I completely agree that more 'randomness' is required, and that those preliminary sketches are AWFUL. I like that one corner of the square has been lopped off to give the building a more unique shape - but those gawd awful spires have to go. Why does every concept have to show some kind of "point" to try and hit a home run with the design? Take them off and the buildings can be quite beautiful all on their own.

It's also a shame that the gas station will remain, but short of building the own a new station on both ends of this new development, the guy has every right to stay. That corner would ideally become a transit entry point if a subway was genuinely considered - which would be the only way to force a change - but I don't see an underground ever being implement here.

I too have some concerns about the parking and transit issues, but think some tweaks to both transit availability and parking spots can happen to allow the project to proceed.

thanks yyzer ! :)

I like what I see in the future ~

from today's Daily Commercial News...........:eek:

RESIDENTIAL, COMMERICIAL, OFFICE DEVELOPMENT Proj: 9096327-2

Mississauga, Peel Reg ON PREPARING PLANS

Blocks 2 to 8, Eglinton Ave W, Hurontario Street, Cooksville Creek, L5R
$375,400,000 est

Note: Owner is seeking City Council site plan approvals. Approvals are expected late Fall, 2009. Schedules for Working drawings, tender and construction of Block One have been finalized. This block will now be followed under report number 9106773. Schedules for Working drawings, tender and construction of subsequent blocks are undetermined. Further update Winter, 2009.
Project: proposed construction of a mixed-use development. Block Two will include one mid-rise apartment tower, ranging in height from 6-12 storeys with a maximum area of 127,950 sq ft, 128 residential units and retail space at grade level; One 18 storey 145,529 sq ft apartment building with 159 units and retail space at grade level; One 25 storey, 204,283 sq ft apartment tower with 225 units; and one 50 storey 406,876 sq ft apartment tower with 450 units. Also included will be eight 4-storey, three bedroom townhouse units in one block with a maximum area of 19,633 sq ft. Block Three will include one 18-storey, 145,420 apartment tower with 159 units and retail space at grade level; One 42-storey, 367,318 sq ft apartment building with 429 units and retail and office space at grade level; and one 42-storey 367,318 sq ft apartment building with 429 units and retail and office space at grade level. This Block may also include a private amenity block for residents with recreation space for residents and further retail space. Block Four will include one midrise 12-storey, 136,917 sq ft apartment building with 168 units. One 18-storey, 149,930 sq ft apartment building with 159 units and retail space at grade level. One 42-storey 386,209 sq ft apartment tower with 429 units and retail and office space at grade level. Block Five will include one midrise 12 storey 145,388 sq ft apartment building with 88 units and retail space at grade level. One midrise 6-12 storey, 190,671 sq ft apartment building with 279 units. 41 three-storey townhouse units, with a total area of 50,310 sq ft. The project will also include construction of public parkland and green space in blocks six, seven and eight. Block One; a 25 storey apartment building with 352 units and a 28 storey apartment tower with 425 units and ten townhouse units in one structure will now be followed under report number 9106773.

Scope: 3,443,756 square feet; 32 storeys; 15 structures; 3408 units; 5 hectares
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Shopping centres, plazas, malls; Commercial offices

The sales office is to be just west of the ESSO station on Eglinton Ave as this where the first phase of construction is to take place. They wanted the sale office up by now, but council is foot dragging.

I like to see some more mid size building in place of the townhouses.

I love Eve Adam the ward councilor comments say this was going to be another Yorkville considering the project is not even close to what Yorkville has now.

If the city allows the other 2 corners to be develop like this, it will out strip anything by York Region for Yonge St.

I'm not sure they would say Yorkville to imply that it's the higher end area, but that it's a sort of 2nd center, north of the main center.

There is a bunch of midsize buildings that weren't highlighted by Solaris, but I sort of agree that having more midsize and fewer of these 40+ towers might be preferable - maybe one tower at 42 and another at 50, with a larger number between 20~25.

There can't be anything like this on the SE corner with the retail plaza, but there is still a lot of land to the east and south of that retail block. The NE corner behind the smaller Shoppers/LCBO plaza also has a lot of room to work with - but there would be some major traffic problems if they repeat this density all the way around, in addition to the Kingsbridge/Tucana density that is already in place.

