We are waiting for confirmation that the amendment has been approved!

54 and 52 floors? That's incredible, a total of 106 floors between them! AFAIK, that would put Success 1 and 2 (AKA 33 Bay) in second place by floors on the 'Toronto twin tower' list, behind ICE (total 120 floors), but ahead of MLS (total 102 floors), U Condominiums (total 100 floors), 2183 Lake Share West (total 100 floors) and RoCP (total 97 floors).

Interestingly, the top three pairs of towers would be located within a few blocks of each other, in the 'south core'.

Last edited:
54 and 52 floors? That's incredible, a total of 106 floors between them! AFAIK, that would put Success 1 and 2 (AKA 33 Bay) in second place by floors on the 'Toronto twin tower' list, behind ICE (total 120 floors), but ahead of MLS (total 102 floors), U Condominiums (total 100 floors), 2183 Lake Share West (total 100 floors) and RoCP (total 97 floors).

Who cares?

I mean, it's not that outrageous, but are we going to start adding up the floor count between all the grey buildings and compare them to all the green buildings?

You know, taal, maybe you shouldn't post when you're on the rag. It would save a lot of annoyance for those of us who are trying to contribute something positive to this board, instead of just pissing on other members' posts.

RoCP is 97 floors of ugliness that we could do without. Success is pretty mediocre too, like an inappropriate exclamation mark marking the forest of banality over there. Two exclamation marks actually, in case the first one wasn't enough!!

Well, if you assume 3m per additional floor you end up at 153m or 502 feet. But that is not an official number.

Kind of like The Lightbox without the podium...but then again a lot of people will disagree on the camparison..

festival1.jpg
success-tower1.gif

Last edited:
You know, taal, maybe you shouldn't post when you're on the rag. It would save a lot of annoyance for those of us who are trying to contribute something positive to this board, instead of just pissing on other members' posts.

On a rag?

But honestly I didn't mean anything offensive by it so I apologize. There was a back story to the comment anyway - just a general rant against an obsession with floor count / height verse actual design.

Coming to Committee of Adjustment on 23 June: See: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_agenda_23june10.pdf

34. 33 BAY ST
File Number: A0169/10TEY Zoning CR T6.7 C5.1 R1.7
(WAIVER); By-law 42-87,
By-law 763-87, By-law 362-
Owner(s): PINNACLE INTERNATIONAL
(BAY ST) LTD
PINNACLE INTERNATIONAL
(BAY ST) LTD[
Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
(28)
Agent: JASON PARK
Property Address: 33 BAY ST Community:
Legal Description: PLAN 655E PT BLK 5 RP63R4064 PT PARTS 1 3 9 PARTS 10 TO 15
RP66R22447 PARTS 1 TO 4 9 15 TO 20 22 TO 51 AND 54 TO 57
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To modify the redevelopment plan to construct a 52-storey mixed-use building - Building D - which is
comprised of the construction of four additional storeys on top of the 46-storey mixed-use building - Building D,
the conversion of a portion of the previously approved mechanical penthouse for two additional storeys for
residential purposes, and the introduction of additional retail space along the Gardiner Expressway frontage .
These modifications affect the height of the building, the gross floor area of the building and the dwelling units,
the proposed unit count, the parking, and the indoor amenity space.

June 19 2010 update

Success Tower
Click to Enlarge

The uppers floors are a nice touch to Success - the 'racing strips' actually got built (hopefully concrete will be painted though)

Success 2 / 33 Bay - quickly rising to the 20th floor

Ya I love the racing stripes, but in the renders they look like they're supposed to be on black, so I really do hope they paint the underside of the canopy, although I doubt they will at this point. Would look so much better if they did.

Last edited:
Is there anything close to a consensus on Success Towers? It looks great with its different sections on the facade set at slight angles and has many interesting details like those stripes and that glass box crowning the thin vertical element. The thin vertical element nicely unifies the different components of the facade. The downside is that the cladding is dull and the height might be inappropriate for the location south of the Gardiner.

Back