Secluded, isolated parks are great but we also need options for people who like being around other people, especially in the downtown core. Usually people who live downtown, like being around and interacting with other people. Parks in a central, urban setting should be designed to encourage people to socialize and get to know each other. Too many people feel isolated from each other as it is. The internet does not fill that need.

I question the notion that people who live downtown are more likely "social". At the risk of I don't know, reading my own attitudes, beliefs and personality into the larger society, I'm not particularly "social" myself but I love living downtown because of the anonymity it affords. In that sense I love "being around other people" even I don't care to "interact with" most of them. I'd be interested in knowing what you're basing your assertion about "usually people who live downtown" on?

I fundamentally disagree with your blanket statement about the purpose of what parks "should be" (largely because of the homogenization your value judgement entails even where, allegedly, most parks aren't "social"). I think neighbourhood associations, municipal politics, the local knitting or run club are far better placed to fulfil the role of lessening perceived alienation. That being said, I'm not completely averse to parks being more "social" where they allegedly aren't. Parks after all are what you make of them. I can find quiet anywhere, even in a crowd at Dundas Square.

All that said, if it's quiet and contemplation somebody is seeking, uhh, hello, the Don and assorted other ravines are as quiet as can be -- even if you have to go off the beaten path in the Humber, for example. Yes, ironically, they're not programmed and landscaped to the hilt, but they're comparatively vast (even if you have to walk or bike a little more to get there). I suppose I don't care for the programming of most parks whether they're perceived and conceived of as "social" or not. But if it's physical isolation you're seeking it only stands to reason that you need to get farther away from people to achieve it. Anyhow, don't tell anyone about the ravines.

edit: Taking a closer look at Corktown Common how do you draw the conclusion it's not social? 1) Why does solitude have to be experienced in complete isolation? Presumably you can be social while experiencing solitude. My understanding of being sociable is that it's not just talking. In fact very little of communication is actually talking. 2) Less abstractly, there's a splash pad, kid's playground and small sports field in the park. Up the flood levy there's a dog run, skate park, basketball courts, and another kid's playground. At Sherbourne Common there's an ice rink and tonnes of places to sit along the concrete river. The board walk and Sugar Beach are full of benches and places to hang out with your best buds. Sugar Beach is inherently social. How does the non-social element dominate the park space in the area? What exactly are you looking for? All benches arranged in square formations facing each other and no park?

Last edited:
Just a quick photo to highlight one of the built-in communal dining features of the pavilion at Corktown Commons, which are apparently being heavily used. Also a photo of the recently opened Lawren Harris Square. The SQUARE has these clustered elements (bench, trees, lamppost) bordering the street and will provide an amazing open space when the trees get a bit bigger, suitable for markets, reflecting pools, art displays and apparently even small skating rinks. Seen against the backdrop of one of the buildings that will eventually surround this SQUARE on three sides they are really well scaled and remind me a bit of new northern European developments. It will make a great transition space between the PLAYGROUND to the north and the PARK to the south. I am sure that all of the previous posters realised these distinctions of space and purpose before commenting above. Right?

image-L.jpg

image-XL.jpg

The final coat of asphalt and lines were painted on Cherry St and Old Eastern Ave this past week...so fingers crossed that they will open up very soon :p

Eastern from Cherry to Lower River seems complete - any idea why it hasn't been re-opened?
They are still doing work at the rail bridge end - possibly connected to the condo building there. I also notice that the street under the bridge and south of it is in pretty poor shape. Ideally it will be fixed before they reopen it but .... WT has said it will reopen in "fall 2013' but their deadlines are VERY flexible.

This pic shows the whole length in question (looking west from the new square at Lower River & Eastern), and I'm not sure which rail bridge you're referring to.
They paved both Old Eastern Avenue and Cherry Street (and Sumach north of Eastern) last week. The rail bridge is on Cherry and I think that the work at that end of Cherry is why Cherry has not reopened yet. Another reason why BOTH roads have not yet opened MAY be because the lights are not yet working. (They weren't on last Monday but I have not been there after dark recently.) Clearly they are hoping to open them soon.

Those blocks to the left, are they going to build before pan American games begin, or they will develop later after the game ends ?

Last edited:
I wish we could develop new neighbourhoods throughout the 905 like the West Don Lands: dense, mixed-use, with a mid-rise built form and beautiful public spaces. That's what should be done around GO stations and other rapid transit, at least to start.

This is from the Construction Liaison Committee minutes of late September:

"6.3 The crews are working hard to finish the road and public realm from
Cherry Street from Lakeshore Blvd to Eastern Avenue. Trees have been
planted on both sides of the street and a few of the street lights are
operational. However, because of the major changes to the street, there
is a city conveyance process that must be completed before Cherry
Street can be reopened. Dundee/Kilmer/WT/IO are working with the city
to get this done as soon as possible but it will not be ready for October
DJ posed the question as to when will this go to community council and
City council. TD explained that the road has to be completed before a
report can be generated. Residents requested an approximate date this
will be completed and wondered if it could go to community council for