For what its worth, DCN has this building at 48 storeys.

CONDOMINIUM BUILDING
Proj: 9136182-2
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/PLANNING

PACE Condominiums, 155 Dundas St E, Jarvis St, Mutual St, M5B 1E4
$40,000,000 est
Start: March, 2012 Complete: 2015
Note:
Sales and marketing are ongoing. Detailed design is nearing completion. Working drawings are expected late summer/early fall, 2011. Schedules for completion of working drawings will be determined based on sales. Construction manager anticipates invited sub trade tender and construction start early 2012. Further update fall 2011.
Project:
floor to ceiling windows; laminate flooring; corian countertops; tile; stainless teel appliances; porcelain tile; soaker tubs; glass shower enclosure; proposed construction of a 38-storey condominium building with 417 suites. Amenities include a ten-storey podium with street level retail space. Five levels of undergound parking for 142 spaces is also included.
Scope:
375,000 square feet; 48 storeys; 5 storeys below grade; 417 units; parking for 142 cars; 2 acres
Development:
New

Project:
...proposed construction of a 38-storey condominium building with 417 suites. Amenities include a ten-storey podium with street level retail space. Five levels of undergound parking for 142 spaces is also included.

Scope:
375,000 square feet; 48 storeys; 5 storeys below grade; 417 units; parking for 142 cars; 2 acres
Development:
New

Is this a DCN typo? 38 storey,417 units, then later 48 storeys 417 units, same# of units, but 10 more floors??

Not sure how this works, told by baker agents that GG is asking for 46s as per original marketing. As there would be a 2 storey lobby and omission of floor 13, does that make the actual floor count 46??

In the process of buying a mid level unit around the 20-25th, base on GG's past developments, how long do you expect the occupancy period would last??

Hate to be paying above market rent to the builder while still living in a construction zone. Good thing there is no talk of an immediate 2nd phase, I heard some builder would wait til the completion of the 2nd phase to have everything registered all together, much like putting everyone on a 3 year waiting list for locker units and selling just before occupancy, these greedy parasites would try to dig out every possible means of profitting from us poor buyers.

Last edited:
Is this a DCN typo? 38 storey,417 units, then later 48 storeys 417 units, same# of units, but 10 more floors??

Not sure how this works, told by baker agents that GG is asking for 46s as per original marketing. As there would be a 2 storey lobby and omission of floor 13, does that make the actual floor count 46??

In the process of buying a mid level unit around the 20-25th, base on GG's past developments, how long do you expect the occupancy period would last??

38 stories + 10 floor podium = 48 total. No typo I just think you read too quickly.

I am living at X on 18, of 44 floors. My occupancy period was 2 weeks.

38 stories + 10 floor podium = 48 total. No typo I just think you read too quickly.

I am living at X on 18, of 44 floors. My occupancy period was 2 weeks.

WOW 2 weeks? you sure? That would imply GG is willing to wait for the buidling to be completely finished ready to register before allowing anyone to take occupancy, that sounds almost too good to be true. I would expect this from a penthouse unit, my friend at city place waited for a year before it finally got registered I think.

GG is selling tower units from the 10th floor, 9th floor being the ammenities, so it works out to a 8 storey podium+30 storey tower. If the proposed 48 stories goes through, 10 floor podium - what happens to the people who bought the 10th floor tower units I wonder? they can't simply switch over to podium units as the layout and prices are entirely different.

Last edited:
GG is selling tower units from the 10th floor, 9th floor being the ammenities, so it works out to a 8 storey podium+30 storey tower. If the proposed 48 stories goes through, 10 floor podium - what happens to the people who bought the 10th floor tower units I wonder? they can't simply switch over to podium units as the layout and prices are entirely different.

Hey, hold on dwynix3 your all over the place...the original plan is for 46 storeys including a 10 storey podium. DCN has specified ("take it with a grain of salt") that basically its 38 storeys over-top of a 10 storey podium..nothing has changed except 2 extra floors to the tower, and then again nothing is carved in stone.

WOW 2 weeks? you sure? That would imply GG is willing to wait for the buidling to be completely finished ready to register before allowing anyone to take occupancy, that sounds almost too good to be true. I would expect this from a penthouse unit, my friend at city place waited for a year before it finally got registered I think.

Lol, am I sure? Yes, it's a fact as I lived it ;) They also gave me an option to chose my move in date within a month timeframe. And GG is not Cityplace. Completely different category.

Lol, am I sure? Yes, it's a fact as I lived it ;) They also gave me an option to chose my move in date within a month timeframe. And GG is not Cityplace. Completely different category.

That's terrific, thx!! definitely seals the deal for me.

the original plan is for 46 storeys including a 10 storey podium. DCN has specified ("take it with a grain of salt") that basically its 38 storeys over-top of a 10 storey podium..nothing has changed except 2 extra floors to the tower, and then again nothing is carved in stone.

Automation, I am just little unclear on the proposed height of the podium. If it`s gonna be 10 storeys then why is GG currently selling units on the 10th floor as tower not podium? Yes the original plans calls for a 10 story podium with the 11th floor being the ammenities, tower units would start on the 12th floor and above. The fact they have sold 10,11th floor as towers has me pondering whether GG has now reduced the podium height to 8 and attempting to get approval for a 40 storey tower on top.

Last edited:
That's terrific, thx!! definitely seals the deal for me.
Automation, I am just little unclear on the proposed height of the podium. If it`s gonna be 10 storeys then why is GG currently selling units on the 10th floor as tower not podium? Yes the original plans calls for a 10 story podium with the 11th floor being the ammenities, tower units would start on the 12th floor and above. The fact they have sold 10,11th floor as towers as pondering whether GG has now reduced the podium height to 8 and attempting to get approval for a 40 storey tower on top.

