News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

But the interaction is half the appeal of the sign.

Interaction IS the appeal of the sign. In fact, it would be great if they can put an interactive element into the sign (sensors triggering changes in colour, create rhythm, etc) - it would be a magnet for attention like Crown Fountain, something this sign has inadvertently achieved)

Compare:
1280px-Crown_Fountain_-_silhouettes.jpg

(Wikipedia Commons)

to

16652-55379.jpg

(Marccanadian)

AoD

Last edited:
Thanks for the great photos, and I absolutely agree, it should stay put.

My concern is that once we start moving the sign to Toronto area landmarks, certain councillors will call foul and demand it be located near their community's "landmarks" like the Emery Village flag pole or Parkway Mall.

Don't thank me - I am merely reposting that article where it belongs in the forum. Thank SMT for putting it all together. You got a point re: councillors - but if it gets them to put a sign that said Toronto out in Emery Village, I think the victory is halfway there already.

AoD

I like the sign but in person it's already starting to come apart at the seams. Someone needs to recreate it in aluminum and heavy duty glass. As for location I'd say leave it roughly where it is.
I was noticing that too, and the last time I saw it the first "T" was out.

I think putting the sign somewhere on the grounds of Pearson Airport would be neat. Kind of like the LAX sign in LA.

16652-55379.jpg

After this year, 2015, and after the Parapan Am and Pam Am Games, the TORONTO sign may go on a "tour" of Toronto. Where do you like to see it?

WKL and Everyone:

After a two month absence from posting at UT I am going through topics to catch up here...

This TORONTO letter sign does remind me of the famous HOLLYWOOD sign out in the LA,CA
and it should be in a prominent visible location that will give it interaction with visitors as well
as protect it from any kind of vandalism if it was placed in a out of the way location.
the way location.

I'd be for leaving it in Nathan Phillips Square or displaying it in the area of the Exhibition Grounds - or perhaps displaying it on one of the Toronto Islands visible from
Yonge Street and Downtown...

The thought of displaying it near Pearson International Airport is also a good one but it will not
be accessible for public interaction more then likely...

I would rather see a permanent place for this sign as it is because moving it may make it become vulnerable to being damaged and with the right location this could be
to Toronto what the Hollywood sign is to Los Angeles in the future -
a permanent remnant of the Pan Am Games 2015 to be preserved.

Long Island Mike

P.S. Adma - I agree with you on your thought of the Pan Am Building (now MetLife Bldg.) in
NYC - That photo goes back some time and shows a NY Airways helicopter airport shuttle
landing at the rooftop heliport. This picture dates from the 60s into the early 70s at the latest.

Last edited:
Tuesday during my quick trip to Toronto, I took advantage of the great weather to walk up to University of Toronto from Front. I decided on the York/Elizabeth route rather than up University, and one of the cooler sights was City Hall these days -- the big TORONTO sign was blue and white and tons of folks taking pix. It really looks good beside the reflecting pool.

The Peace Garden was looking very good as well -- the little details ("Peace Garden" inlaid into the walkway at both ends, e.g.) were very nice and some folks were using the risers for impromptu discussions.

Back