The photos show colour accents that people will see while interacting with the buildings. For instance, even that block with the dreary spandrels and big numbers on its facade has panels of red glass along the sidewalk. Some more colour would be better, but they didn't totally ignore the need for accents amidst all that grey.

Those floor numbers plastered on the building are freaking dumb. It looks like a preschool toy.

edit: also the building appears to be missing an 11th floor. Or perhaps the architect had trouble counting to 12.

Last edited:
or there is an 11th floor there and you can't see the number because it's hidden from view - just like the 9th floor

My previous photos were taken on a gloomy day, which certainly didn't help the perception of the neighbourhood as colourless, but I went back on Friday when the sun was out:

Your photos are great. Cheers.

I don't get what people are complaining about. The neighbourhood looks pretty darn good, and a lot less blue/grey/cold-looking than SouthCore.

Some of the temporary structures have begun to appear.

From the Canary District web cam.

tent.jpg

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 1,178
Can somebody tell me why these are set so far back from the street? I don't really care about the quality of the architecture or greyness, just happy to get some midrises, but I feel like the spacing on the street is too similar to "towers in the park". I don't think that this neighbourhood is going to cultivate the pedestrian and cyclist culture that they are supposedly aiming for. A huge part of the success of St. Lawrence is the quality of the pedestrian realm- shopfronts against the sidewalk and diverse uses. Today's economics may not have allowed for it, but we have an extremely successful blueprint for a neighbourhood development just west of here... why wasn't it emulated?!

Huh? The massive sidewalks with tons of trees, benches, Front St retail, public art, etc., will create an awesome pedestrian experience. Why think otherwise?

Not "towers in the park" looking at all to me. In fact the width that you see here is due to having a large sidewalk lined with two rows of trees precisely to enhance the pedestrian experience. Besides there's still a lot to be built out.

What is this City coming to? Now people are complaining about a grand street with retail and restaurants with patios on a massive sidewalk lined with tons of trees and public art solely designed for being out and about and socializing. Should have put the retail right up to the curb so the car drivers have far less steps to take, I guess. Come on now! This is in no way a "tower-in-a-park" haha.

P.S. Front St will be easier to close off for festivals and events the way it's designed.

Can somebody tell me why these are set so far back from the street? I don't really care about the quality of the architecture or greyness, just happy to get some midrises, but I feel like the spacing on the street is too similar to "towers in the park". I don't think that this neighbourhood is going to cultivate the pedestrian and cyclist culture that they are supposedly aiming for. A huge part of the success of St. Lawrence is the quality of the pedestrian realm- shopfronts against the sidewalk and diverse uses. Today's economics may not have allowed for it, but we have an extremely successful blueprint for a neighbourhood development just west of here... why wasn't it emulated?!

Where in this neighbourhood do you not see shops against the sidewalk? That's exactly what this neighbourhood will be, but with wider sidewalks, space for patios, space for art, and space for vendors. I do think the retail spaces could have been designed much better, however the pedestrian realm is everything you are asking for, so i'm confused as to what you are complaining about.

Last edited:
Where in this neighbourhood do you not see shops against the sidewalk? That's exactly what this neighbourhood will be, but with wider sidewalks, space for patios, space for art, and space for vendors. I do think the retail spaces could have been designed much better, however the pedestrian realm is everything you are asking for, so i'm confused as to what you are complaining about.

I haven't had the chance to sneak behind the fences (yet), but from what I can tell from the images, most of the commercial space on the street level seems to be glass boxes intended for Shoppers/TD/Tim Hortons. There are going to be 7 "health/fitness oriented" retailers and restaurants, but there's no guarantee of these not being corporate health and fitness retailers and restaurants (though one of these will be run by Dark Horse, which is a reason for optimism). Trees and wide sidewalks are great, but there is a point at which width can detract from the pedestrian experience. These are just some concerns I have. I realize that there is a lot of infill to be built in the area, and once that is in, the place will have a totally different feel. Based off of what has already been constructed, this will be leagues beyond Liberty Village or CityPlace. I'm hopeful.

We need to know what the perfect sidewalk width is!

Dundee promised that it wouldn't be crappy retail but rather a lot of destination retail and distinct shops and restaurants like their Distillery District project. We are supposed to expect more of the same here.

There was a long process around this issue, whether to have a sort of park in the middle of the street as in some older European cities, or something more like this that would allow uses connected with the shops, but with a piazza feel. That photo is unfortunate - snow, gray, empty - but dig around and you'll find some renderings showing it with trees, folk, cafes, etc., and it's not hard to imagine it would be a very nice spot.

Isn't the photo you're thinking of the extension of Front Street? The extension will include a wider, treed boulevard type of treatment. Aside from the aesthetic component, part of the purpose is to support ecological functions and provide better water infiltration in the area by increasing tree cover and providing permeable surfacing in some areas. The berm in the park took the lands out of the floodplain but they are still vulnerable to flooding so this I would imagine helps a bit with that.

Back