News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Does that version of North America include Mexico City? I'm sure it does, but it is probably fairly up there too.

It's quite a bit lower at 17 Million.

YYZs recent growth is a combination of joint venture agreements (which make it beneficial for United to push customers onto Air Canada transatlantic flights) and Pearson offering a fixed-price on landing fees to Air Canada (and WestJet) when they hit growth targets. Each USA <-> Europe passenger is +2 for the International count at YYZ. JFK gaining the same passenger is only +1.

Also, as the crow flies, I believe Buffalo is much closer to Toronto than Seattle is to Vancouver (229 km and not much different between modes). Whereas the drive to BUffalo is usually 90-120 minutes (170 km), whereas some Buffalo guys show up in my Grindr about 86 km away. So it would be a crazy short flight.

If it were to happen, I can see the impetus being more on the Buffalo side than ours (sort of like the Rochester ferry). I love Buffalo, but most Torontonians don't (or are misinformed at least).

I checked the distance as the crow flies from BUF to YTZ; it's 94 km (58 miles) whereas SEA to YVR is 205 km (128 miles).

The lake gets in the way of a direct drive to Buffalo; by air, it's actually quite a short distance. Are there a lot of commercial flights in the 100 km range?

I checked the distance as the crow flies from BUF to YTZ; it's 94 km (58 miles) whereas SEA to YVR is 205 km (128 miles).

The lake gets in the way of a direct drive to Buffalo; by air, it's actually quite a short distance. Are there a lot of commercial flights in the 100 km range?

At that range you could probably just a Helicopter or Autogyro.

At that range you could probably just a Helicopter or Autogyro.

Drive time is the "competition", so I would evaluate it by that. Toronto - Buffalo is about 2 hours, while Vancouver - Seattle is about 2:45.

Seattle is a bit further, plus is a much larger, more economically diverse centre. Buffalo is a metro region of barely a million that has a declining population and little in the way of strong economic activity.

Buffalo - Toronto flights would be quite fun though - especially if you could use them to transfer to cheap US domestic flights.

Vancouver to Victoria is shorter (at least in terms of Airport distance). Lots of flights between those 2 cities.

Knightstone Capital Management Inc. Acquires the Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport from Marriott International, Inc.
Good to see it will be renovated and upgraded but I think all that has changed is the ownership . It seems it will still be managed by Sheraton. (Hotel companies seem to be unloading lots of properties recently and concentrating on hotel management.)

Quick question for flight nerds:

Why doesn't Pearson have any direct flights to Buffalo? For instance, there are 20 daily flights between Seattle and Vancouver for a comparable distance. Also, I believe Air Canada had flights from Toronto to Rochester and Syracuse a few years back.

Considering that you need to be at Pearson 2 hours before an international flight, and the commute to Pearson takes around 30 minutes to an hour from any point in the GTA - you could likely be in Buffalo before you would even get on a plane if you chose to drive instead of fly.

Seattle to Vancouver (230 km downtown to downtown) is also much farther than Buffalo to Toronto (160 km downtown to downtown)

I came back from Sydney the week before last, and was actually impressed by the speed of baggage reclaim in T1. It took about half an hour from landing to getting my suitcase, which is a huge improvement. Not exactly HK or Sydney speed, but going in the right direction.

Back