The Fox used to be at this site before construction started (in the heritage building). This location always had a different (and better) atmosphere than other Fox locations, hopefully they can retain a bit of that feel in the new one.

And If I remember correctly, the people of Fox are the same people of Citta, so it makes sense that they are together here too. Guessing La Zona was Fox's alone, and they managed to get the other partners involved again here to open it as Citta instead.

From today:

P1450090.jpg

Attachments

• P1450090.jpg
    P1450090.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 2,207
This Saturday while on a Jane's walk we stopped out in front of this building in the courtyard to listen to Paul Bedford talk for a few minutes about the building. Within one minute of stopping here we were loudly told to leave because we were on "Private property!!" We were told that we could stand on the 1 m sidewalk instead. It was a crowd of about 100 people. The sidewalk would not have been a realistic option. People didn't really seem to concerned about the request, and it was pretty funny. I figured the security guard just needed to feel important. But it was also kind of sad because what's the point of making public spaces if you aren't even going to let people use them? That's always been my issue with POPS.

This Saturday while on a Jane's walk we stopped out in front of this building in the courtyard to listen to Paul Bedford talk for a few minutes about the building. Within one minute of stopping here we were loudly told to leave because we were on "Private property!!" We were told that we could stand on the 1 m sidewalk instead. It was a crowd of about 100 people. The sidewalk would not have been a realistic option. People didn't really seem to concerned about the request, and it was pretty funny. I figured the security guard just needed to feel important. But it was also kind of sad because what's the point of making public spaces if you aren't even going to let people use them? That's always been my issue with POPS.

Im pretty sure this space has not been dedicated yet, so its still a fine line between the public/private use of the space. I haven't seen anyone kicked out of any of the POPs in CityPlace or the surrounding area so I'm not that worried about the concept. They seem to work once they become official.

Im pretty sure this space has not been dedicated yet, so its still a fine line between the public/private use of the space. I haven't seen anyone kicked out of any of the POPs in CityPlace or the surrounding area so I'm not that worried about the concept. They seem to work once they become official.

For some reason, the edit post button isn't working for me today...

Just checked the City of TO website, and this space isn't a POPS yet. It's listed as future POPS, which makes sense as there is still construction going on in the space.

My late father passed on a piece of advice to me that has always been worthy of attention. "Son, always beware of corporals." By that he meant not just the military rank, but people who have just a little authority. They are touchy about that authority, resent any apparent challenge to it and often don't know when to bend the rules to fit the circumstances.

It sounds as if the tour ran into a corporal.

From today, they are installing a large screen in the plaza and the restaurant patio is open.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2885.JPG
    IMG_2885.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 1,427
  • IMG_2873.JPG
    IMG_2873.JPG
    908.3 KB · Views: 1,392
  • IMG_2872.JPG
    IMG_2872.JPG
    812.4 KB · Views: 1,401
Hmm, that patio cleans up the sidewalk pretty nicely, and makes it look more urban/less suburban. The stripmall look is definitely softened.

I also think that they've integrated the heritage buildings nicely.

They now look entirely out of context, of course, but I'm not against the jarring reminder of the street's past.

The public realm is coming together, but the fountain is not finished yet (and the improvements to the John Street sidewalks could happen tomorrow please!). Yesterday:

DSC03265.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03265.jpg
    DSC03265.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 718
The public art/video installation is interesting. Never seen anything like that in these parts.

Sadly, The Fox were in such a rush to open their patio they seem to have forgotten to make it even remotely attractive. (Not that it matters, it's still packed and the street life is welcome. But a little more flair to counteract this building's cold podium would be welcome!)

Back