News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Covid aside, I think cost of living is another factor people will need to take in account when choosing to do daily commutes and potentially spending on coffee and lunch, or just staying at home. Even more so for those who take GO transit in and out of the city, everything adds up. When you have people WFH for about 2 years then they get acclimated to that model so spending on commutes isn't just an automatic thing to get right back into. Especially with other aspects of life getting more expensive to deal with.

Couple coffees.. plus lunch...that's 20 bucks. Do that every day that's 100 bucks a week. Restaurant prices have gone up but the food portion sizes have gotten smaller and smaller over the past couple years. i had to switch up my go to take out places because I'm not getting value.Yet they wonder why people are staying home to eat or bringing a lunch from home.

Couple coffees.. plus lunch...that's 20 bucks. Do that every day that's 100 bucks a week. Restaurant prices have gone up but the food portion sizes have gotten smaller and smaller over the past couple years. i had to switch up my go to take out places because I'm not getting value.Yet they wonder why people are staying home to eat or bringing a lunch from home.

Yeah, I've been scaling back from restaurant outings. Or for bars, just doing more pre-drinking ahead of time.

Also add in the cost of transit. A TTC monthly pass is $156/month for adults, or if paying by regular fare comes to $6.40 there and back per day combined on Presto. Or possibly up to the $20 per day round trip on GO transit.

When everything else is getting more expensive, then all that adds up and makes a big difference.

My friend and I will each save at least $700 a month after tax once our office lease ends in August. I worked a couple of days there recently, and I realized just how annoying it is to schlepp my carcass back and forth in a sardine can (even if Bay & Bloor to Yonge & Adelaide can hardly be called commuting). I suppose when I was younger I liked the energy of the core and the 2-hour lunches, but I can work wherever I want and clients never drop by anyway, so I can't be bothered anymore.

I like going to the office. Because I only go once (sometimes twice) a week at most, I take the time to go for a nice lunch, which I can't really do when I'm working from home. It's gotten more expensive, sure, but going for a nice lunch once a week is still cheaper (and I enjoy it more) than going to a food court five days a week.

I don't have to worry about commute, though, since I walk.

Wonder what are the odds they return to 88 Queens Quay as well
The Exchange tower with their indoor "patio" would be an interesting one to see reopen too. With that space and the McCafe across the hall both closed it makes for a big dead zone, plus it's not like there's much of a market for Ladureé which I am shocked even reopened given it's usual daily near-zero customers, so that area could use something. to open up.

I go to work in one of the big towers five days a week, and the difference in foot traffic between days is incredible. Mid-week days are not quite what they used to be before the pandemic, but are really busy. Mondays are like half, and on Fridays it's a ghost town down there.

Even the Dukes decided to bail, probably because they lost the Fridays. Strangely they bailed just before the World Cup, which actually brought a lot of people into downtown bars.

Even the Dukes decided to bail, probably because they lost the Fridays. Strangely they bailed just before the World Cup, which actually brought a lot of people into downtown bars.
The writing is on the wall for FiDi. RBC thought all the banks would follow their lead, they did not.

Even urbanists here want to work from home all the time. A decade of tough transitions is coming.

Yeah, I come to work voluntarily five days a week, but our actual requirement is 2 days, which many people don't even follow. I work on a floor built for around 200 people in common/shared space, and most days there are fewer than 20. On Fridays it might be 3-5.

People still want to live downtown, so I think the neighbourhoods close to downtown where there are lots of restaurants and services will thrive, but the core will probably empty out quite a bit other than restaurants that will do a good lunch business Tuesday through Thursday. The lunch business on those days seems to be doing really well these days, because people do use their one or two days downtown to meet up with people.

I did a walk around,, and counted about 30 people. So a sixth of our capacity on our busiest day.

But there’s a lineup to get into king taps.

Back