That stretch of Hurontario between Burnhamthorpe and Eglinton is already a pain sometimes, I can only imagine what it would be like with 3X the number of condos to the north of the 403. There currently isn't enough incentive for people to shift over to Confederation/McLaughlin to the west, or Kennedy to the east, since neither feeds to the 403 or 401.

There can't be anything like this on the SE corner with the retail plaza, but there is still a lot of land to the east and south of that retail block. The NE corner behind the smaller Shoppers/LCBO plaza also has a lot of room to work with - but there would be some major traffic problems if they repeat this density all the way around, in addition to the Kingsbridge/Tucana density that is already in place.

That stretch of Hurontario between Burnhamthorpe and Eglinton is already a pain sometimes, I can only imagine what it would be like with 3X the number of condos to the north of the 403. There currently isn't enough incentive for people to shift over to Confederation/McLaughlin to the west, or Kennedy to the east, since neither feeds to the 403 or 401.

Higher density is only way to solve traffic problems because it is only way to support higher order transit, such as LRT. After all, why does Hurontario need 6-9 lanes and Yonge Street only need 4 lanes?

Of course density is required for higher order transit, but higher order transit also has to take people where they want/need to go. Being a glorified burb, much of the density that will be added will not be occupied who live+work+play locally - much of the population still get in their cars to work throughout the GTA.

It isn't a city that was built outwards from one point like Toronto and no matter how much densification happens, the population base will ever be transit oriented as a first option. It will become a bigger and more practical option, but traffic will also increase no matter what. Adding a Hurontario LRT will help, but 3 lanes each way will always be necessary... on Burnhamthorpe as well.

Of course density is required for higher order transit, but higher order transit also has to take people where they want/need to go. Being a glorified burb, much of the density that will be added will not be occupied who live+work+play locally - much of the population still get in their cars to work throughout the GTA.

It isn't a city that was built outwards from one point like Toronto and no matter how much densification happens, the population base will ever be transit oriented as a first option. It will become a bigger and more practical option, but traffic will also increase no matter what. Adding a Hurontario LRT will help, but 3 lanes each way will always be necessary... on Burnhamthorpe as well.

Since this is not a transit thread, I'll refrain from saying too much. However, if you think the way you do, things of course will never change. Also, if transit and government does not stop thinking the way they have, which is to wait for demand first, and then build, we will also never see people leave their cars.
What must be done is the service needs to be there first, and then you lure customers.
Who wants to take an uncomfortable bus ride packed with people that takes twice as long as your heated/air conditioned comfortable car?
Don't forget that Toronto itself is also very car dependent when compared to other cities in the world.

Since this is not a transit thread, I'll refrain from saying too much. However, if you think the way you do, things of course will never change. Also, if transit and government does not stop thinking the way they have, which is to wait for demand first, and then build, we will also never see people leave their cars.
What must be done is the service needs to be there first, and then you lure customers.
Who wants to take an uncomfortable bus ride packed with people that takes twice as long as your heated/air conditioned comfortable car?
Don't forget that Toronto itself is also very car dependent when compared to other cities in the world.
I don't disagree with you at all. I actually tried to edit my post to elaborate on this further, but lost the 2 paragraphs when I hit "reply" on the left instead of "save" in the edit box.

It goes back 30+years when there was a plan in place to extend subway service to the MCC/Square One area - before demand, like you say. I haven't been here that long, but my uncle and other family friends who I have heard stories from, say that Mississauga was never willing to pitch in towards the cost of this (assuming TTC, province and feds were the other involved) and it never got off the drawing board. The logic was that it would cost too much for too little benefit, since it would carry more people out of Mississauga than it would bring in.

Well duh. The point is if you plan to grow you have to move those people around as efficiently as possible.

It was too difficult to make those decisions back then, when paving roads on plenty of open land is so much cheaper. It's much harder to find the funds to do this now and while I agree that any sort of LRT will help, transit usage in Mississauga will never be a primary option without either Eglinton or Bloor (ideally both) subway/surface extensions to tie into Toronto properly.

