"The city wants to make sure that certain areas retain an industrial use... ," Toronto Councillor Sandra Bussin said. "Yes, there are jobs at Wal-Mart, but not the kind of high-quality jobs that you would find in the industrial sector."
She is the same councillor who voted against those same high quality jobs at Porter Airlines and PEC.

That application is headed for the Ontario Municipal Board, he said. If approved, the plan calls for the two partners to build a retail and residential development, Reisman said.
See the Hearing and Decision Information on this application at the OMB.

See Council’s direction on an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB)

This is great opportunity for an area that has seen better days. The city should work with the developer and put together a solid plan that is respectful to the neighbourhood instead of wasting time and resources at OMB because they are adamantly opposed to 'big-box' retailing downtown. Canadian Tire, Mark's WorkWarehouse and Shoppers Drug are building a retail complex accross the street.

So is this Walmart to be on the old Toronto Film Studios site after they move to the portlands, or is it to be part of the new filmport?

The real question here is whether or not they are going to stucco the exterior.

So is this Walmart to be on the old Toronto Film Studios site after they move to the portlands, or is it to be part of the new filmport?
At the current site on Eastern & Pape once they move to FilmPort.

considering the number of large scale, multi-year brownfield re-development schemes in the central area which I look forward to seeing completed, I'd rather this area remain industrial or become disposable big box as not to add more competition to residential intensification which will see its up and downs as well as political changes

Not surprised at all, seeing how the studio isn't even being built yet (its been delayed since the spring now) I don't see it going up at all. Reminds me of other projects in this city that never got off to the building point. Smoke and mirrors it looks to me :(

FilmPort is in the building stage. The sod-turning was a few week's back.

Does anyone have any links to media releases regarding filmport?

If construction has begun, this is huge news! This will signify beyond a doubt that something major will finally come of almost a decade of Toronto chasing mega studios.

There was always the possibility we could end up not achieving a studio at all, but now among its other merits, we will get a Canadian owned and operated studio with North America's single biggest sound stage, as well as Toronto's first Alsop designed office building.

Personally, I think this is one of the most exciting projects around, and I am so glad this derelict land will finally be reintroduced into our cityscape.

Filmport...where are you? Does anyone have any news? Is this thing still on?

FilmPort is in the building stage. The sod-turning was a few week's back.

The sod turning wAS 3 MONTHS AGO and it is indeed a busy site.

My wife, the film art director, will be thrilled that it's really about a new Walmart.

Think about it. Rose Corp should get what they deserve.

P.S. if you were paying attention Walmart (no, not Home Depot though they gave it a try) had designs on the brownfields long ago.

That must be the best news I've heard all week!

I'll have to get down there and check this out myself.

^not much to see

pretty much the last 3 months have gone to site clearing which includes piles of debris and broken concrete

FILMPORT - Toronto | Is it still a go?

I haven't heard boo about this project for awhile now. Does anyone know the status of this project? Have any new(er) renderings of the studios surfaced?8)

Back