No offense intended with my post. Just an offhand remark that was apparently in bad taste.

Im just playing bro... its all good. Just wondering if anyone in Toronto has anything good to say about Cityplace???
(Success, MLS Etc.)

Sorry bud - not much good to say about it. The developers came from out of the GTA and dont live here. They had no vested interest in what happened here so they built condo towers with no street connection and no visual appeal. And as luck would have it they found a deal on glass and made all the buildings look the same. No skin off their nose, they came to make money and they did. A lot of people now have a place to live - mostly renters from what I hear. In fifteen years we will have another St. James town - only this time the ownseship will be fractural and potentially easier for each to walk away from.

Sorry bud - not much good to say about it. The developers came from out of the GTA and dont live here. They had no vested interest in what happened here so they built condo towers with no street connection and no visual appeal. And as luck would have it they found a deal on glass and made all the buildings look the same. No skin off their nose, they came to make money and they did. A lot of people now have a place to live - mostly renters from what I hear. In fifteen years we will have another St. James town - only this time the ownseship will be fractural and potentially easier for each to walk away from.

It's not that bad, dude.

Are you seious???? St Jamestown is as close as Canada gets to "projects", or low income housing in a big city. (It's not even close to the west side of Atlanta, or even Detroit.) But a little pespective, would be nice. They may not be perfect(cityplace) , but in todays digital age, you can live in a much smaller space.
Any subdivision, spread out in a cornfield 35 miles outta town, has NO street retail. NO night life, NO connection to public transit. NO walkable experiences, NO interaction in public spaces,( gyms/lobbys/saunas/atriums, etc. NO access to ACC/ Rogers/ the lake. This is a vertical suburb buddy. Love it. The quality of the average track housing, is very shoddy at best. Plus theres no condo board, ensuring upkeep, you don't need a car, you can look out your windows and see the city from 450 ft up in the air. These are perfect for middle class Canadians, and should be welcomed to the fabric of the city.
Lastly, you ask 100 people, ( none of whom read this negativity) from Whichita which looks better, St jamestown or cityplace, it would be unanimous!!! 100%
Of course its not ShangriLa, THATS WHY WERE STILL BUILDING HIGH END SHANGRILAS!!:cool:

That's it exactly. It's no slum like St. Jamestown, but it's a vertical suburb; safe and bland.

To each their own. If you live there and you are happy, thats great, you don't need my opinion. But if you go and ask for it, then you get what you asked for.

Personally I remain very disappoionted that city planners couldn't have been a little more demanding - but I guess they did what they could or were instructed to do and it's all history now. City Place is a cluster of new condos, built with the sole mission of creating a return for the developer. They did not use high end glass or other longer lasting building materials - it's no different than a subdivision built in the suburbs. Build fast to keep costs down. build them one after the other to keep the trades and keep them circulating through the buildings. There are no distinguishing features or architectural novelties - just build 'em and go on to the next.

Say what you want but you all know they had a once in a lifetime opportunity to build some outstanding architecture in an outstanding location - did they?

Last edited:
When I show my friends here in Minny, pics of the lakefront they oooh and ahhh over it. Lit up curved facades, balconies, freeway access, Bremner's lazy curves. The arenas right there. The lit crowns at night, look amazing.
The lightbox isn't as interesting as most of cityplace, to look at. Everyone loves the lightbox. I think thats a boring design, too boxy, if they had built all boxes, you'd all be hangin yourselves.I think these stand up to any other recent area around N.A.

from today
20101204055.jpg

20101204056.jpg

20101204061.jpg

20101204062.jpg

Great pics man, this tower seems to have gone up incredibly quickly no???? Seems like not that long ago it was at ground level, I cant remember the foundation was already done correct??
I count 42 floors, but my eyes watered, near the top. ??? Almost topped out already.

A couple more quick shots from the "backside" along the Quay. Nice cluster forming...

Attachments

• IMG00423-20101217-0952.jpg
    IMG00423-20101217-0952.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG00424-20101217-0954.jpg
    IMG00424-20101217-0954.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG00426-20101217-0955.jpg
    IMG00426-20101217-0955.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 220

Back