It will get its license... I have no doubt. It will be like Fox & Fiddle... where people were simply concerned about the noise. They promised to keep the music down late at night, and they ended up getting their license. The owner just needs to compromise a bit, and they will get their license just like Fox & Fiddle did.

Yeah - the Fox don't have any loud music on their patios at night

And the place will be called Bishop Landing as mentioned in the application - an homage to the airport down the street

And your point with this would be???

Isn't it ironic how everyone hates on City Place for not having much to do there other then sleep and when bars try to open up they complain that this is not a place for bars.

Did I say that a bar or restaurant doesn't belong there? :confused: My point is if you are gonna have a bar/restaurant, set some rules and keep it under control. Bars need not be crazily loud and chaotic. People live and sleep on top of these retail. I suggest you should experiment and live on top of a loud bar before expressing your opinion.

To be fair, the refusal seemed to indicate if they were willing to work with the condo board / area residents to address some of the concerns it could be OK.

Now if that's just a way of saying; You'll never get it, go away ... that's a real shame, and I'd be surprised Vaughan had that attitude ... his goal seemed to center around making his riding more then just the entertainment district at night, surely more restaurants / bars (not night clubs per say ... venues the close at say midnight ... but still serve alcohol like every other restaurant) help in this regard.

Otherwise I agree its very disheartening, what stance are we marking, restaurants cannot be in the base of condos ... that's terrible and doesn't make any sense !

Otherwise I agree its very disheartening, what stance are we marking, restaurants cannot be in the base of condos ... that's terrible and doesn't make any sense !

It certainly doesn't bode well for Restaurant Row, or really any restaurants in the Entertainment District.

The City cannot mandate how a business operates. On the one hand if they are willing to work with the area residents then they could be a responsible neighbourhood establishment and everyone is happy, on the other hand they can say whatever it takes to get the liquor license and then push limits that will drive residents crazy with noise until enough complaints are received that the bylaw officer can suspend or withdraw the license with evidence. I lean toward giving them the license and giving them a try in this neighbourhood, but Vaughan is the man who will take the heat if things go south here and there are a lot of voters within earshot of this restaurant.

So far we've seen positive and negative examples of restaurant integration in new condo buildings. Patria and Weslodge have fitted in well at Victory Condos (KW) and should serve as a standard for engaging retail placement. However, the liquor license dispute for the Real Jerk has indicated that residents resistance can also hinder possibilities. With dozens of new developments at various stages of the planning pipeline throughout downtown, hopefully new business improvement/community groups can be established to encourage accommodations for more diverse retail usages.

Last edited:
The Real Jerk thing is more than just a liquor license. I'm pretty sure if it was "Westlodge" there wouldn't be much of a fuss.

I suggest you should experiment and live on top of a loud bar before expressing your opinion.

I currently live 10 feet next to a bar. Within a one block radius there are 2 bars, 4 restaurants and 1 club in Montreal's Monkland village. And when I lived in Toronto I was right at the corner of Yonge and College with the Hoops bar right across the street. Think twice before you assume anything.

The Real Jerk thing is more than just a liquor license. I'm pretty sure if it was "Westlodge" there wouldn't be much of a fuss.

You're right. I believe there may be reasons that include racial undertones for the opposition they are facing. I just remembered that "London on the Esplanade" features The Keg Steakhouse at its base, with a pretty loud and noisy atmosphere inside.

I currently live 10 feet next to a bar. Within a one block radius there are 2 bars, 4 restaurants and 1 club in Montreal's Monkland village. And when I lived in Toronto I was right at the corner of Yonge and College with the Hoops bar right across the street. Think twice before you assume anything.

You made a choice to live in party central, kudos to you. But don't cuss on those who don't share the same interest. If Cityplace folks want that, they wouldn't be living in Cityplace.

"Yonge and College"...exactly what I said Cityplace isn't. It is a residential area, not a major intersection along the city's most dense street. I am unfamiliar with Monkland village in Montreal, so no comment on that.

You made a choice to live in party central, kudos to you. But don't cuss on those who don't share the same interest. If Cityplace folks want that, they wouldn't be living in Cityplace.

"Yonge and College"...exactly what I said Cityplace isn't. It is a residential area, not a major intersection along the city's most dense street. I am unfamiliar with Monkland village in Montreal, so no comment on that.

By living in CityPlace, I pretty much assume one should expect the noisy, obnoxious chain bar/restaurant scene. The whole place caters to 905 transplants whose idea of going out and culture are places like East Beaver Creek up in Markham, or a night out in the Club District; arriving via limousine no less. Am I generalizing? Maybe, but that's certainly the vibe CP gives off.

By living in CityPlace, I pretty much assume one should expect the noisy, obnoxious chain bar/restaurant scene. The whole place caters to 905 transplants whose idea of going out and culture are places like East Beaver Creek up in Markham, or a night out in the Club District; arriving via limousine no less. Am I generalizing? Maybe, but that's certainly the vibe CP gives off.

I'm assuming you're not a CP resident. If so, you would know that this may be true for a some of its residents, not the majority. Even if they are club-goers, hoppers or whatever, it doesn't mean you want one right at your doorstep. I currently live in Markham, and I enjoy the social life of Hwy 7/Beaver Creek. But it doesn't mean I have to live in the area. My house is a mere 5 min drive away.

When I was living in Cityplace pretty much everyone there wished they had a strip of bars and restaurants at their doorstep. Those windows are VERY soundproof.
Most of the residents just probably have no clue that this "dialogue" is going on

When I was living in Cityplace pretty much everyone there wished they had a strip of bars and restaurants at their doorstep. Those windows are VERY soundproof.
Most of the residents just probably have no clue that this "dialogue" is going on

I personally would not want bars at my doorstep regardless of how soundproof the windows are. There is always the chance of turning off potential buyers when it is time to sell.

Back