Check the thread in Buildings, Architecture, and Design regarding Ontario Building Code changes. Future buildings in Toronto will not be allowed to have greater than 40% window glass in the exterior wall of condo units. Picasso will become the norm. By the way this code is already in effect. We don't see the difference yet because buildings under construction were approved prior to the changes.

Great, because Picasso looks waaay better than 90% of the all glass condos, in my opinion (as does Gehry).

Check the thread in Buildings, Architecture, and Design regarding Ontario Building Code changes. Future buildings in Toronto will not be allowed to have greater than 40% window glass in the exterior wall of condo units. Picasso will become the norm. By the way this code is already in effect. We don't see the difference yet because buildings under construction were approved prior to the changes.

Great, because Picasso looks waaay better than 90% of the all glass condos, in my opinion (as does Gehry).

I doubt Picasso will become the norm. With the new building code, most developers will simply use more spandrel in lieu of glass.

15387600180_a9cb1400cf_z.jpg

I do look through architectural journals and blogs of the current moment. I am aware of international tendencies. I know window-wall towers are not cutting edge. I also know that glass is not inherently evil and that there are systems that are more sustainable than what's commonly used here. That said, I was responding to arvelomcqaig's constant, repetitive harping about glass buildings without nuance. I get the sense that he thinks we should be building a series of Neuschwanstein Castles in downtown Toronto. I find his comments rather...perfunctory.

I complain about it a lot because it bothers me every time I see all-glass cladding, and I think it’s an issue in contemporary development/architecture that we should all be complaining about until it changes. I think it’s worth complaining about often.

Nuance seems absurd when dealing with a tidal wave of all-glass cladding in the current boom. Like, do we really need to be delicate about it, considering how dominant of an approach it is? I’ll start hedging my criticism of all-glass when a remotely significant number of new developments start having Picasso-like cladding.

Nobody said they are. But when the vast majority of an entire building boom are window-wall clad towers, there is a clear issue.

Building scientists and architects know the dangers of window-wall towers. But building codes are relatively lax, and developers get away with it time and time again. We don't build window-wall towers because they are the superior design choice. It's done because it's cheap, easy, and what consumers have come to expect. Everyone has been conditioned to purchase and tolerate a high level of window-wall construction. But it's going to have to change.

I'd be lying if I said that I don't enjoy many aspects of "glass" towers. There are some benefits that a high degree of glazing brings to a project, and visually, it can be very stunning. But I'm not going to defend something on a large, broad scale, when I know how reckless and irresponsible it is. If it weren't for strong lobbyists holding back the environmental standards that we hold development to in this country, things would be very different.

Go take a look through the architectural journals and blogs of the current moment, around the world. Window-wall towers are not the cutting-edge. In fact, the majority of the most respected multi-residential projects around the world in 2014 do not resemble the Toronto approach at all. Picasso is a step in the right direction in 2014.

Picasso is still window wall. I really don't see too much difference in the use of glass spandrel over an aluminum product. It's just visually different. Went through this already when glass replaced aluminum in the early 2000s.

Last edited:
I complain about it a lot because it bothers me every time I see all-glass cladding, and I think it’s an issue in contemporary development/architecture that we should all be complaining about until it changes. I think it’s worth complaining about often.

Nuance seems absurd when dealing with a tidal wave of all-glass cladding in the current boom. Like, do we really need to be delicate about it, considering how dominant of an approach it is? I’ll start hedging my criticism of all-glass when a remotely significant number of new developments start having Picasso-like cladding.

Most towers built nowadays may have an all glass facade but, they certainly don't function as a glass tower which are usually perceived as entirely vision glass. I would think exposed slabs should be of greater concern but, ends up completely ignored by the all glass tower crowd. The minuscule amount of protection window wall offers to the slab doesn't mean a whole lot when 80% of towers facade are balconies which are completely exposed with no thermal barriers whatsoever.

e. I get the sense that he thinks we should be building a series of Neuschwanstein Castles in downtown Toronto.
I wouldn't mind that at all, in fact it might be quite delightful.

This being Toronto, the fear isn't building Neuschwanstein Castles - but building them on the cheap with EIFS finishing.

I am actually looking forward to that shift in some ways - it will establish a definitive shift in period architecture (the 'Post-Clewsian' period?)

I really don't see too much difference in the use of glass spandrel over an aluminum product. It's just visually different.

This is categorically untrue. Window-wall systems, including spandrel panels, are notorious predominantly for the vast number of seals and gaskets that can fail within them. Unlike a cladding material like aluminum panels, fibre cement, etc. etc., there are so many connection points and components in the window wall and spandrel system that it's likely for something to eventually fail or begin to leak.

Aluminum panels or a rain-screen system do not have this risk / suffer from this problem. Curtain-wall is also better in this regard than window-wall.

I like what I'm seeing so far with this project. Love the subtle hits of red.

Spandrel can be back-painted glass. You can also have metal spandrel panels. The word is not tied to the material being used, but the function.

Back