good to hear that 33 Bay is seeking for increased height from 46s to 50s ... but on the other hand it is too bad the the complex's composition will be altered in that the 54s Success Tower will no longer be a significantly taller structure within the Pinnacle Centre project ... a 4 storey difference between Success and 33 Bay will not be noticible

I disagree. What about Maple Leaf Sq? Theres only a 4 story difference between those two towers but I still find the difference noticeable.

I disagree. What about Maple Leaf Sq? Theres only a 4 story difference between those two towers but I still find the difference noticeable.
I think these 2 are closer together than MLS towers. I was already assuming Success 2 was going look like the same building as Success from most angles and end up looking like a giant cheap green glass slab. Let's hope not but if I'm right hopefully ICE turns out well and takes the focus away from them/it.

personally, i enjoy seeing twin towers rise next to each other, especially given the prominence (or overkill) of complexes like MLS, RoCP, Murano, Ice, U Condos, X and X2, etc... Perhaps this obsession takes after the original brilliance and success of New City Hall?

anyway, there is something to be said about symmetry and the dominating presence of two towers. granted, i also have a fetish for height. here's an interesting quotation on architectural symmetry, lifted from David Mazzucchelli's graphic novel, Asterios Polyp: "In the certitude of symmetry, the consonance of counterpoise, Asterios found a measure of solace." The character argues, that duality (and its attractiveness) is rooted in nature and the functions of the brain. He says, the WTC, for example, was brilliant precisely because "there are two of them."

it's a terribly interesting and beautifully crafted book. i recommend it to everyone on this forum.

asterios-polyp-bookcover1.jpg

Last edited:
Photo I took on my way down to a meeting yesterday afternoon.

4540792422_6668a0aaf2_b.jpg

The more that the area around the Gardner gets developed the less and less I think it is a barrier. It seemed worse when you had to walk past empty lots or parking lots to get under it. But now that it is being surrounded by development it really is like crossing any other major road, with the added benefit of shelter when it rains. I have significant concern that tearing it down and pushing all the traffic onto Lake Shore is going to make for a far worse experience for walkers than what we have now.

That is my sense of the situation too.

Photo I took on my way down to a meeting yesterday afternoon.
The more that the area around the Gardner gets developed the less and less I think it is a barrier. It seemed worse when you had to walk past empty lots or parking lots to get under it. But now that it is being surrounded by development it really is like crossing any other major road, with the added benefit of shelter when it rains. I have significant concern that tearing it down and pushing all the traffic onto Lake Shore is going to make for a far worse experience for walkers than what we have now.

I see what you're saying. It's only a barrier if you let it be and all that and I also applaud the development filling in the surface parking lots of the past.
I still would love to see it go though. An elevated concrete and steel highway just seems so 1960s now. It's sure to increase the value of the surrounding developments as well, should it be demolished.
I also think that tearing down the Gardiner will be the so-called poison pill that many people in this city collectively need to swallow in order to finally push them over the edge in the push for better transit and a better quality of life that isn't reliant on owning your own car. It would be symbolic in its own way.

^I doubt it. Most of Toronto is, and will be for many years, dominated by suburbanites and suburban way of thinking. Tearing down the Gardiner would only benefit Milton, K-W and other areas. I think more people would leave Toronto. Besides, coming in on the Greydog is so dramatic, big city feeling compared to crawling along other streets, via the elevated highway. I think underneath the highway is what needs to be examined==brighter colourful paint and lighting, sculptures, residential and commercial uses permitted, etc.

Tearing down the Gardiner would only benefit Milton, K-W and other areas.

Errr... not seeing the logic here.

I'm not for tearing down the Gardiner. But like usual I don't see anything sensible or bordering on reality in your post.

Well clearly you don't live in reality...:p

The reality is Toronto would lose customers (residents, businesses, and more) to suburban cities closer to the American border. Why spend another hour stuck in traffic hauling auto parts around when you could be based out of south Cambridge? I also believe many of these condo folks in LV etc are in fact ex-suburbanites that are still tied to family or jobs in the western suburbs. Would they tolerate increased congestion with the removal of the Gardiner? They could easily pack up and move to Milton! Knowing quite a few of these folks, that wouldn't surprise me...!

I know Boston isn't a perfect example as they still have a downtown freeway that is now underground, but did the big dig cause any loss to 'buisness' at all? I don't know, but am now curious.

Secondly, would the gardiner be put underground or would it be turned in to lakeshore part deux.

Thirdly, San Fran tore down their lakeshore (oceanshore?) type highway and I think they are still doing alright.

A Tunnel (see Berlin, Boston...)with 2 or 3 access to lakeshore is right answer IMO...def expansive...but the right thing to do

There are several Gardiner threads in the Transportation & Infrastructure subforum, so it would be better to take this discussion there. Here's the main thread.

Thanks!

From Telus:

33BayfromTelus.jpg

Back