Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 1X2

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 14 260765 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Dec 5, 2014

Project: Multiple-Use Building Conversion

Description: Proposal to convert portion of 3rd floor from commericial to 8 residential units( a total of 410 residential units), the commercial on the ground and second floor will be maintained, related to 12-246001- construction of a 39-storey mixed-use building

Naw, the renderings show that section being grey instead of white. Some of the "floating" sections are grey, others (most) are white.

Naw, the renderings show that section being grey instead of white. Some of the "floating" sections are grey, others (most) are white.

Indeed. I couldn't find any renderings of the grey, but it's clear in the model:

urbantoronto-4815-14634.jpg

By: Craig White from http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/01/scale-model-picasso-condos-reveals-more-teeple-playfulness

Personally I think I would have preferred that they just stuck with the white, as the facade is just busy enough as it is. It's looks much cleaner and sharper in the renderings that don't show the grey.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification! I also found a rendering with the grey if anyone wants to see.

9PRO2yu.jpg

Definitely agree that keeping it white would have looked a little bit less busy but loving this project nevertheless!

Attachments

• 9PRO2yu.jpg
    9PRO2yu.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 899
all white would be swell, but I'm liking the grey, this building is busy... thats its thing and thats what is nice about it. The shapes and colour blocking are good. Its busy, but still really clean. Gives you lots to look at, but allows enough space to process what you are seeing. I'm a little underwhelmed by the western side of the podium, there is nothing going on there at all. I assume it is because Gloss will be right there blocking that portion anyways soon enough.

Wow. Imagine more contemporary buildings used non-glass cladding once in a while? I wonder how differently the city would look now.

This is yet another reminder how regrettable the all-glass approach is.

Not all glass / glass buildings are made equal.

Nobody said they are. But when the vast majority of an entire building boom are window-wall clad towers, there is a clear issue.

Building scientists and architects know the dangers of window-wall towers. But building codes are relatively lax, and developers get away with it time and time again. We don't build window-wall towers because they are the superior design choice. It's done because it's cheap, easy, and what consumers have come to expect. Everyone has been conditioned to purchase and tolerate a high level of window-wall construction. But it's going to have to change.

I'd be lying if I said that I don't enjoy many aspects of "glass" towers. There are some benefits that a high degree of glazing brings to a project, and visually, it can be very stunning. But I'm not going to defend something on a large, broad scale, when I know how reckless and irresponsible it is. If it weren't for strong lobbyists holding back the environmental standards that we hold development to in this country, things would be very different.

Go take a look through the architectural journals and blogs of the current moment, around the world. Window-wall towers are not the cutting-edge. In fact, the majority of the most respected multi-residential projects around the world in 2014 do not resemble the Toronto approach at all. Picasso is a step in the right direction in 2014.

Last edited:
Nobody said they are. But when the vast majority of an entire building boom are window-wall clad towers, there is a clear issue.

Building scientists and architects know the dangers of window-wall towers. But building codes are relatively lax, and developers get away with it time and time again. We don't build window-wall towers because they are the superior design choice. It's done because it's cheap, easy, and what consumers have come to expect. Everyone has been conditioned to purchase and tolerate a high level of window-wall construction. But it's going to have to change.

I'd be lying if I said that I don't enjoy many aspects of "glass" towers. There are some benefits that a high degree of glazing brings to a project, and visually, it can be very stunning. But I'm not going to defend something on a large, broad scale, when I know how reckless and irresponsible it is. If it weren't for strong lobbyists holding back the environmental standards that we hold development to in this country, things would be very different.

Go take a look through the architectural journals and blogs of the current moment, around the world. Window-wall towers are not the cutting-edge. In fact, the majority of the most respected multi-residential projects around the world in 2014 do not resemble the Toronto approach at all. Picasso is a step in the right direction in 2014.

I do look through architectural journals and blogs of the current moment. I am aware of international tendencies. I know window-wall towers are not cutting edge. I also know that glass is not inherently evil and that there are systems that are more sustainable than what's commonly used here. That said, I was responding to arvelomcqaig's constant, repetitive harping about glass buildings without nuance. I get the sense that he thinks we should be building a series of Neuschwanstein Castles in downtown Toronto. I find his comments rather...perfunctory.

Check the thread in Buildings, Architecture, and Design regarding Ontario Building Code changes. Future buildings in Toronto will not be allowed to have greater than 40% window glass in the exterior wall of condo units. Picasso will become the norm. By the way this code is already in effect. We don't see the difference yet because buildings under construction were approved prior to the changes.

Back