Kathleen Wynne promised to finance the project during the final months of her government, however they did not receive federal funding.

Kathleen Wynne backs Toronto transit relief and SmartTrack plan​

author-placeholder.jpg

By Kerri Breen 640 Toronto
Posted May 3, 2018 1:26 pm
Updated May 3, 2018 1:39 pm

At a press conference at the GO Transit Willowbrook maintenance facility Thursday morning, Wynne said the government would partially fund the Downtown Relief Line, the Yonge North subway extension and the Waterfront light rail transit service.

She said the funding was included in her Liberal government’s spring budget, tabled just months before a provincial election. The fiscal blueprint did not specify which infrastructure projects the money would be spent on.

The investment is $9 billion, though Wynne could not say how much was going to each project.

Except he builds the wrong things. Building more highways/increasing highway capacity is a terrible idea that just results in more traffic. He also has no respect for nature with his Green Belt plans and the Ontario Place massacre. All this and his stance on bike lanes is completely idiotic. Doug Ford f'n sucks.
Love your posts Kotsy, a valued contributor, but I have to disagree with you here. We need a balance of highways and public transit. Interregional movement, commercial movement of goods etc, need highways and as we go more and more electric, the carbon footprint becomes less of an issue. I think Doug Ford has delivered both. He is spending way more on subways than highways don't forget.

Kathleen Wynne promised to finance the project during the final months of her government, however they did not receive federal funding.

Kathleen Wynne backs Toronto transit relief and SmartTrack plan​

author-placeholder.jpg

By Kerri Breen 640 Toronto
Posted May 3, 2018 1:26 pm
Updated May 3, 2018 1:39 pm

At a press conference at the GO Transit Willowbrook maintenance facility Thursday morning, Wynne said the government would partially fund the Downtown Relief Line, the Yonge North subway extension and the Waterfront light rail transit service.

She said the funding was included in her Liberal government’s spring budget, tabled just months before a provincial election. The fiscal blueprint did not specify which infrastructure projects the money would be spent on.

The investment is $9 billion, though Wynne could not say how much was going to each project.
The point is that the Liberals ran this province for a long time without getting anything substantial done. They can "commit" all they want. "" and "shovels in the ground" are two very different things. We have shovels in the ground now on 5 major transit projects in the GTA, not including the massive GO Transit investment. I cannot ever remember the Liberals having that level of activity in my 60 years on this planet.

They provided funding in 2016. Design work was 15% complete when Ford canceled it. Another example of Doug Ford wasting public money for no reason.

The Ontario line is vastly superior to the previous downtown relief line plan. Kathleen Wynne can talk all she wants about her "plans"

The fact of the matter is that shovels are in the ground for 5 transit projects in Toronto.

Doug Ford has built more transit in Toronto then the previous Liberal government built in 15 years.

The better question to ask is what transit projects in Toronto did the previous Liberal government build in their 15 years in power?

There is a difference between talk and getting shovels in the ground.

Love your posts Kotsy, a valued contributor, but I have to disagree with you here. We need a balance of highways and public transit. Interregional movement, commercial movement of goods etc, need highways and as we go more and more electric, the carbon footprint becomes less of an issue. I think Doug Ford has delivered both. He is spending way more on subways than highways don't forget.

That's a fair argument but I think he could do a lot better. Having said that, enough with the side track 😊

If these transit projects were left up to the city of Toronto to get built, they would never have seen the light of day. You should thank Doug Ford for taking over these projects.
While I can't speak for everyone, but I am not sure there's enough money to be had to pay me to...

Last edited:

Back