentioned don't like nor have to let you use their facilities.

I believe public washrooms are severely lacking in the city especially at parks. Even with understanding the extra costs of upkeep and cleaning, it is better than people using any dark corner or in some cases the middle of parking garage stairs, (unfortunately have seen this DT near my office).

Go KFC ;p haha Though I will be a bit upset if they close the McD's at Pape for my late night drive-thru orders.

Lets try this.........

Sheppard West already has washrooms.

Last edited:
Regarding a few other stations, this time on Line 1:

Cedarvale (formerly Eglinton West) will have washrooms. Note that publicly accessible washrooms for Cedarvale (before Line 5 opens), Glencairn, and Lawrence West stations would be quite a walk away. For Cedarvale station, Coffee Time at Eglinton and Winona would be the nearest publicly accessible washroom. For Glencairn station, it would be Miyako Sushi at Glencairn and Marlee. For Lawrence West, it would be inside the Lawrence Allen Centre shopping mall.

Every station has back of house washrooms for employees. The doors are marked with pink/blue circles near the top.

Now that we have timed fares I think it's less important to have washrooms at every station. With very few exceptions (Castle Frank?) you can just leave the station and use a public washrooms outside the station if you have to
Where are all these public washrooms you speak of? Coffee shop & chain fast food restaurant washrooms don't meet that definition, nor do washrooms in a mall. Toronto could really use more regardless.

Reactions: PL1

Back