In a perfect world, the Bloor line comes west along Dundas, up along Hurontario and then east along Eglinton, connecting to the Eglinton line that should have been completed by now. From there, it's easy to tie a light "air train" or some such link over the 401 (around Renforth) to the airport as well. Thing is, there's been too much commercial development along Eglinton through 'sauga and it would be hard to go back in with more dense residential that would support the line properly.

Last edited:
Hopefully they release more information soon (i.e. heights) on the towers so I can add them to the 400 ft. list. Something tells me Mississauga is going to start to rev up again very soon in a big way with this and Amacon's Parkside Village

Last edited:
Council had a bird when I told them how much more transit was going to be needed to service this project.

Using current ratio, another 8 buses would be needed for peak time for this area alone. If The model split was taken to 30%, 62 buses would be needed.

The developer has requested a reduction in parking requirement and that did not sit well for staff and council. I support the reduction and long over due.

The number of tall towers for this area is fine and they will not be stand alone ones that exist today.

Hurontario St would be a continue block of both mid and high rise with retail at the base. Same for Eglinton with some townhouse by the ESSO station.

The west side of the creek area would be a green belt with some on the east side with townhouses.

Parking and traffic was the call of the day by local residents and business as well staff.

The city should have completed the traffic study for the intersection by now with some calls to remove some of the existing curb turning lanes. Not a great intersection to cross on foot.

Having the subway would go along way for moving people, but S(RT) was propose back in the late 80's early 90's not only to Sq One, but west along the 403 and said they were nuts then as well today for the 403.

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I've said it again. Gas stations at major intersections like Eglinton and at Burnhamthorpe make no sense to me at all.

If you look at the suburban 416 - Scarborough, North York, Etobicoke - they are also suburban and car-oriented design, but most of the arterials in these places are only 4 lanes for the part, and the density is far higher in the 905 where arterials are 6 lanes.

Just look at Dundas Street in Oakville - it is so congested they going to widen it to 6 lanes, even though the north side is entirely farmland! It is just madness. This is what happens when the density is too low to support decent transit.

Looking around the GTA, I don't any connection between high density and traffic congestion. The widest and most congested throughfares tend to be the ones with the lowest density.

I think Mississauga did the right thing in zoning high density at major intersections. And the intesection in question here is between two of only three designated major transit corridors in Mississauga - Eglinton and Hurontario. So low density just doesn't make sense here. The Eglinton corridor already has buses coming by every 6 minutes during rush hour and Hurontario every 3.5 minutes. This city must capitalize on the service and ridership it has built up. Intersections like this are rare in the 905.

There is a lot of potential here for improved transit and to reduce traffic congestion by getting people out of their cars. I can see BRT for Eglinton (bus only lanes down the middle of the street) and then of course there is the Hurontario LRT as well. Just imagine, if Hurontario had the same transit mode split as the 416 suburban corridors, the 19/102/202 would be busiest bus route in the GTA with over 60,000 weekday riders! The city must concentrate on this. High density developments like this are needed to fulfill that purpose.

I agree 100% with you doady. Hurontario and Eglinton are major streets and need high-density. This is basically Uptown Mississauga. Now they just need to get rid of that ugly annoying shopping centre on the southeast corner.

from today's Daily Commercial News....

CONDOMINIUM BULIDINGS, TOWNHOUSES Proj: 9106773-1

Mississauga, Peel Reg ON PREPARING PLANS
Block One, Eglinton Ave W, Hurontario St, Cooksville Creek, L5R
$72,000,000 est

Start: August, 2010 Complete: August, 2011

Note: Preliminary design is ongoing. Arch has submitted the site plan for City Council approval. Approvals are expected late Fall, 2009. Working drawings are anticipated Spring, 2010. Arch expects Owner will issue Invited tender for Gen Cont Summer, 2010. Building permit approvals are expected Summer, 2010. Further update late Spring, 2010.

Project: proposed construction of two condominium buildings. The proposed buildings will be a 25 storey building with 352 units and a 28 storey building with 425 units. Also included in this block will be ten townhouse units in one structure with an area of 24,542 sq ft. This is the first block of the Residential development followed under report number 9096327.
Scope: 667,754 square feet; 28 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 3 structures; 435 units; 2 acres
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs

Back