Thanks!

Neat, there are some renderings available. Nothing to scream
about, but it isn't too bad either (though I found the "Megastage" rather awkward). No info on the reported Alsop building.

AoD

interchange:

Indeed, it would have looked more aA than Alsop. I do like the way the offices "wraps" around the stages and provide a more animated facade.

AoD

Wait, they did mention Alsop under 4(Vision)>Explore - click on the buildings on the right side of the map (Filmport community).

Also nice to see that the studio buildings are enclosed within the Filmport community, which will front the Shipping Channel directly.

AoD

If the Alsop building is 'Block 2: Production and Stages', then it's pretty restrained Alsop.

Is FilmPort still being constructed or are they using that land to build other buildings?

^the piles have been driven and the sign outside does say Filmport

Phase 1 is under construction and will be open early 2008.

Pics from Friday. Quite a large area covered by current work, but not very far advanced as yet.

Filmport1.jpg

Filmport2.jpg

Filmport3.jpg

Filmport4.jpg

Filmport5.jpg

I think I believe it. I've been surprised as to how quickly warehouses and big box stores can go up once land clearance has started - Flimport should be similar to modern warehouses in terms of building requirements (heights, open floor plans, basic interiors), or am I really wrong?

Yeah, that's true. I remember being amazed at how quickly Vaughan Mills went from being an abandoned field by Wonderland to a fully completed megamall.

As an aside, that must be one of the last remaining, street-level beacon lights left in the city. I remember seeing those all over the place when I was a kid, usually near rail-level crossings along the waterfront when the place was littered with still-active sidings.

We drove past it last week and there seems to be elevator shafts rising a few stories above grade. The Filmport would appear to be under construction, but relatively slowly.

Back