Crane is for this project here I believe, which is north of the 401 and close to PTC.

Here is universal city condos, on the south side of the 401, they started shoring for this one recently so a crane should come in a bit.

There is a second set of cranes just a bit east for durham live as well on the south side of the 401 past Brock.

They are building something north of 401 and east of the mall. Along a road parallel with the mall and the 401. Not sure what it is. I supose if I read up I’d see it’s probably the retirement place? Or another one. The Durham live project is south of 401 and borders Ajax And Pickering.

They are building something north of 401 and east of the mall. Along a road parallel with the mall and the 401. Not sure what it is. I supose if I read up I’d see it’s probably the retirement place? Or another one. The Durham live project is south of 401 and borders Ajax And Pickering.
This seniors' home is what will be going in at the corner of Pickering Parkway and Glenanna.

Gutting/demolition of the former Sears wing of Pickering Town Centre is well underway.

Demolition of the Sears wing is now mostly complete.

0C01BBE6-868A-4C88-B63F-E36F8B6AA8E5.jpeg

I moved across the street from the mall a few years ago based on the fact this node is an under developed and under priced with amazing life style options and links. It is approx. 1 hour door to door from my place to drinking a beer at Liberty Village on the weekend or to most inner core offices on a weekday. An express train trip is approx. 55 min. to Adelaide and York. I can be on the train platform by walking (14 min) or riding a bike (7min). My son works near Spadina and King and it is one hour for him (yes express train). Claims of shorter times is real estate sales stuff. But then look at true door to door transit times in the GTA and 1 hour is very nice- especially if all you do is walk and take one GO train. If you look at proximity to the lake, Rouge, golf courses, or farm roads to the north, the Pickering city center is a rare combo in the GTA. There is an express 407 bus that gets you from the Pickering GO to Square 1 in around an hour. The retirement home going up in the corner, and the 3 towers on Esplanade S, are just a start. Liverpool and Kingston have 2 towers in the hopper. At a City hall meeting, CAP REIT indicated that they can put up approx 10 towers on their land. Sobeys closed in the failing big box complex east of Brock and town houses et al are going in there- I expect that land will dramatically change except for Lowes and Walmart. You can see how the Loblaws land west of Liverpool is way under used and being walking distance to GO, is prime. I think the developments south of the 401 are easy, but the ones north of the 401 are more valuable as they are closer to hub of everything- stores, bars, transit et al. You go more than 500-1000m from the GO station, the node value drops big time because the door to door time is no longer competitive. But then I am no expert.

I moved across the street from the mall a few years ago based on the fact this node is an under developed and under priced with amazing life style options and links. It is approx. 1 hour door to door from my place to drinking a beer at Liberty Village on the weekend or to most inner core offices on a weekday. An express train trip is approx. 55 min. to Adelaide and York. I can be on the train platform by walking (14 min) or riding a bike (7min). My son works near Spadina and King and it is one hour for him (yes express train). Claims of shorter times is real estate sales stuff. But then look at true door to door transit times in the GTA and 1 hour is very nice- especially if all you do is walk and take one GO train. If you look at proximity to the lake, Rouge, golf courses, or farm roads to the north, the Pickering city center is a rare combo in the GTA. There is an express 407 bus that gets you from the Pickering GO to Square 1 in around an hour. The retirement home going up in the corner, and the 3 towers on Esplanade S, are just a start. Liverpool and Kingston have 2 towers in the hopper. At a City hall meeting, CAP REIT indicated that they can put up approx 10 towers on their land. Sobeys closed in the failing big box complex east of Brock and town houses et al are going in there- I expect that land will dramatically change except for Lowes and Walmart. You can see how the Loblaws land west of Liverpool is way under used and being walking distance to GO, is prime. I think the developments south of the 401 are easy, but the ones north of the 401 are more valuable as they are closer to hub of everything- stores, bars, transit et al. You go more than 500-1000m from the GO station, the node value drops big time because the door to door time is no longer competitive. But then I am no expert.
I work in the plaza next to the GO Station. As it is right now, it’s a bit of an unpleasant walk to anything. Walking to the mall isn’t so bad with the bridge, though (annoyingly there is no direct access to my office from the GO Station). All of my coworkers prefer driving everywhere, even to the Tim Hortons down the road. I hope in the future things will be more walkable.

Great first post @Boag97! Welcome to UrbanToronto!

It takes longer than an hour to reach Liberty Village from Midtown Toronto.

I am excited about what could be done at Pickering Town Centre. They could really make an exciting human-scaled, high-density downtown district with easy access to Downtown Toronto here.

I drove by the site last weekend and they're paving a massive surface level parking lot, including high-mast lighting. They're also constructing the new mall entrance rendered beside the library. But considering the rendering includes a large underground garage, it doesn't look like any construction will start soon. Will take a closer look next time I'm nearby and grab some photos.

I drove by the site last weekend and they're paving a massive surface level parking lot, including high-mast lighting. They're also constructing the new mall entrance rendered beside the library. But considering the rendering includes a large underground garage, it doesn't look like any construction will start soon. Will take a closer look next time I'm nearby and grab some photos.
They are surfacing the parking lot because that area is part of future phases. Phase 1 will be built near the old famous players.The new library will be built in the old famous players cinema and the 50 storey tower will be built at the street entrance (near the lights at Glenanna and The Esplanade South). Due to Covid-19 , construction on the redevelopment was postponed and is expected to start this fall. In addition, the 50 storey tower, library and arts centre will be using the same underground parking. This underground structure will be built in the famous players parking lot.

Attachments

• 123106241_354088339203249_2712758769092549220_n.jpg
    123106241_354088339203249_2712758769092549220_n.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 123279350_648318142721375_7667690486855153239_n.jpg
    123279350_648318142721375_7667690486855153239_n.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 210
Are they demo'ing the whole mall? Seems strange for a regional mall that's not in a declining area.

No.

If you look back through the thread, this proposal reflects the former Sears and some other adjacent spaces on the east side of the mall.

Current plans do not involve removing the balance of the property.

Not that I would oppose that..................

The current mall is viable..............but is considered a tier 2 property.

It's not owned by either CF or Oxford.

Back