News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Yes that seems to be the case- I wonder if it wasn't supposed to be made completely available in the first place- not that it would have an information that might be misconstrued or such..? Nonetheless, I cannot repost the link, because I didn't download the PDF's in order to host and repost..

p5

Looks like its back up now:)

I assume there was some kind of a technical problem with the site, only a few of the sections where working before.

GTAA Rent Reduction Deal

Looks like there will finally be a reduction in rent that YYZ pays to the federal government....

GOVERNMENT OF CANADA SIGNS AGREEMENT WITH THE GREATER TORONTO AIRPORTS AUTHORITY, PROVIDING LONG-TERM RENT REDUCTION

No. H 043/08
For release - February 15, 2008

OTTAWA — The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance and Minister Responsible for the Greater Toronto Area, today announced that an agreement on airport rent has been reached between the Government of Canada and the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA).

"The signing of the amended rent agreement with the GTAA is the last step in implementing the Airport Rent Policy," said Minister Cannon. "This policy provides a reduction in long-term costs for the GTAA and supports its ongoing financial viability."

The current airport rent policy has already led to considerable savings for airport authorities across the country, helping the air industry remain competitive. However, under the GTAA's previous lease, rent would have more than doubled in 2012 to almost $400 million annually. The Government of Canada and the GTAA have agreed to amend the rent arrangement to reflect the current rent policy adopted by all other airport authorities. This new agreement, which came into effect on January 1, 2008, reduces the rent payable by approximately $12 million in 2008 and $18 million in 2009.

"The announcement being made today is not only good news for the GTAA and Pearson International Airport, it is good news for the travellers and businesses using Canada's busiest airport," said Minister Flaherty. "Cost effective air travel is an essential component of a strong and growing national economy."

The Government of Canada's current airport rent policy is the result of extensive study and analysis which aims for a balance between a fair return to taxpayers and the financial viability and competitiveness of the air industry.

"The federal government continually monitors the health of the Canadian air industry, and strives to ensure that Canadian policies are designed to promote the health of the air sector and meet the needs of the travelling public," added Minister Cannon.

The rent formula is based on modern commercial leasing principles and is in line with other rent formulas within the Government of Canada and the private sector. The formula uses a progressive scale based on airport gross revenues to set out a more modern and equitable rent for the 21 rent-paying airports across Canada. The Airport Rent Policy will result in close to $8 billion of relief for Canada's airport authorities over the course of their existing leases and will address inequities in the system.

GTAA top 10 domestic destinations
1. Montreal 2. Vancouver 3. Ottawa 4. Calgary 5. Halifax 6. Winnipeg 7. Edmonton 8. Thunder Bay 9. London 10. Windsor

The ones in bold should be much reduced by high speed rail with a huge saving in carbon emissions but London should close enough that even a half decent regional rail service would eliminate the rationale for it. However, this would also deprive GTAA of all those lovely passenger terminal charges!

This is a bit OT as pertaining to Toronto Pearson Airport, but I thought I would share an e-mail a friend in the airline business has sent me ....some of you may know, yesterday was the grand opening of Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 (designed by Norman Foster), and it seems that they have had some problems...

I am not posting this to make fun of the Brits, it's just that sometimes, as Canadians, we tend be a bit insecure towards our own accomplishments..nevertheless, I do recall, that after very extensive testing, our own new Terminal 1 opened in Toronto without any serious glitches....contrast that surprising efficiency to this report from Heathrow...(just remember, this is an uncorroborated e-mail)..

"Terminal 5 is a Disaster......

Today was utter chaos at the new terminal. The luggage system
stopped working with all passengers currently being advised
NOT to bring checked in luggage!!!

Thirty four flights have been completely cancelled.

People were trapped in lifts

Escalators broke down

Signboarding gave the WRONG information....passengers being told to
wait in main lounge and then suddenly to hurry to their aircraft that
was just about to depart, and when they arrived at the gate only
to find out the flight had already left...except...

...the ones where the fingers to the aircraft would not dis-engage!

And inbound was not much better, with people waiting from 2 to 4 hours
for their luggage to appear, if it even made it as far as the reclaim halls!

I know all new things have unforseen problems even after extensive
testing, but the sheer amount of problems that occurred here, defies
belief. Yet this was being hailed as the most efficient terminal in the
world!

On BA's website they're talking about possible flight cancellations for
the next 4 days."

The email is definitely accurate. There was an article about it on the BBC. The GTAA definitely did an excellent job of startup on the new terminal.

New airports in Denver and Hong Kong also faced massive technical problems in their first few months, but they got over them.

Wow, I had no idea about T5. What an embarrassment! They couldn't have possibly done a proper test run, otherwise these problems would have come to light.

After Chek Lap Kok opened in Hong Kong, many flights were moved back to Kai Tak temporarily due to technical issues.

I just watched a documentary on T5 last night that was aired last week in the UK. This one terminal alone handles more passengers than all of Pearson, so it's not surprised there's some startup problems.

What I am surprised about is if these baggage issues are true, because they have two identical baggage handling systems, one only for backup purposes - so it's strange that BOTH systems have failed.

Actually, Heathrow T5 is designed by Richard Rogers, not Foster; and in the case of Chep Lap Kok international, the Kai Tak airside systems (runways, etc) were never reopened - it's only the HACTL air cargo terminals that did, so that they can get the cargo superterminal at the new airport sorted out.

AoD

GTAA top 10 domestic destinations
1. Montreal 2. Vancouver 3. Ottawa 4. Calgary 5. Halifax 6. Winnipeg 7. Edmonton 8. Thunder Bay 9. London 10. Windsor

The ones in bold should be much reduced by high speed rail with a huge saving in carbon emissions but London should close enough that even a half decent regional rail service would eliminate the rationale for it. However, this would also deprive GTAA of all those lovely passenger terminal charges!

Here's what I would support:

The high speed rail stop will be at Malton, and connected to the airport by extending the cable car train and converting it to ICTS or something similar. GTAA could charge passengers $5 for riding it.

If they go the route of a PPP, GTAA will be allowed to buy a share in the company so that dividends go straight to them.

I hope they don't use the competition to rail as an excuse to raise landing fees...again.

If we're going to go through the trouble of building a high-speed line, we've got to do the Pearson connection right and just build the station right at the terminal. All the European high-speed lines have direct connections, like Schiphol, CDG, Lyon, Frankfurt, etc. Brussels is building one right now, along with Montreal.

Back