Hey I'm not the one asking for it-- this is a city where we put signs on the road to tell people not to play ball hockey. I personally think it looks great, I just can't see the city building this as rendered. Hopefully whatever barrier they do end up putting in is tasteful and in line with the vision here.
The comment wasn't directed at you, or anyone on this board. I remember some years ago, there was a Safety Justice League (?) representative, who made a big stink about the slopes and lack of fencing and warning signs on the wave decks at Harboufront!

My comment is more reactionary to the type of fear thinking we have in Toronto.

The comment wasn't directed at you, or anyone on this board. I remember some years ago, there was a Safety Justice League (?) representative, who made a big stink about the slopes and lack of fencing and warning signs on the wave decks at Harboufront!

My comment is more reactionary to the type of fear thinking we have in Toronto.

I think a fence around that pool area is unavoidable given the height difference (from the rendering it looks like 1 story higher than the pool area). This is a different situation than the Rees wavedeck you're referring to.

AoD

Yeah, that’s one of my first thoughts- because I was super excited about the ferry terminal and the first parliament site, but understand that lack of funding has left projects hanging

Anyone seen any info on funding? I've looked through the capital budget as recently as the February Board meeting, and there was no mention of this project specifically, unless it's being accounted for under the aspirational "Signature Projects" bucket.

This is how WT's capital project planning has been structured for a while now:
  • Priority Projects ($814 million) largely Port Lands Flood Protection (funded); 
  • Next Generation Sustainable Communities ($178 million) including Quayside (funded); and 
  • Signature Projects ($333 million) - aspirational projects dependent on the success of the fundraising strategy set out in the Fundraising Action Plan (largely unfunded).
WT has been planning a fundraising strategy to begin tackling the Signature Projects for at least a year, and staffing/resourcing for execution was one of the items for Board approval at a recent meeting.

An unobstructed pedestrian boardwalk on the east side of Harbourfront that utilizes old industrial ports and whatnot is most desirable here, IMO. And one where we can walk from Yonge to The Beaches without ever really having to negotiate around motor powered traffic to save our lives. So this bridge is very good step towards that vision. Bring it on, please!

This sort of destination would benefit retail, cafe etc. animation along the east side of Aqualuna. 💰

28152-96979.jpeg

UT

I am discomfitted that I wasn't informed of this meeting.

Last edited:
I am discomfitted that I wasn't informed of this meeting.
You should ask Superman, Wonder Woman, the Green Lantern, Aquaman, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, Shazam, or any of your other colleagues if they have attended.

You should ask Superman, Wonder Woman, the Green Lantern, Aquaman, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, Shazam, or any of your other colleagues if they have attended.

Poor Red Tornado and Dr. Fate, always being overlooked.

It's nice to finally see some sort of attraction that both Torontonians and tourists can enjoy. A central waterfront is too important to just be used for condos and office space, which can go anywhere in the city. This is a good start but I would like to see much more, including entertainment and a major cultural attraction. I do not want CityPlace 2 on our last strip of downtown waterfront. Let's have some FUN Toronto.

Are these plans just for stuff that will be built within the current footprint of the slip? Or would they use some of the Quayside land for it?

I wouldn't put it past the city to put one of those cheap, ugly, grey chain link fences from Home Depot around the pool.

Back