I like that the site signage and advertising says units "from the $200,000s", but if you register on the site, the minimum suite value you can say you're interested in is $350,000.

Given that the units on this corner have been vacant for quite some time, this isn't unexpected... and it is welcome. I'm curious if they are going to wait until the whole Dundas frontage is free of existing leases (i.e. Mounties) or if they are only going to develop a portion of it.

I'm curious if they are going to wait until the whole Dundas frontage is free of existing leases (i.e. Mounties) or if they are only going to develop a portion of it.

The building formerly home to Coffee Time is advertised for lease right now. I don't think GG owns it or any part of the block from Mounties west.

Hoardings are up at the site, and it looks like demolition is about to begin. The strip mall and most of the adjoining properties to the immediate West are vacant. I don't know if the Coffee Time is going to stay or go though!

Last edited:
Just remember, when you go to the community meeting to complain about the height of this project, please remember to make it plain and clear to the planners exactly why you oppose it.

Me smells a rat! Could it be a rat from Gulf Homes hmmm! Try it between a couple of Tortilla's with some hot sauce.

There are 2 remaining businesses on this block. The Mounties Bar and the variety store next door.

pacem21.jpg

I'm always amused by NIMBYs who create accounts on UT for the sole purpose of gathering information about a project they want to fight, and then are surprised to learn that the overwhelming majority of members here are pro-development.

There are 2 remaining businesses on this block. The Mounties Bar and the variety store next door.

pacem21.jpg
That whole stretch of buildings, right up to the Coffe Time, is so bleak and depressing. I will be so glad if they tear them all down.

I'm always amused by NIMBYs who create accounts on UT for the sole purpose of gathering information about a project they want to fight, and then are surprised to learn that the overwhelming majority of members here are pro-development.

There are no back yards in the vicinity.

An OK article.:)

Great Gulf Homes plans 46-storey condo tower for corner site in sketchy Dundas-Jarvis neighbourhood

Still, it’s fair to say that the area around the Pace Condos site is a helluva lot less desirable than the locations of GreatGulf’s other projects. Dundas & Jarvis sits on the periphery of one of the poorest residential areas in all of Canada, a vast downtown district with one of the country’s largest concentrations of homeless people and residents earning poverty-level incomes or collecting social assistance — people who have no hope of ever being able to live at Pace Condos or in a condo anywhere, for that matter. Meanwhile, if Pace Condos does get built, anyone who buys an east-facing unit will have views overlooking dozens of rooming houses, homeless shelters, government-subsidized apartments and social service agencies — all just a short stroll from their front door. And as the Toronto Star pointed out in a photo gallery on March 18, the epicentre of the city’s worst area for overall crime is the intersection of Dundas and Sherbourne Streets, just two blocks east.

More....http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/03/2...-site-in-sketchy-dundas-jarvis-neighbourhood/

Wow... negative much? I lived right at Dundas and Jarvis my first summer in Toronto... never had a problem in the area, and never felt unsafe. And I'm paranoid. The area has potential, including Dundas East.

Dundas and Sherbourne always scared me, and admittedly I never strayed east of Jarvis except for one time. But Jarvis is a much better story, and it is true that the proximity to Eaton Centre and area makes it feel more secure. You're also a short walk to St. Lawrence Neighbourhood.

I get the feeling that the questionable gentleman, who I'm sure was enjoying his beverage, was more qualified to comment on the long-term viability of this area than the writer.

Back