News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

View attachment 485351

Was doing a search for the old Master Plan of Pearson to find the pier layout and came across this new to me rendering, from Gensler, a global architecture firm.

Not sure what is being shared here, a project they were hired for or something proposed, but I haven't seen this layout for terminals before.

Caption: Toronto Pearson International Airport Terminal 1 Redevelopment & Expansion Programme, Mississauga, Canada

Source: https://www.gensler.com/design-forecast-2022-aviation?q=pearson

Edit: NM, this is a rendering from the 2019 proposal for Pier G! Source.

If I recall the work on the gate 193/pier g expansion was planned or started just before covid hit. Thus covid had put a damper on that project. I'm not aware of it starting up again

Really? I would have thought they would put the pumps off to the side of the 409 where all the cars are pulled off to the side of the road under the no stopping signs.
Ha! Good point. If they installed with a long enough hose, an attendant could walk it down the line. I've never understood that and can't understand why the police/GTAA tacitly allow it.

Was talking with an aircraft mechanic there the other week, and he said that some of the new tugs at Pearson were electric but currently charged with diesel generators because they don't have the grid connections to support them. While that sounds ridiculous on the surface, it does actually burn less fuel as the generators run efficiently at a constant load, versus the endlessly varying loads of an operational vehicle. Hopefully they'll get some proper charging infrastructure installed sooner rather than later. Also, once a mechanic starts their shift they are not allowed to shut off their truck, it idles for the entire shift. Now there's a good use case for an EV...

If I recall the work on the gate 193/pier g expansion was planned or started just before covid hit. Thus covid had put a damper on that project. I'm not aware of it starting up again
This is probably an utterly naive question, so apologies for my ignorance. But - the original design for Terminal One showed it from above as being a semicircle, unlike the quarter of a circle we have now. It seems like plans have been being made for all sorts of additions and such around it, but does anyone know if there is any plans at all to complete it as the original 180 degree number? Or has that been thrown out for the hammerhead pier, etc.?

This is probably an utterly naive question, so apologies for my ignorance. But - the original design for Terminal One showed it from above as being a semicircle, unlike the quarter of a circle we have now. It seems like plans have been being made for all sorts of additions and such around it, but does anyone know if there is any plans at all to complete it as the original 180 degree number? Or has that been thrown out for the hammerhead pier, etc.?

The plans have changed and are constantly being changed, so it's hard to pin down what the current plan is or what the eventual build will look like.

The original plan from the late 90's is more than likely off the table. As to whether the build out the airport as shown in the most recent master plan or simply build another pier on the other side of the hammerhead I don't think that's been revealed by the GTAA

There was one plan, that showed T3 gone, but part of T2 running that way instead. Another showed a connection. Plans change.

Unless you completely reworked the road network, you'd never get the full 180 degree terminal. We'd likely get as far as Silver Dart drive and terminate it there. Even then, that farthest-east pier (alongside Silver Dart running south east) would only have jet bridges on the south-west side so it would be a half pier at most.

I recently flew through Pearson... it would be nice if they built out pier G properly for transborder traffic so pier F could handle the increasing international flights/airlines demand.
SWISS begins flying 5 weekly with the A330 from May 2024.

I recently flew through Pearson... it would be nice if they built out pier G properly for transborder traffic so pier F could handle the increasing international flights/airlines demand.
SWISS begins flying 5 weekly with the A330 from May 2024.

I think it'll be many years before Pearson goes about any expansion again. Air Canada, WestJet, and Pearson all have a lot more debt today than they were projecting in 2019, and revenue is still well below 2019 due largely to reduced business class travel. That's not a combination that allows for new capital investment.

Last edited:
pretty ballsy from the pilot not to abort the landing after the first bounce... that couldve ended pretty badly if it bounced the other way.

He was probably past the cutoff point to abort the landing.

At a certain point, they need to either commit or abort after which time they are dealing with the consequences of whatever actions they took. It may have been riskier to abort the landing than it would have been to commit to it.

Back