Yeah dwynix3, i know what you mean... i think its to early in the game to know whats going on with this one.

I bought 2 units at Pace Condos (jarvis/dundas), 625sqf north facing, 570 sqf NE corner. see the floor plans below:

http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/pace-condos/floor-plans

Since the builder is Greatgulf and no spandrel was used in their last porject X Condos, I figured none would be used on this one either, the feature list states floor to ceiling windows. But the more I look at the floor plan the more it seems, for the 625sqf north facing unit, there would only be a sliding door in the living/dining area and one window in each of the bedrooms. Getting natural light won't be an issue with floor to ceiling windows running wall to wall as I originally thought, but if spandrels are used. At least I should be fine with the 570sqf corner unit. Why do builders do this? I absolutely detest the use of spandrels, cheapens the whole look of a glass tower.

Furthermore on the floor plan there is a second line drawn just behind the windows, it that the lowered bulkhead?? glass shouldn't be that thick, the room sqf measurement includes that line but the furniture pieces are placed outside of that line? These suites have 9ft ceiling as standard, would having a bulkhead lower the celing height in that area to 8ft and make the windows even smaller?

dwynix3 .... I think you will be fine and maybe just reading too much into the marketing drawings .... it would appear that the 625 sqft unit would provide wall to wall windows in your case ... spandrel panels are oftern REQUIRED to cover areas where load bearing walls project/meet the building facade (and yes sometimes it is cost savings vs providing vision glass) ... you either get load bearing walls or those fat round columns often seen in floor-to-ceiling window condos nowadays (like your 570 sqft unit), its one or the other

the second line you are question reads to me like a window/door sill .... typically these marketing drawings will not show bulkheads, that is information that very few builders will share with its purchasers, that is a element of suprise that you should be prepared to deal with when buying new construction .... there will ALWAYS be bulkheads in condo suites (except really high ends ones perhaps which hide them in dropped ceilings), the only question is where the bulkhead lands in your suite ~

Last edited:
dwynix3 .... I think you will be fine and maybe just reading too much into the marketing drawings .... it would appear that the 625 sqft unit would provide wall to wall windows in your case ... spandrel panels are oftern REQUIRED to cover areas where load bearing walls project/meet the building facade (and yes sometimes it is cost savings vs providing vision glass) ... you either get load bearing walls or those fat round columns often seen in floor-to-ceiling window condos nowadays (like your 570 sqft unit), its one or the other

the second line you are question reads to me like a window/door sill .... typically these marketing drawings will not show bulkheads, that is information that very few builders will share with its purchasers, that is a element of suprise that you should be prepared to deal with when buying new construction .... there will ALWAYS be bulkheads in condo suites (except really high ends ones perhaps which hide them in dropped ceilings), the only question is where the bulkhead lands in your suite ~

Thanks Solaris, went over to the sales office, but the agent there was no help, just gave me a blank stare saying is preliminary and pointed to the building model which wasn't around when I made my purchase. By the looks of the model I say I am gonna have to live with these dreaded spandrels one way or another as the model depicts clear and blue/grey colored sections along the exterior.

Taking a closer look at the floor plans you should see how the windows are illustrated differently, some are drawn with a line in the middle, these are floor to ceiling vision glass. While those do not have the line are actually spandrel panels, notice how these panels are always strategically located either in between structural walls or to shield the linear kitchen cabinets from outside view. The overuse of spandrels on Tridel’s James Cooper mansion is hideous to say the least, Oh well… luckily I still got that 570sqf corner unit which should be largely free of these nuisances.

Last edited:
I'm all for high rise development downtown... but 40+ storeys is just too tall for this location and a property this small. For Spire to get the height it did, it had to do a density transfer. Knock it down 15 storeys easily.

Also.. 10 storeys isn't a podium.. that's a mid-rise building (hell, it could possibly be a "tall building" if it is taller than Dundas is wide).

Either way, the Ward is going to get a big density bonus payout.

I'm all for high rise development downtown... but 40+ storeys is just too tall for this location and a property this small. For Spire to get the height it did, it had to do a density transfer. Knock it down 15 storeys easily.

Also.. 10 storeys isn't a podium.. that's a mid-rise building (hell, it could possibly be a "tall building" if it is taller than Dundas is wide).

Either way, the Ward is going to get a big density bonus payout.

Just received a set of revised purchase documents from GG, they have reduced the height down to 39 with a 8 storey podium, (why 39 not 40?) I am still hoping they would try to get the originally planned 46s, is this final? Not sure all this works, is the application for 46 still going through approval? I understand your point, but was under the impression that the area residents would evaluate the pro and cons and come to realize the inflow of higher income residents would only greatly benefit the neighorhood.

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume that area residents will come to that realization... it very, very rarely happens. Change is scary, even positive change. 39 storeys is very, very tall for this location... At least Spire was closer to downtown so wasn't so out of place... there isn't anything close to this size in this area that I can recall.

One of my main concerns is traffic. I haven't yet seen the plans for access, but I presume that most of it will be off the rear laneway and that no driveways will be on Jarvis or Dundas. That's a LOT of volume to put on that lane to then dump onto either Jarvis (very close to the intersection) or onto Mutual, which has no signalization at Shuter or Dundas. When you combine that with the future traffic from the Province's retrofit of the Sears Headquarters and what is likely to be a significant development of its parking lot... that puts a major strain on the Mutual/Dundas intersection. Furthermore, the point of no left onto Dundas during the day will be defeated if there's a backup due to people turning left onto the lane. At some point, I anticipating sitting down with the traffic report to have a read to see what their proposing.

Back