You are comparing Ontario's largest residential developer and their bottomless pockets to a company's first introduction into the mid-rise market. Daniels does not profit on the first-home developments; they are used to garner leverage for their high-rise endeavors.

I will agree that there are merits to the Daniels design. I believe it is worth pointing out the postive attributes to a design (the glass railings, the dark cementboard siding contrasting the light stone) rathen than focussing on the negatives (the hokey false peak and gable vent to nowhere). But keep in mind if everything looked like Daniels it would be a pretty mundane city.

Vandyk should be commended for trying something a little different, even if it isn't to everyone's liking. It looks like their upcoming developments have a bit more refined design than this one (at least the renderings appear so).

Daniels built beautiful affordable townhomes in Mississauga. This should be the benchmark for design -

2llhp8l.jpg

now that is one I would agree. you cannot even compare these Vandyk to Daniels, especially Daniels have used the same low cost construction finishes and yet the appearance looks expensive.

So what did you think that horizontal material was on the promotional renderings? non-siding?

Keeping in mind that there are economical reasons for wood-frame construction, in your opinions, what type of cladding material would be satisfactory? Stone the entire facade? Yeah, i'm sure that would look elegant. Glass curtainwall? Precast concrete?

Open your minds a little and respect that this developer is trying to do something a little different than the colonial ripoff townhouses that infest this city.

no arguments here, but point well taken. have you ever thought of long-term on this building? the roof would require constant maintenance - those shingles wouldnt last for 25 years. why not using most advanced shingles to last longer than average. wood-frame construction these are normal for homes but for low-rise buildings, i do not think so especially thinking about fire ratings. i am aware they are fire rated at each units, but still, it wouldnt last long and would require 1/4 of the building (not just the units) to be re-fixed. upper, lower and side units would be affected. i applaud vandyk for being different, in reality, material finishes are questionable which is not even matching closely to the renderings.

You are comparing Ontario's largest residential developer and their bottomless pockets to a company's first introduction into the mid-rise market. Daniels does not profit on the first-home developments; they are used to garner leverage for their high-rise endeavors.

I will agree that there are merits to the Daniels design. I believe it is worth pointing out the postive attributes to a design (the glass railings, the dark cementboard siding contrasting the light stone) rathen than focussing on the negatives (the hokey false peak and gable vent to nowhere). But keep in mind if everything looked like Daniels it would be a pretty mundane city.

Vandyk should be commended for trying something a little different, even if it isn't to everyone's liking. It looks like their upcoming developments have a bit more refined design than this one (at least the renderings appear so).

it does not matter in comparison, just are the costs is the issue here. all developers are finding ways to save much money as possible, but at the same time, all developers try to beautify their portfolio for further portfolios to implement, which is the most important. Daniels beautified their low cost townhouses with best choice of materials, and appearance of it paid off. for vandyk, admit it, take a look at stuccos, looks like it has been painted on a plywood?? they should have done it better... and sidings, really? going back to 1990s... there are modern sidings to choose from which can go cheaper or same to the sidings they are using now.

Wood construction for this type is nothing new. Think of it as a slightly larger townhouse complex. Shingles will start to fail well before 25 years (10 most likely) but that is not uncommon (even almigthy Daniels uses shingles). But get used to the wood construction, it isn't going away, and will be 6-storeys by next year.

I agree the space in between the balconies are the weaker parts of this design, but there are also elements of this design you don't see in projects of this scale. The 4-storey glass stairwells look good, the rooflines on the corners are intersting. The main entrance to the building is where they spent the money, it really looks good (and almost exactly like the renderings if i remember correct).

Focus on the positive everyone.

Here is a clearer picture of the front entrance from the architects website:

42a5b0_551781a44731a23db7565a81df804927.jpg_srb_868_507_75_22_0.50_0.20_0.00_jpg_srb

Looks good so far :D

Back