Aug 31, 2021

20210831_134430.jpg
20210831_134453.jpg

Scaffolding hides pedestrian signal from people crossing the street

Fri., Oct. 8, 2021

Judith Butler emailed to say scaffolding was erected around a building at the intersection of Dundas Street W., and Pacific Avenue, near Keele Street, that is to be torn down to make way for a new building.

“The scaffolding at the northeast corner has been erected in such a way that it obliterates the countdown signal for pedestrians waiting to travel east from the northwest side of Pacific,” she said.

“As this scaffolding will undoubtedly be in place for many months, I contacted the city on July 25th. I was given a reference number (7105086) which tells me that it’s on someone’s list to have a look-see.”

But long after her report to the city, Butler said neither scaffolding nor signal have been moved to make it visible to pedestrians.

I went there and found that only the top of the signal was visible from across the street, and I’m just a hair under six feet tall. Toronto Raptors players would be able to see it, but how many people fit that description?

STATUS: I sent a note to the city and got a reply from Elio Capizzano, a manager of permits and enforcement with transportation services, that said: “City staff investigated the location with an aim to have the signal clear and available to pedestrians as soon as possible.

“Staff discussed the obstruction with the contractor who is arranging to have the scaffold setup/placement changed in a way that supports the safety of both pedestrians and the site workers.”

I quite like this one, especially the glazing and strong horizontal banding of the top portion. Add to that the varied facade treatment and sensitive heritage integration and you've got a winner in my books.

Speaking to a local today, they thought this is now a rental + commercial building only. Anybody know if that is the case?

Yes, the residential units will indeed be rentals:
Interesting. That will be the first of 4 or 5 rental only buildings coming to The Junction in the next few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back