Its all good:cool:

New Infrastructure Kick-Starts the Revitalization of Key Waterfront Site

TORONTO, Aug. 28, 2012 /CNW/ - In a dual celebration, Waterfront Toronto, Harbourfront Centre and our government partners, officially opened the York Quay underground parking facility and broke ground on a new landscape that is converting an asphalt parking lot into dynamic new public space.

The revitalization of York Quay is a multi-phased project that is transforming about a third of Harbourfront Centre's 10 acre site into an even more vibrant waterfront destination. In early 2011, construction began on the new 300-stall underground parking garage designed to replace the surface parking lot between Queens Quay and the water's edge. By moving the parking lot underground, the surface area was opened up for the creation of new public space

With the garage now open, construction is underway on a series of public spaces by renowned landscape architects Michael Van Valkenburgh and Associates (MVVA). The design for the 1.4 hectare site includes three components: Canada Square, an impressive plaza space overlooking Lake Ontario; Ontario Square, a large public plaza facing Queens Quay; and Cultural Village, a future, low-scale development area with shops, cafes, restaurants, artist studios and architect offices that will feature temporary landscaping until it is realized

MVVA's design brings nature into the plazas in an unconventional way. Canada Square will become a vertical garden featuring 44 majestic Redwood trees. Ontario Square, which features several stands of Ontario Aspen trees, creates a series of miniature forests around the plaza and atop the underground garage's entrance.
More......http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/102...rts-the-revitalization-of-key-waterfront-site

$100K a parking spot: Toronto breaks ground and the bank near waterfront
The beaming politicians assembled for the obligatory “groundbreaking†photo at what will soon be new public space, where a parking lot once stood, along Toronto’s waterfront on Tuesday.

Construction is well under way on Canada Square and Ontario Square, which will open next spring beside Harbourfront Centre, at the foot of York Street. Officials also heralded the completion of an underground parking garage at the same spot, a cause for celebration in downtown Toronto where surface lots are being gobbled up by condo towers.

But with a price tag of $25-million for 300 spots — and a three-storey glass sculpture by architect and designer James Carpenter that will reach above the surface and refract light to the bowels below — the new lot highlights another little discussed cost to waterfront redevelopment: parking.
More....http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...o-breaks-ground-and-the-bank-near-waterfront/
Groundbreaking ceremony for multi-million dollar York-Quay revitalization.....http://www.globaltoronto.com/ground...ork-quay+revitalization/6442704408/story.html

Ooooh! Redwood trees, and Aspens. There's a lovely Dawn Redwood in St. James's Park ( and a couple of glorious Kentucky Coffee trees ) but we don't have enough redwoods about town, say I.

I've seen a few 'redwoods' on stage in Toronto but not on the waterfront! Who knew they'd be ok there?

Photos taken 16 February 2016.

IMG_2971_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2970_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2974_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2972_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2976_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2981_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2984_1-XL.jpg

IMG_3003_1-XL.jpg

The roof of the ramp going down into the parking below has been planted with trees.

IMG_3004_1-XL.jpg

IMG_3005_1-XL.jpg

The upper part of 'Light Cascade' connecting the square with the areas below.

IMG_3006_1-XL.jpg

The parking garage below the Squares that is built around Carpenter's 'Light Cascade.' I couldn't help think while walking around the parking garage that it could have been an art gallery or exhibition space for special events and parking the rest of the time if only the ceilings had been a few metres higher and the floors level. I have thought the same of the parking below Nathan Philips Square.

IMG_2988_1-X2.jpg

IMG_2990_1-X2.jpg

IMG_2991_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2995_1-X2.jpg

IMG_2993_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2996_1-X2.jpg

IMG_2997_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2998_1-X2.jpg

IMG_3001_1-X2.jpg

Last edited:
The parking garage below the Squares that is built around Carpenter's 'Light Cascade.' I couldn't help think while walking around the parking garage that it could have been an art gallery or exhibition space for special events and parking the rest of the time if only the ceilings had been a few metres higher and the floors level. I have thought the same of the parking below Nathan Philips Square.

Looking forward to it (and the squares above) being all finished up! Thanks for the excellent photo tour rdaner!

^ Great pics. Redwoods are one of my favorite trees and should look stunning in Canada Square. All the pains of construction for local residents will be well worth it when QQ is all redone in a few years. The City is going to look amazing for the Pan Am Games. We should be very proud of this work along the waterfront.

So far, I'm not very impressed by what I see. The area behind the Power Plant looks more like a parking area for buses, than a public square. (and no, I'm not talking about the underground parking garage but the square on top) It's mainly just a few cement planters and a walkway, surrounded by parking for buses. I see nothing much to like design wise. What's up with all the trees? If I wanted a forest of trees, I'd go to Centre Island. (or the Leslie Street Spit, or the Don River Ravines or ...)

I wanted to see fountains, monuments, art and lots of animation. I don't think we are going to get much of that. It seems like we are getting H2O, without the urban beach. (in other words, just a paved walk way and some open space, with trees) I don't see much of a public square forming. I don't see anything new in design or function, besides the cool underground parking garage. Is that really what this was all about, parking? (for cars & buses)

Last edited:
There's an amazing Redwood in front of my building that I adore. I'm a tree guy. So when WT said that they were planting them here, I got excited. As excited as someone into trees can be :p

I find them very majestic; so to see them on the water is going to be a treat. For me, anyway.

Last edited:
There's an amazing Redwood in front of my building that I adore. I'm a tree guy. So when WT said that they were planting them here, I got excited. As excited as someone into trees can be :p

I find them very majestic; so to see them on the water is going to be a treat. For me, anyway.

I'm not anti-trees or anything, in fact, I consider myself a tree person. I want more trees in the city but I want them to be used in creative ways and make a statement. I also want to see different types of trees used and not just the same ones we have all over the city. I want to see trees, shrubs and plants used in creative ways, to bring something new to the city. Take a look at how cities like Paris, use trees in so many different ways. Why not bring that same level of creativity to our parks and streets? Look how much better Sugar Beach became, with those Weeping Willow trees. They bring a whole new look to the waterfront. There are also times when a public square doesn't need trees. Some urban designs call for art and other means to animate it. Trees shouldn't be used in all cases.

The Redwoods are something different for Toronto, so that is a good thing but I just wish there was more to both public squares than trees. If that's all they bring to the squares, (and from renderings I've seen, it's just trees in planters and a few benches) it's just not good enough for me. How often do we get new public squares in this city? Shouldn't a square named "Canada Square" represent something more than an empty square with some trees and benches? We have lots of parks that already give us that same design. Look over to H2O West, it's exactly the same design. (and it's empty most of the time. H2O East gets all the attention because of the urban beach, while H2O just remains deserted)

They are going to have to bring something to animate those squares or they will also sit mostly unused, while people promenade along the Harbourfront Boardwalk.

Last edited:

Back