News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not sure about that. Most of the women I date have extremely low standards.

If you want to pick up in a park go to Allen Gardens at midnight. Guarenteed success, although I reccommend asking some tough questions early on in the relationship...

Anyway, there's a great little parkette at Logan and Danforth that is full of people on nice days.

I was at Trinity-Bellwoods this past Saturday throwing a football around with some friends, and as urbandreamer said, people were openly drinking beer and smoking pot throughout the park, including some people in our group ;)

And actually we met quite a number of girls, all of which initiated contact with us, which surprised me...

^Yeah, T-B's is becoming a real asset to the city.:D I don't bother picking up girls in bars anymore; in the day light, you can judge better in the park. Last Friday and Saturday were fantastic! I've got some girl stalking me around Toronto--well, the Queen/Ossington/Parkdale area anyhow. I don't find it creepy==it's interesting.:D I wish more parks would become like this one--like Christie Pits, is for now, the pits....:( High Park is okay on weekdays, but during the weekend people are so intent on working out. Having a dog with you helps, I've found.

Well, I'm not disagreement however, the girls typically in Montreal have much lower standards than those in Toronto. That may have something to do with their relative ease. Their interest lies more with a sugar daddy that will treat them like a queen. That usually involves someone of a lesser quality to themselves. More class than the puck bunnies of Southern Ontario though.

I woudlnt' say lower standards, but just more open to having a conversation with another dude. Toronto is notorious for 'conservative' women - it's true! That being said, we're also known to have the highest percentage of beauties around (things might change after my trip to copenhagen though).

I'm a park whore (as in I use parks like it's going out of style). I couldn't care less if others don't use them til they burst but I don't understand the comparison.

Their use is not a function of the parks themselves but of the larger societal culture. And then what are we comparing? Yes, Montreal is a different place than Toronto is. Always has been, always will be. The point?

You guys talk of drinking beers, smoking weed, and picking up. I don't think there exists a park where me and my friends have been that we haven't engaged in such behaviour. I don't know....maybe in some parts of Toronto people are too good as citizens to drink in a park? I'm not. I'm just a dude who enjoys life. And therein may lie the difference between park use here and in MTL. Perhaps Toronto lacks a sufficient number of dudes and chicks who love life and understand the value of sitting around under a tree on a nice day, drinking some wine, smoking some Belmonts and enjoying the fact that you are alive.
In which case, I still don't care because I enjoy life and am not going to punish myself because others don't.

Up the park!

You know I think there are some great points to be made in this thread. I spent an enjoyable afternoon at Trinity-Bellwoods park recently myself and I think it is developing into a great urban park experience. However, wouldn't this thread be better if it started out as "Toronto parks and what we can learn from great Montreal Park experiences" or something like that? Share your positive experiences and if you would like to emulate something you've seen elsewhere just do it or organize something. Oh, and urbandreamer keep working hard to break down that social barrier, I'm with you brother. However, I'm increasingly learning that the barrier is an illusion in our own mind. A woman sat down beside me on a bench where I was reading. The sun went behind a cloud so I turned to her and said "hey, what did you do with the sun?". Stupid perhaps but hey she laughed and transitioning to conversation was pretty easy afterwards.

[video=youtube;kxQNwcnArE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxQNwcnArE4[/video]

Cherry beach

^How the hell could I have forgotten that?

Not to mention how much crazier it's been down there in the past.

Promise parties are still on. Sundays from sometime in the afternoon. They should be starting up again in May...but I'm not certain. May not be til June.

Most other parties that used to be thrown there are gone now since they started putting in the football pitches three or four years ago, because that's where they took place for the most part.

There are still random ones here and there on Fridays and Saturdays but unless you're already there or know of one for sure, don't bother trying to go down to see if you can find one. That'd be like playing the lottery.

Check out the Toronto parks thread, there are a hundred or so photos taken last summer of downtown parks. Most were taken during the week in the afternoons so they're not as busy as they'd be on say, a weekend or a warm summers' eve.

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?9123-Toronto-Parks

As a montrealer, who has visited Toronto on hundreds of occasions, i can't think of what parks you are refering to that are used more often than in Toronto. Other than the parks on the mountain, the parks in montreal are generally used by homeless people.
Place du Canada park right in the center of the city is a disgrace and no one ever bothers with it. Lafontaine park, thought parts of it are beautiful, is rarely cleaned by the city and for it's size is not used that often other than on St-Jean day.
Trust me when i say this, Montreal parks are not used more often than Toronto parks, but i wouldn't go as far as saying they are used alot less. It's fairly even.
The issue with Montreal parks is that they are used regularly by homeless people and i recall of 2 parks last year that were completely gated off from the public.

Having lived in both cities (in both cases near, but not quite in, downtown in neighbourhoods constructed in the 1910s and 1920s), I find the parks here are better used. Because there are better facilities. More ice rinks. More community centres with parks. More city swimming pools next to parks. More playground equipment - and better maintained. I can't remember the last time I went into the closest park to me here, on a sunny day, and found it empty; that is not true in Montreal.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, both ways, in both cities ... but I question the premise.

Back